Windows 10---ARGH!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Nate

Re: Windows 10---ARGH!

Post by Nate »

My last experience with it was with this very 2 in 1 I'm currently using when I got it two or three weeks ago. Came with Windows 10 preinstalled, I decided to back it up in case of problems with Linux and tablet hardware that may not have been supported yet. So even though the OS was preinstalled, I spent about half a day installing the updates, watching it fail a few times at various stages and resuming the process when required. After that it was about 10 minutes to install a third party program to create the back up, already had a thumb drive I'd turned into a Mint Xfce boot stick and all up it took around 20 minutes to install and thankfully not much longer to fully set up.

I think the part that really boggles my mind was how it was the other way around 10 or 20 years ago. Used to be older Windows installations (like WIndows 98 for example) would still be lengthy but they rarely had anything go wrong for me and Linux at the time required a lot of hands on work to get up and going properly.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

YEP - - these days, you will spend some Time in Maintaining any Windows System,
and lots of Time in Using any Linux System.
:D

this Linux Stuff has come a long way, & that Windows Stuff has slid a long way.
:shock:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

JerryF wrote:The day before yesterday at work, the Fall Creators Update came through for Windows 10 on my office computer. That installation of the update failed. Yesterday, the installation was successful, and took about 2 hours. :evil:

Today, I have Windows 10 in a virtual machine so that I can use TurboTax. I just started up Windows and what do I get? The "Getting your computer ready. Don't turn off your computer." message. :cry:

Try to get any real work done on Windows without updates or the preparation for updates and you'd be lucky!

Just had to get that of my chest.

Thanks.
I actually use Intuit's free (though they have non-free if you need specific extras) web-based TurboTax. I've used it for the past several years, and it works beautifully for my tax needs, in a browser on my OS of choice, and hasn't cost me a dime yet.

Even though it will warn you at the beginning that it is not optimized for display in Linux, I promise you'd never know it. I use Chrome, and everything works and renders perfectly.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Portreve wrote:I actually use Intuit's free (though they have non-free if you need specific extras) web-based TurboTax. I've used it for the past several years, and it works beautifully for my tax needs, in a browser on my OS of choice, and hasn't cost me a dime yet.

Even though it will warn you at the beginning that it is not optimized for display in Linux, I promise you'd never know it. I use Chrome, and everything works and renders perfectly.
Thank you Portreve for your suggestion. Many people have suggested that. Unfortunately, I need the Deluxe version of TurboTax, so doing them by browser is not an option.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

JerryF wrote:Thank you Portreve for your suggestion. Many people have suggested that. Unfortunately, I need the Deluxe version of TurboTax, so doing them by browser is not an option.
Huh... Intuit does have a web offering of Deluxe. What's the difference between that and an installed version?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Portreve wrote:
JerryF wrote:Thank you Portreve for your suggestion. Many people have suggested that. Unfortunately, I need the Deluxe version of TurboTax, so doing them by browser is not an option.
Huh... Intuit does have a web offering of Deluxe. What's the difference between that and an installed version?
Yes, but you start off using the web, then pay when you file. I do several returns, so it's cheaper for me to outright buy Deluxe. Plus, I don't want sensitive information going through the web.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I briefly had Windows 10 on my tablet, soon got rid of it due to the compulsory update policy amongst other things. One REALLY irritating "feature" of Win8.x & Win10 adds to the general screen hogging experience: auto-maximize. On small tablets, in PC mode, it can not be disabled, effectively crippling multi-tasking. What were they thinking? :roll:

No matter whether you set something to open in "Normal Window" or "Maximized" the application e.g. Notepad opens maximized. Same for dialog boxes, including those without the window controls in the titlebar. These ALL open full-screen with no obvious way of un-maximizing meaning you can't do anything else. :evil:

It's yet another example of MS taking freedom and choice away from Windows users. Like many others here, I voted with my feet.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Win 10 is probably why the internet is getting slower with so many huge updates.
I have NEVER used win 10, and from what I read glad of it.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

What's wrong with Windows? I have had XP on my workshop computer for years to control a cnc milling machine - no internet connection, no updates, no problems :D

On the other hand W10 on a laptop - ugh but Fusion 360 won't run on XP :cry:

Russell
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I managed around 150 PCs with Windows 7 and this made me go bald
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

