Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

xed warnings

Post by scrognoid » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:58 pm

Working through setting up a new installation of Mint 18.3 Mate. Getting warnings from xed during open and save:

ennifer@jenXPS13 ~/Desktop/ConfigFiles $ sudo xed /etc/auto.sambashares

(xed:10796): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

** (xed:10796): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::xed-spell-language not supported

** (xed:10796): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::xed-encoding not supported

** (xed:10796): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::xed-position not supported

I got no errors on a file on home w/o sudo.

(Sorry if this has been answered. I was not allowed to use "xed" as a search term.)

Linux Mint 18.3 Mate 64 bit
Dell XPS 13
Dual boot Windows 10
Linux Mint 19.1 Mate; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: xed warnings

Post by Penn » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:19 pm

I don't know if it affects what you are reporting here but you really shouldn't open a GUI app like xed with sudo. Try "gksudo".

Anoep
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anoep » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:35 pm

hello scrognoid,

i do get same warnings too. i don't know what is means. i get this when i do gksudo command in xed.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:42 pm

You made a general user mistake by using xed - or any graphical program - with sudo. This mistake does create problems! For any graphical program you must only(!) use gksudo (kdesudo in case of a KDE desktop), never sudo.

If those warnings have something to do with this user mistake is something I could only answer after doing the same mistake on my system, but I am not willing to do this mistake.

It might be worth to check, if there are ownership problems in your account. To check:
Mark the following command and press ctrl-c

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
open a terminal and press ctrl-shift-V
Mark the complete result inclusive the command with the mouse and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-v.

Report in case, that there is no output.

Anoep
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anoep » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:52 pm

hello cosma,

i said i have same problem when using gksudo not sudo.

i entered your commando in terminal this is my result:
/home/anoep/.face
/home/anoep/.wget-hsts
/home/anoep/Downloads/hplip-3.17.11/.libs/libhpipp.so.0.0.1T
/home/anoep/Downloads/hplip-3.17.11/.libs/cupsext.soT
/home/anoep/Downloads/hplip-3.17.11/.libs/hpmudext.soT
/home/anoep/Downloads/hplip-3.17.11/.libs/libhpmud.so.0.0.6T
/home/anoep/Downloads/hplip-3.17.11/.libs/libsane-hpaio.so.1.0.0T
find: ‘/home/anoep/.config/enchant’: Access denied
/home/anoep/.config/xed/accels
find: ‘/home/anoep/.cache/dconf’: Access denied

Hw to fix this access denied?

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Anoep wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:52 pm
i said i have same problem when using gksudo not sudo.
Maybe you do but this isn't your thread. Please start your own thread for your own problem instead of hijacking the assistance being given to the OP.
[2] New Questions Deserve New Topics

Do not add new questions to existing topics, start your own instead! This will make it easier for other members to provide support. This includes hijacking...
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Anoep
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anoep » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:04 pm

sorry but why posting 2 post with same problem? makes no sense to me. if someone give answer to my problem also the other person is helped with same answer right? so why you problem of this and why making 2 post with same problem?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:08 pm

As catweazel said. But I can tell you already here, that you did the mistake on others places. (One line in the output tells me, that you actually used xed with sudo at least once in the past.) If you read my previous post carefully you will notice, that I wrote "for any graphical program".
Anoep wrote:sorry but why posting 2 post with same problem? makes no sense to me. if someone give answer to my problem also the other person is helped with same answer right? so why you problem of this and why making 2 post with same problem?
Because:
1. respect for the forum rules.
2. respect against the OP
3. mixing the output of different users in one thread does sooner or later lead to confusion. We have seen this in countless cases, where at the end nobody did understand, to whom a reply was addressed.
4. Creating a new thread does not cost money or anything else.

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Anoep wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:04 pm
sorry but why posting 2 post with same problem? makes no sense to me. if someone give answer to my problem also the other person is helped with same answer right? so why you problem of this and why making 2 post with same problem?
I'm not seeing a problem with your post and I agree it does seem to be the same problem. Maybe someone can enlighten me where I am wrong?

Let us retrace the development here. After I pointed out "gksudo" was what should be used in this situation Cosmo agreed and further added he either knows or is guessing this is what caused the issue of the error. He is also correct that you must have used sudo to do things you shouldn't have in the past. To be clear, if entering a terminal command opens a new "GUI" or "graphical" window you should use "gksudo" when using that program with "super user do once" permission. So at some point in time in the past you used "sudo" to open xed and possibly some other apps which changed permissions to some files/directories for you and since we have already seen the OP used the same command it has more than likely happened to them too.

