reboot command does not work

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gianmar

reboot command does not work

Post by Gianmar »

The rebooting process stops before reaching the end. when it stops only alt+ctrl+backslash function.
Thanks for an help.
Gianmar
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: reboot command does not work

Post by Mute Ant »

A 'polite' reboot from the GUI or a console will try to close files, unmount volumes, etc etc etc. If that is not possible the OS will just 'sit on its hands' to avoid damaging something it can't handle automatically. It can be as simple as a USB printer that won't 'off' because it's 'busy'. If you are certain the reboot has got stuck, or you are uncertain but intend to do it anyway, the REISUB reset issues instructions directly to Linux. There's lots of pages about it...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Hi,

You'll want to see what's going on under the hood to see where the issue is. Have you looked at any of the log files in /var/log for anything suspicious?
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Gianmar

Post by Gianmar »

Termy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:48 am Hi,

You'll want to see what's going on under the hood to see where the issue is. Have you looked at any of the log files in /var/log for anything suspicious?
Hi,
Thanks for your answer.
I managed to download the enclosed log files by means of Knoppix software collection (their date is that of my last attempt to run Linux). Can they be useful ?
(for your information the Linux I am using is Mint 17.1 64 bit)
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Yes, these should help. I'm looking through them now.

The boot.log file shows this: Starting SMB/CIFS File and Active Directory Server But indicates that it failed. I'm not sure how this could cause the reboot command to fail, but it's definitely an issue you need to look into, IMO. I'm not sure what CIFS and ADS is, but SMB is Samba, a service for sharing files between networks, which is compatible with Windows.

The gpu-manager.log shows that files /run/u-d-c-nvidia-was-loaded and /run/u-d-c-fglrx-was-loaded can't be accessed; this may be normal if you're not on an nVidia machine, but just in-case, I thought I'd mention it in-case you installed nVidia open- or closed-source drives on an incomptible machine. The file reports that your machine "has intel" and doesn't have "nvidia". Shortly thereafter, there's a line saying The number of cards has changed! which seems strange. Have you made any hardware changes recently? Like adding a dedicated graphics card.

The mintsystem.log file looks fine.

The udev logfile looks fine, but there's rather a lot lines, so I grep-ed for "WARNING", "CAUTION", and "ERROR", case-insensitively.

I see you uploaded the utmp file. This file is I think encrypted, but I was able to read its general information with: last -f wtmp, but I'm concerned this file could contain sensitive information. Anyway, all looks fine from what I can see. Nothing I see being overly relevant here. However, I see you're using TTY8. I've seen that Mint and Ubuntu generally operates (the GUI) on TTY7, so I'm surprised to see it's saying you're using TTY8. Not an issue, just something I noticed.

The last line of the Xorg.0.log indicates to me that X is working correctly, as it claims to have successfully terminated (likely when you reboot or shutdown). This is a good thing, because it could narrow down the issue.

Beyond that, there's nothing else I can see here. How about looking at the dmesg command, and the /var/log/syslog? These two tend to be the most important in these sort of situations, IMO.
Gianmar

Post by Gianmar »

I much appreciated your very detailed report I reserve to study.
In the meantime I send you the dmesg.txt and syslog files you requested.
Many thanks.
Last edited by Gianmar on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gianmar

Post by Gianmar »

In addition to files alredy sent I forward formatit.ph in which,as boot.log says, collectl defined (@array) is deprecated at line 3149.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

No problem. Looking through the new ones now.

Line 43677 leads me to believe that /dev/sda7 had an error at some point, because it was remounted via errors=remount-ro. I'm not sure this is related, however.

By the way, can you send me the inxit -Fz output? Just place it within </>. With all these logs, I sort of forgot the usual things. :lol: All I can glean from your logs is that you have a dual-core CPU and 4GB RAM. Oh, I see you're using the 3.13.0-37-generic kernel! That's really old. God, I wish I had asked your inxi output ages ago. lol Could you try upgrading your kernel to 4.4? I think it's currently at 4.4.0-112-generic, if you want the generic type. You can easily switch using the Mint Update Manager, clicking on View, then clicking on Linux kernels. I'm guessing you're using Mint 17 or something. Might want to load up Linux Mint 18.3.

There are many of these MDM-related WARNINGS throughout your syslog:

Code: Select all

mdmwebkit[2195]: GLib-GObject-WARNING: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.40.2/./gobject/gsignal.c:1211: unable to lookup signal "activate" of unloaded type 'GtkMenuItem'
mdmwebkit[2195]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_signal_add_emission_hook: assertion 'signal_id > 0' failed

mdm[2170]: WARNING: failed to get file info for accountService pic file: Errore nel recuperare informazioni per il file «/var/lib/AccountsService/icons/gianni»: File o directory non esistente
mdm[2170]: WARNING: failed to get file info for accountService pic file: Errore nel recuperare informazioni per il file «/home/gianni/.face»: File o directory non esistente

mdm[1423]: WARNING: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: errore fatale di X. Riavvio di :0 in corso
And these, but I'm not sure why they're warnings, as it sounds pretty expected:

mdm[1254]: Starting mdm...
mdm[1421]: WARNING: Plymouth is running, asking it to stop...
mdm[1421]: WARNING: Plymouth stopped
If I remember correctly, the Display Manager contacts the init daemon or something, which is responsible for handing things like reboting. I may be remembering incorrectly. I believe SystemD handles init stuff now. I read somewhere that runlevel 6 is for rebooting, and runlevels are controlled by the init daemon. So, based on this file, I'd look into MDM. I'd also check SystemD for failed services, with: systemctl is-system-running

As for your dmesg.txt file, there's this acpi PNP0A08:00: _OSC failed (AE_ERROR); disabling ASPM but it looks benign.

Return to “Installation & Boot”