.flv to VCD

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
allenm
Level 1
Level 1

.flv to VCD

Post by allenm »

I'm trying to burn a VCD of an .flv I downloaded and having a tough time of it. I'm getting familiar with all the multimedia tools but can't quite seem to find the right combination to generate a VCD.

So far I've used ffmpeg to convert the flv to an mpg but there's something wrong with the file. When I try burn a VCD in K3B I get an error message - K3b will create a VCD image from the given MPEG files, but these files already be in VCD format. K3b does not yet resample MPEG files. - and that's it. K3B won't go further then that and refuses to burn the VCD.

The dialog box that pops up when you start a burn has some more error info -
Creating Cue/Bin files ...
Using vcdxbuild 0.7.23 -
input mpeg has been deemed invalid
vcdxbuild returned an unknown error (code 1)
operation not permitted.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
Have you installed vcdimager vcdtools, go
to K3b then try?
Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

DeVeDe is a program to create video DVDs and CDs (VCD, sVCD or CVD), suitables for home players, from any number of video files, in any of the formats supported by Mplayer. The big advantage over other utilites is that it only needs Mplayer, Mencoder, DVDAuthor, VCDImager and MKisofs (well, and Python 2.4, PyGTK and PyGlade), so its dependencies are really small.

http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html
Unpack
sudo ./install.sh
devede

Nick
allenm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by allenm »

Thanks for responding Nick.

I had vcdimager installed but not vcdtools. Installed it and tried again. No change.

I found Devede a couple of days ago and while it seems to be pretty happy to accept either the original .flv or the .mpg I made from the .flv when I do a preview there's never any sound and whatever I get from the conversion - .mpg or bin/cue - K3b says it's no good.

When I fire up the .flv or the .mpg using MPlayer or VLC Media Player, the file plays. When I try to fire up the file using Totem Movie Player I get no sound.

I just downloaded Devede 2.12, deleted 2.11 that comes from the repository and installed 2.12. No change.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

.flv to VCD

Post by nick »

Hi
Tried DeVeDe with .avi and mpeg, made bin and cue files and burnt perfectly to VCD using K3b
So i am not sure what is going on
Could you tell me a list of programs you have installed in K3b?
I install a lot of programs, after any set up
"automatically, without thinking after ten years" if you want a list of what I have
installed email me, I use KDE not Gnome, this is Bianca,with KDE installed.
So you would have a long list.
Have you installed libavcodec?
Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

HI
"However, the standard ffmpeg package is pretty useless since it doesn't offer support for mp3 so you'll have to go through a painful process first in order to encode your videos with mp3 audio. Before we start, your Ubuntu system needs to have the c compilers, patch tools and standard devel packages installed. It also needs to have multiverse and universe repositories enabled. And to make things easier, you'll need to have a password on the root account.......
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Convert- ... 7653.shtml
Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

.flv to VCD

Post by nick »

HI
Please ignore most of last post: it seems a bit out of date

Thanks I can see problem (I think)

With:nick@nick-desktop:~$ ffmpeg -i get.flv
-ab 56 -ar 22050 -b 500 -s 320x240 video.mpg

Where get.flv is flv, I get:

FFmpeg version SVN-rUNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-pthreads --enable-vorbis --enable-libogg --enable-a52 --enable-dts --enable-libgsm --enable-dc1394 --disable-debug --enable-shared --prefix=/usr
libavutil version: 0d.49.0.0
libavcodec version: 0d.51.11.0
libavformat version: 0d.50.5.0
built on Sep 20 2006 00:26:15, gcc: 4.1.2 20060906 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.1-13ubuntu2)

Seems that stream 1 comes from film source: 1000.00 (1000/1) -> 29.97 (30000/1001)
Input #0, flv, from 'get.flv':
Duration: 00:09:16.0, bitrate: N/A
Stream #0.0: Audio: mp3, 22050 Hz, mono
Stream #0.1: Video: flv, yuv420p, 320x240, 29.97 fps(r)
Output #0, mpeg, to 'video.mpg':
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg1video, yuv420p, 320x240, q=2-31, 500 kb/s, 29.97 fps(c)
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 22050 Hz, mono, 56 kb/s
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.1 -> #0.0
Stream #0.0 -> #0.1
Press [q] to stop encoding
frame=16664 q=2.0 Lsize= 38326kB time=556.0 bitrate= 564.7kbits/s
video:28096kB audio:3801kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 20.1537

Then to devede where the preview works
and use devede to make bin and cue

BUT with K3b I choose, "burn CD image" and
choose choose the bin file.

If I choose VCD I get the error message

"K3b will create a VCD image from the given MPEG files,"

This then plays O.K. in mplayer, as VCD
Nick
allenm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by allenm »

I'm with you up to devede which still doesn't have sound on the preview. Totem and MPlayer both play the .mpg file without any problem. But devede will not do a preview with sound nor does the .bin file have sound when I play that through Totem or MPlayer.

For what it's worth, the bin file is frikkin' huge. The original .flv is 220meg, the .mpg is 309meg but the .bin file is 990meg! I'm going to try to use devede to convert the mpg to an mpeg compliant with vcd standard, MPEG2-PS? Whatever.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
Hi, Not to sure now.

I have left a list of all packages installed on my system in your personal mail box on this board.

The only thing I can see is the ouput of ffmepeg
gives, Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, not sure if
you need libmpeg for that or maybe libxine, libxine-extra?????

The trouble is I forget which packages are installed by default

But tried another flv today and all worked ok
to VCD via ffmpeg to devede to K3b

Let us know if you find the answer.

Anybody?

Good luck -Nick
allenm
Level 1
Level 1

The solution

Post by allenm »

Turns out it was a corrupt .flv

I found the video on YouTube again and there was a link to PirateBay and a torrent of the video in .avi format. First time I tried a preview it worked and now the BIN/CUE conversion has been running for about twenty minutes which is the first time that's happened.

What a frikkin' struggle and all because the file was corrupted. Funny thing was that the .mpg I generated from the .flv I captured played fine through VLC Player and MPlayer. Movie Player didn't like it though and wouldn't play it. I figured that since the file would play it must be OK. Turns out I was wrong.

I better go lay down. I suddenly have the urge to look up the specs for .mpg files and see if I could write a Ruby verifier program to scan for corruption.

Nick, thanks a bunch. Fer real.

Return to “Sound”