The hardest part of managing a hive of Windows PCs is managing the users. Here is a typical morning:
  • I just clicked OK and now I can't see my files.
  • I accidently drag-dropped my presentations folder somewhere and now I can't find it.
  • The computer says Windows needs to reboot to complete updates... what should I do?
  • My virus checker won't let me go to this website... how do I disable it?
  • Is there any reason why we can't have a Windows NAS instead of these Linux and BSD Models?
  • My computer is slow (well... you have 50 spreadsheets, 25 documents, 3 browsers, and Outllook open, plus you're playing a movie and browsing the toilet website).
  • My mouse is moving funny when I'm not touching it.
  • My wireless keyboard stopped working... do you think it's the batteries?.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

trapperjohn wrote:The hardest part of managing a hive of Windows PCs is managing the users. Here is a typical morning
^^ :roll:

Sounds just like the modern-day version of some of our customers when I was in the TV service trade. Some would ask the stupidest of questions.

Mind you, so did a few of our trainees ...
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

trapperjohn wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:45 pm The hardest part of managing a hive of Windows PCs is managing the users. Here is a typical morning:
  • I just clicked OK and now I can't see my files.
  • I accidently drag-dropped my presentations folder somewhere and now I can't find it.
  • The computer says Windows needs to reboot to complete updates... what should I do?
  • My virus checker won't let me go to this website... how do I disable it?
  • Is there any reason why we can't have a Windows NAS instead of these Linux and BSD Models?
  • My computer is slow (well... you have 50 spreadsheets, 25 documents, 3 browsers, and Outllook open, plus you're playing a movie and browsing the toilet website).
  • My mouse is moving funny when I'm not touching it.
  • My wireless keyboard stopped working... do you think it's the batteries?.
Yikes! I'm surprised that you're not in jail for murdering these people! LOL
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

JerryF wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:40 pm
trytip wrote:windows 7 still works for me
I liked Windows 7. Unfortunately, it's already in extended support and will end on January 14, 2020.

I did too. I still have it, but since it rarely gets used for Internet I stopped updating it. Like Arch, it's where I want it, so I leave it alone.

The only duty it sees these days is when I have something that linux can't open (fewer and fewer these days), or when I want to retouch photos (GiMP is good, but I have some pro software that only runs on Windows) and then print them.

If Canon would start issuing Linux drivers again, I wouldn't have to boot Windows to print them. :(
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MintBean wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:58 pm Yeah Damien, tell me about it mate! :)

It gets better... some guy I vaguely know at the local club this afternoon started bigging me up about how great I am with computers and how my old man tells him how great I am at work programming computers. I'm sitting there thinking.... wait for it.....
"I've got a couple of machines you can have a look at."
"No I don't do computer repair or maintenance"
Depends on the situation...

"I have an old Supra. If you would fix my ... I'd be happy to look at your computer".

I'm still looking for the mechanic that will take that bet on the blown head gasket! ;)

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:02 pm
MintBean wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:58 pm Yeah Damien, tell me about it mate! :)

It gets better... some guy I vaguely know at the local club this afternoon started bigging me up about how great I am with computers and how my old man tells him how great I am at work programming computers. I'm sitting there thinking.... wait for it.....
"I've got a couple of machines you can have a look at."
"No I don't do computer repair or maintenance"
Depends on the situation...

"I have an old Supra. If you would fix my ... I'd be happy to look at your computer".

I'm still looking for the mechanic that will take that bet on the blown head gasket! ;)
Ha... maybe that's the way I should play it. :lol:
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

It still baffles me that so many regular people even use that garbage, let alone businesses. Even my dad's out spreading the word of Linux. People need to know there's another alternative out there. M$ would have us all believe their way is the only way and the right way, but I think we need to burst their silly little manipulative bubble. Perhaps we're doing just that, one Linux user at a time. Few things get me riled up so much as M$ and their Windows. :x

To think -- I used to be a Windows fanboy. :roll:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Termy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:01 pm It still baffles me that so many regular people even use that garbage, let alone businesses. Even my dad's out spreading the word of Linux. People need to know there's another alternative out there. M$ would have us all believe their way is the only way and the right way, but I think we need to burst their silly little manipulative bubble. Perhaps we're doing just that, one Linux user at a time. Few things get me riled up so much as M$ and their Windows. :x

To think -- I used to be a Windows fanboy. :roll:
Me too. But at one time it was good.

Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Agreed! I loved Windows; it was awesome. I even loved Windows 7. Things started going down hill after I got 8.1 (I skipped Vista, as you might imagine :P). lol I used 8.1 for ages though, as I tweaked it to make it look and function much more like those before it.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Termy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:01 pm Even my dad's out spreading the word of Linux.
Your dad, and my mom. :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Open Chat”