Trying to install Mint on a new Lenovo laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MJP
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to install Mint on a new Lenovo laptop

Post by MJP »

I've been using a bootable USB drive because my new laptop doesn't have a CD drive. The laptop can run Mint off of the USB drive.

I shrank the Windows 10 partition from within Windows 10 itself, and used the "Install Mint" program and chose to install Mint alongside Windows. So far, when I boot up and press F12 to see the operating systems I can use, I see "ubuntu", Windows, the bootable USB, and some other things that came with the laptop. I think "ubuntu" is supposed to be Linux Mint (if so, this is very confusing), but when I select it, nothing happens. The screen just flickers black for a split second and goes back to the operating systems menu.

Windows 10 still works (but from what I've seen of it so far, I really don't like the OS).

I've installed Ubuntu on the laptop I'm currently using, which is also a Lenovo laptop. I remember it being very easy.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
keithrboz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Trying to install Mint on a new Lenovo laptop

Post by keithrboz »

What happens if you just let the laptop boot, without the USB, and NO f12? (It sounds like the installation of Mint completed OK.) Normally you will get a list of boot options that will mean something more. Doing nothing will boot to the last installed system.
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbauaptop@gmail.com
MJP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MJP »

If I do that, it boots Windows.

I checked the BIOS by pressing F1, and "ubuntu" is ahead of Windows in the boot order. I think that means it's trying to load "ubuntu" first, but something goes wrong and it falls back to Windows.

Mint still runs from the USB drive by the way.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MJP wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:17 am I checked the BIOS by pressing F1
Check the BIOS for a fast boot option and disable it if there is one.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MJP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MJP »

Okay, I actually got it to run by disabling "Secure Boot" in the BIOS.

I'm going to start getting some basic settings configured for now. Eventually I might want to figure out if there's a way to get Mint to run under Secure Boot, but it's not a priority at the moment.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ MJP, .......
MJP wrote:...
What is the model and specifications of your Lenovo computer.? Or post the Terminal output for inxi -Fxz and sudo parted -l from the Live LM USB.
MegaV0lt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MegaV0lt »

Recently also installed on an lenovo. I had to enable legacy boot support in bios. Then everything runs as expected
Spinat schmeckt am besten, wenn man ihn kurz vor dem Verzehr durch ein großes Steak ersetzt
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i usually find with lenovo computers, (ive installed linux on 14 different lenovo's to date), that secure boot needs to be disabled as it seems lenovo, linux, and secure boot do not play well together...as it is, microsoft recommends disabling secure boot when trying to use different types of hardware as well as linux OSs...DAMIEN

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ecure-boot
Vacert

Post by Vacert »

MPJ wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:36 am Okay, I actually got it to run by disabling "Secure Boot" in the BIOS.

I'm going to start getting some basic settings configured for now. Eventually I might want to figure out if there's a way to get Mint to run under Secure Boot, but it's not a priority at the moment.
Uh-huh .....i did what you say but I failed.unfortunately , my laptop is locked , what should i do next .....
Last edited by Vacert on Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Vacert wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 am unfortunately , my laptop has been locked , how to solve it ???
Vacert, the best way to start is by making a new topic of your own, and ask your question there, including all relevant information.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”