Wallpaper Tip.

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Wallpaper Tip.

Post by exploder »

If you are using a machine that does not have a lot of RAM you might be able to save some resources with this tip.

Make sure your wallpaper fits your display or is as close to the actual screen size as possible. You can use the scale feature in Gimp to get your wallpaper sized. Use .jpg for wallpaper on systems that have limited memory, .png files are sharper but are larger in size. You can convert a .png to a .jpg simply by opening the file in Gimp and choosing to save it as a .jpg. On systems with limited RAM this tip can reduce memory use a little and can make the desktop load a tiny bit faster.

I tend to tweak out my machines and have done this a lot. You would be surprised at the amount of resources you can save.
kwisher

Re: Wallpaper Tip.

Post by kwisher »

What resolution or scale factor would you suggest for a 10 inch netbook? It has a 1024 X 600 display.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

That's very interesting. There is an alternative way of changing image file types using nautilus itself. Find the file in nautilus and double click it. On my system it opens up "Image Viewer - Eye of Gnome". Then simply do a "Save as" and change the file extension from example.png to example.jpg.
Last edited by altair4 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You will probably have to try different values to get something as close as possible to that resolution.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

I converted the Firey Mint Wide wallpaper to jpeg then scaled it by just inputing 1024 for the width and accepting the default for the height. All is well on my eeePC.

Return to “Tutorials”