All these developments in the thread occurred without the OP responding as of yet. If a solution to your issue had been given, in all likelihood by the time the OP returned to this thread the fix would have been given thus solving their issue too.

Oh, a solution has been given to this issue in other threads by Cosmo himself. Here is one from nearly a year ago viewtopic.php?t=218411 If that works for you maybe you can come back and thank Cosmo for the help.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:14 pm

These types of warnings are typical when running Gtk applications as root. It shouldn't be preventing Xed from working but simply warning you that certain functionality isn't. For example, xed-position is the bit of info in the metadata that xed uses for it's "Restore cursor position" functionality. It's just letting you know that it wasn't able to write that part of the metadata so your cursor won't be restored to the same position as it was when you last worked on the file.

You could also just use

SUDO_EDITOR=xed sudoedit /etc/auto.sambashares
That creates a temporary version of the file you can edit as your own user and only overwrites the original once the editor is closed.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scrognoid » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:10 pm

Using gksudo I still get the warnings on save but not on open.

I can't tell from the replies if the warning are just a nuisance or if I have done damage.

I've been editing system files with "sudo pluma" in Mint for four years without a hiccup. Still doing it in 17.3 on another system. I'm surprised to learn I've been doing it wrong all along.
Linux Mint 19.1 Mate; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:12 am

scrognoid wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:10 pm
Using gksudo I still get the warnings on save but not on open.

I can't tell from the replies if the warning are just a nuisance or if I have done damage.

I've been editing system files with "sudo pluma" in Mint for four years without a hiccup. Still doing it in 17.3 on another system. I'm surprised to learn I've been doing it wrong all along.
Nuisance. It is entirely plausible that it is just a nuisance and nothing more however the reason for the nuisance is a potentially damaged system.

Opening a GUI (and pluma is one) app with sudo doesn't mean you system will definitely experience noticeable issues, but it can cause them.

Did you run the query for which Cosmo asked for the output? It should come back with no results. If anything at all is listed look at the thread I linked for the resolution.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:36 am

scrognoid wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:10 pm
've been editing system files with "sudo pluma" in Mint for four years without a hiccup. Still doing it in 17.3 on another system. I'm surprised to learn I've been doing it wrong all along.
The resulting problems do come, but typically not at once. For a newbie the difficulty is, that the relation between the mistake and the resulting problem is mostly not evident. Also the consequences of the mistake can be very different - until to the point, where a user even cannot log in any more.
scrognoid wrote:I can't tell from the replies if the warning are just a nuisance or if I have done damage.
Following my advice would bring you ahead. If you don't, than you will stuck without solution. Your choice.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:21 am

Cosmo. wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:08 pm
1. respect for the forum rules.
2. respect against the OP
3. mixing the output of different users in one thread does sooner or later lead to confusion. We have seen this in countless cases, where at the end nobody did understand, to whom a reply was addressed.
4. Creating a new thread does not cost money or anything else.
As a mod, I can say that Cosmo. is entirely correct here. Many, many people think their problem or situation is exctly the same as someone elses; it's very rarely true. And even then the thread can become confusing when people aren't sure who is talking to who. For those reasons, we do have the simple rule that a new question deserves a new thread. It's stated in the forum guidelines, so you already know this. Please keep it in mind. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:40 am

Moem wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:21 am
Many, many people think their problem or situation is exctly the same as someone elses; it's very rarely true.
And even it it should be exactly the same: Discussions in a forum have often their own dynamic. Out of an answer the questioner does often have a following question and possibly the whole thread moves into a direction, which was not foreseeable at the beginning. As long as this happens for questions of the OP this is (mostly) OK, but if this happens with questions of another user, who has hijacked the thread, the OP can at one point completely loose the track - especially in case of a very newbie. And than we have reached the point, where such a discussion gets counter productive.

This is the reason, why we say to a OP, that this is his/her thread. (S)He shall feel comfortable inside of it.

scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scrognoid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 pm

<t>As Cosmo suggested<br/>
<br/>
From System A (17.3, where I did sudo pluma a lot)<br/>
>>> find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f<br/>
find: `/home/tim/.cache/dconf': Permission denied<br/>
/home/tim/.pia_manager/log/openvpn.pid<br/>
/home/tim/.pia_manager/openvpn_launcher.64<br/>
/home/tim/.pia_manager/openvpn_launcher.32<br/>
>>><br/>
<br/>
From System B (18.3, where I've been getting warnings with sudo xed)<br/>
jennifer@jenXPS13 ~ $ find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f<br/>
find: ‘/home/jennifer/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied<br/>
/home/jennifer/.pia_manager/log/openvpn.pid<br/>find /home/$SUDO_USER ! -user $SUDO_USER -exec chown $SUDO_USER:$SUDO_USER '{}' \;
/home/jennifer/.pia_manager/openvpn_launcher.64<br/>
/home/jennifer/.pia_manager/openvpn_launcher.32<br/>
/home/jennifer/.config/pluma/accels<br/>
/home/jennifer/.config/pluma/pluma.ini<br/>
find: ‘/home/jennifer/.config/enchant’: Permission denied<br/>
/home/jennifer/Desktop/fstab<br/>
jennifer@jenXPS13 ~ $</t>

