Windows 10 alongside Mint 18.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bushyiii
Level 4
Level 4

Windows 10 alongside Mint 18.3

Post by bushyiii »

I have a friends Lenovo 110 with WINDOWS 10 pre-installed.I have Mint running from a thumb drive. The installer option to have Mint co-exist with Win10 isn't available. I have always had that option in the past, is there a specific issue with Lenovo and WINDOWS10 that prevents that option?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
keithrboz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: WINDOWS10 alongside Mint 18.3

Post by keithrboz »

I wonder if there is enough space on the drive. Try reducing the windows partition using windows' own disk manager - right click on the disk in explorer should find it. Leave the space blank for Mint installer to use.
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbauaptop@gmail.com
Mattyboy

Re: WINDOWS10 alongside Mint 18.3

Post by Mattyboy »

Take a look here
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/09/cant ... ion-laptop
Possibly the reason. See if you have the AHCI option to switch. Its not 'un-fixable' but may require a Bio's/UEFI update.
bushyiii
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Windows 10 alongside Mint 18.3

Post by bushyiii »

How large does the win10 partition need to be, the entire eMMC ssd is only 32gig.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

bushyiii wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 am How large does the win10 partition need to be, the entire eMMC ssd is only 32gig.
That's not a lot of room for 2 OSes to reside.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ bushyiii, .......
bushyiii wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 am How large does the win10 partition need to be, the entire eMMC ssd is only 32gig.
The LM 18.3 Installer requires at least 10GB of free disk space, which your Win 10 32GB disk/drive likely does not have enough.

Usually, a running Win 10 system takes up at least 20GB of disk space.

Single-booting LM on your cheap/budget netbook may be problematic because of the eMMC flash-drive, eg ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=256446 (Dell Inspiron 11 P24T 32GB eMMC install)
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

maybe 32 is fine for both...
I had a Asus Eee PC 1000HE Netbook (32bit, tiny SSD) that I used to multiboot, primarily with LMDE. (it is still in use today)
If windows needs 20 (minimal) then you have enough space so that you could run a number of different OSs in that other 12, and adjust the sizes as required for your personal needs.
I no reason to Not try it.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ sdibaja, .......
sdibaja wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:25 pm maybe 32 is fine for both...
I had a Asus Eee PC 1000HE Netbook (32bit, tiny SSD) that I used to multiboot, primarily with LMDE. (it is still in use today)
According to ... https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-eee-pc-1000he/specs/ , the Asus Eee PC 1000HE Netbook has a 160GB hard drive, which is not tiny or anywhere near 32GB.

I have come across an ancient 4.3GB hard drive for desktops, eg ... https://www.cnet.com/products/western-d ... ard-drive/ . Now, that's tiny.
If windows needs 20 (minimal) then you have enough space so that you could run a number of different OSs in that other 12, and adjust the sizes as required for your personal needs.
I don't think so.
keithrboz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithrboz »

I consider the question is, how much free space is on the partition. If I was dual booting, I'd be leaving 5G for Windows to 'play' with when booting. My win7 install is using virtually 40G, and 10 needs more in my experience - and I haven't added anything to win; it's a base install.
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbauaptop@gmail.com
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Boot the live USB of Mint then run this command in Terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
then copy and paste the result within code tags.

This will give us information we need to assess the notebook.
bushyiii
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bushyiii »

I booted a live Mint and checked the SSD with gparted. Found the clean install of Win10 consumed 26 gig of a the 32 gig ssd. I created an ISO of the WIN10 drive and then wiped it to install Mint 18.3. It's all working fine. If for any reason I have to re-install Win10 I can do it.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ bushyiii, .......
bushyiii wrote: I created an ISO of the WIN10 drive ...
How did you do this.? ... https://www.howtogeek.com/131907/how-to ... windows-8/
You created an OEM Factory Image Recovery Win 10 USB flash-drive by using the built-in OEM Recovery Backup Tool or the built-in Win 10 Recovery Tool.?
You created a Win 10 Install USB/DVD by using the Media Creation Tool and Win 10 ISO file from M$'s website.?

If you use the latter method, you may end up with one or two missing device drivers after a clean install of Win 10, eg Sound, Touchpad and Wifi drivers. If so and if Windows Update does not retrieve the missing drivers for you, you will need to go to your OEM website to download and install the missing drivers. If Wifi does not work, you will need another computer to install the Wifi driver.
bushyiii
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bushyiii »

I created the built-in tool to create a recovery flash drive and additionally downloaded the WIN10 ISO from the Microsoft site.
Unless I misunderstand the recovery process I would first use the ISO to re-install WIN10 and then use the recovery flash drive to complete the process.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

JerryF wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 am Boot the live USB of Mint then run this command in Terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
then copy and paste the result within code tags.

This will give us information we need to assess the notebook.
Quoted because this will really help people help the OP.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ bushyiii, .......
bushyiii wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:23 am I created the built-in tool to create a recovery flash drive and additionally downloaded the WIN10 ISO from the Microsoft site.
Unless I misunderstand the recovery process I would first use the ISO to re-install WIN10 and then use the recovery flash drive to complete the process.
The howtogeek tutorial shows you how to use the built-in Win 10 Recovery & Backup Tool to create a Recovery USB flash-drive which can also include a System Image of Win 10 or not include a System Image.
... A Recovery USB Flash-drive without the System Image is used to repair Win 10 when it cannot be started, ie by going into Troubleshoot's Refresh/Reset/Advanced options. A Recovery USB Flash-drive with the System Image is used to restore the whole Win 10 system to the computer, eg after failing to repair Win 10.
... On the Win 10 internal hard-drive, there is the 400MB Recovery partition that is used for this feature/tool.

Similarly, there are 3rd-party tools/programs for creating Windows System Images, eg Macrium Reflect Free and Acronis True Image. The System Image or Images can be stored on a USB flash-drive, external USB hard-drive or a set of DVDs. A bootable Win PE Restore CD is needed to restore the System Image to the computer, eg after a system failure or virus infection.
... The Win PE Restore CD is similar to Win 10's Recovery USB Flash-drive without the System Image.

The OEMs also provide an OEM Factory Image Recovery partition(= about 12GB in size) on the internal hard-drives of their new Win 10 computers. This OEM Recovery partition can be used by the buyers to create a Factory Image Recovery USB flash-drive with the built-in OEM Recovery Backup Tool , which can be later used to restore the computer to Factory condition. ... https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c04758961 (HP Recovery Manager, Create recovery media)
... This OEM tool is similar to Win 10's built-in Recovery and Backup Tool.

Previously, Win 7's built-in Recovery and Backup Tool can only be used to create a System Repair CD and a System Image or Images on an external USB hard-drive or a set of DVDs, ie not on a USB flash-drive.

Return to “Beginner Questions”