KDE VS Cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
alfa71omega
Level 1
Level 1

KDE VS Cinnamon

Post by alfa71omega » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:11 am

Hi all, I'd like to share with you some thoughts about KDE and Cinnamon. I believe both the GUI are pretty nice and easy to use and everything works fine and it's simple to understand (as for a newbie that came from MacOS), but I found two annoying differences. While Cinnamon could, as example, pairing my microsoft bluetooth mouse immediately, the KDE can't pair the device (no way out!). On the other end, KDE is cleaner and faster, menus are reactive and, in my opinion, looks better and more customizable. I'm in impasse. I'd like to use KDE and on the other end I'd like to use Cinnamon for it's compatibility. I thought the cose system is the same for both UI, so why this difference? There's one thing to consider after all: I downloaded and installed (my hard drive is in pain) all major distros such as Ubuntu, OpenSuse, CentOS, Debian, Arch, ElementaryOS but my favorite is Mint.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: KDE VS Cinnamon

Post by Moem » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:39 am

Some thoughts:
- KDE will eventually be discontinued on Mint. From Mint 19 on, there will not be an official Mint with KDE. You can DIY it, but it's not official.
- If you like speed and cleanness, you might also want to try Mate.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm

+1 for Mate.

I've tried them all and, to me, Mate is the most intuitive DE available.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:00 pm

tenfoot wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm
+1 for Mate.

I've tried them all and, to me, Mate is the most intuitive DE available.
I do agree with that.

Mint is slowly learning it's strengths and weaknesses. Cinnamon is where their heart is, so they should stick with that and drop the rest. There are many distros that specialize in the other desktops, and they actually do it Better than Mint.

It seems that Mint is learning about handling bug reports and being responsive as they outlined in the latest blog. Kudos!
Peter
Mate desktop https://mate-desktop.org/
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... -firmware/

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi alfa71omega,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your KDE system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Both Linux Mint Cinnamon and KDE are excellent desktops. Linux Mint KDE will still be maintained until 2021, afterward, you can "DIY" KDE over Xfce or Mate.

Is your Bluetooth device internal or external (USB)?

Cinnamon has a new Bluetooth manager called "Blueberry" whereas KDE has three different older Bluetooth manager options "Bluedevil", "Bluez", and "Blueman". I have no problems connecting Bluetooth devices In my Linux Mint KDE 18.2 system, I have these packages installed: "bluez", "bluez-tools", "bluedevil", "bluetooth", and you might want to install "bluetooth-touch" (firmware update) as well, restart afterward.

I did have a big problem trying to use Bluetooth with an older USB Bluetooth v1.x adapter, nothing would work. Now everything Bluetooth works since I got a newer USB Bluetooth v4 adapter.

You can also try updating the Linux Kernel to 4.13 series or newer if you are using the originally installed KDE kernel.

I do not know if Cinnamon's Bluetooth Manager "Blueberry" could be used in KDE, my guess is that it would not work properly.

If you are still having a problem after doing the steps in this reply, then you could remove "bluez" and "bluedevil" and try "Blueman". I am not sure if you can just install "blueman" with "bluez" and "bluedevil" installed or if that would cause a conflict, thus why I mentioned removing those if you want to try "blueman".

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Newbie Questions”