Following the link suggest by Penn
find /home/$SUDO_USER ! -user $SUDO_USER -exec chown $SUDO_USER:$SUDO_USER '{}' \;
and trying again, I got no output.

But, PIA, Private Internet Access VPN, will not connect.

Running PIA from the command line:

>>> /home/tim/.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh
pia_nw: no process found
[4218:4218:0212/203649:ERROR:logging.h(813)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager.GetManagedObjects: object_path= /: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "GetManagedObjects" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager" doesn't exist

[4218:4218:0212/203649:ERROR:logging.h(813)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager.GetManagedObjects: object_path= /: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "GetManagedObjects" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager" doesn't exist

[4218:4218:0212/203649:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
[4218:4218:0212/203649:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] Gtk: IA__gtk_widget_add_accelerator: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed
[4218:4218:0212/203649:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] Gtk: IA__gtk_widget_add_accelerator: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed
...snip...
security error
security error
security error
[4218:4218:0212/203813:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] Gtk: IA__gtk_widget_add_accelerator: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed
...and so on.

I don't know what either of those command do, so I don't know what just happened.

I guess I'll reinstall PIA.

scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scrognoid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 pm

And this:

[4218:4218:0212/203813:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] Gtk: IA__gtk_widget_add_accelerator: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'ip_tables': Operation not permitted
iptables v1.4.21: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
iptables v1.4.21: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:49 am

scrognoid wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 pm
No html tags please. I don't accept this is a forum and it makes the output near to unreadable. In the future I will skip those posts silently.

Obviously there are ownership problems. Correct them:
Mark the following command completely and make sure, that you do not miss any sign, than press ctrl-c

find /home/$SUDO_USER ! -user $SUDO_USER -exec chown $SUDO_USER:$SUDO_USER '{}' \;
Open a terminal and enter

sudo -i
and press the Enter-key; you get prompted for your password, enter it.
Now still in the same terminal press ctrl-shift-V
Run this command and wait until it has finished. It does not produce a readable output.
Press twice ctrl-d
Immediately log off and back into your account.

scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scrognoid » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 am

Yes, I did that, so I did it again. I get no output from
find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
but PIA is broken.

(The HTML tags were inserted when I saved a draft. I didn't put them there. I assumed they would get rendered.)

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:32 pm

As Cosmo suggested

From System A (17.3, where I did sudo pluma a lot)

>>> find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
find: `/home/tim/.cache/dconf': Permission denied
/home/tim/.pia_manager/log/openvpn.pid
/home/tim/.pia_manager/openvpn_launcher.64
/home/tim/.pia_manager/openvpn_launcher.32
>>>
From System B (18.3, where I've been getting warnings with sudo xed)

jennifer@jenXPS13 ~ $ find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
find: ‘/home/jennifer/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied
/home/jennifer/.pia_manager/log/openvpn.pidfind /home/$SUDO_USER ! -user $SUDO_USER -exec chown $SUDO_USER:$SUDO_USER '{}' \;
/home/jennifer/.pia_manager/openvpn_launcher.64
/home/jennifer/.pia_manager/openvpn_launcher.32
/home/jennifer/.config/pluma/accels
/home/jennifer/.config/pluma/pluma.ini
find: ‘/home/jennifer/.config/enchant’: Permission denied
/home/jennifer/Desktop/fstab
jennifer@jenXPS13 ~ $

Following the link suggest by Penn
and trying again, I got no output.

But, PIA, Private Internet Access VPN, will not connect.

Running PIA from the command line:

>>> /home/tim/.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh
[4218:4218:0212/203649:ERROR:logging.h(813)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager.GetManagedObjects: object_path= /: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Ge#

[4218:4218:0212/203649:ERROR:logging.h(813)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager.GetManagedObjects: object_path= /: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Ge#

[4218:4218:0212/203649:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(267)] GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
...snip...

security error
security error
security error
...and so on.

I don't know what either of those command do, so I don't know what just happened.

I guess I'll reinstall PIA.
There. :roll: Happy now, Lord Cosmo?
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

Return to “Software & Applications”