Dual Boot installation advice

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gleneagles
Level 1
Level 1

Dual Boot installation advice

Post by gleneagles »

I previously installed a dual boot system, windows 7 & Linux mint on to a new SSD without any problems however I soon ran out of space on Linux despite deleting programs and messing about with Gparted so 2 questions as I am starting from scratch with a new install on to a new ovo 860 250 Gb.
A HDD will be used to store most programs & files.

1. When installing windows from a windows 7 disk how can I ensure that windows does not take up all the space, so I could reserve say 30 Gb for linux mint.
2. Using a mint iso what option should I select when it asks install mint but keep windows or do something else.

If I go into disk management in windows it will give me a option of creating a new partition would Linux use this new partition or create another one as that is the last thing I want to do.

I Have searched through numerous windows sites but can find no answer to how to create saved space during a windows install.
My aim is to avoid running out of space for Linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Dual Boot installation advice

Post by AndyMH »

From memory win7 will take up all the disk space when you install. So, after installing win open up control panel

control panel > admin tools > computer management > storage > disk management

right click on C: and shrink volume.

you will want about 30GB for mint (others may give you a better answer here). If win complains that you can't shrink as much as you want then back to control panel...

system > click on the change settings icon (middle right) > then select the advanced tab > click on settings > gives you a window labelled performance options > select the advanced tab > virtual memory > change - uncheck the 'automatically manage ...' if set and make the paging file size = 0. Again from memory win creates its page file at the end or close to the end of the partition and thus limits the amount you can shrink the partition.

Then go back to disk management and have another go at reducing the size of drive C:

A new NTFS partition from windows is no good for linux, it wants free space on the drive to install into (and create a partition formatted with ext4).

When you install mint select 'something else' so you can tell it to use the free space and not overwrite win.

Once you are up and running with mint, install gparted and mess around with partitions with that rather than using win - a lot easier.

Back in my windows days, I always partitioned my HDD, C: and D:, C: was programs, D: was data. First started with mint as dual boot and mounted D: as home/andy/data so I had access to my data from either win or mint. I've now dumped dual boot and run win7 (need excel for work) in virtualbox. Your next step??
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I've now dumped dual boot and run win7 (need excel for work) in virtualbox. Your next step??
Doesn't Libre office work for you? Why MS office only?
Please discuss.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Good advise above.

My own personal opinion is to set up a partition table before installing anything. The reasons behind this is because, in Windows, shrinking the drive 'after the fact' has limitations due to Windows throwing files all over the place. It can limit the shrink size available. Very irritating when dealing with limited space to begin with.

In addition to above I would recommend that after booting the Windows install media you run the DISKPART and CLEAN command from command prompt before even starting the install ( do an online search for instructions ). This will refresh the drive back to 'factory' ( please note if using an SSD DO NOT run the CLEAN ALL command, this is different to CLEAN ).

Once you have a a clean drive continue with the installation selecting the 'advanced option'. Here you can create a new partition for Windows. Do so and then point the installer to that partition and proceed.

Now that Windows is installed proceed to install Linux on the remaining partition. The installer will format that partition. Let it do a 'vanilla' install. Don't do separate boot, root and home unless you want to start dealing with logical partition tables. Keep it simple.

After Linux has installed you won't be able to see the boot option for Windows in Grub until after you have run

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
from the terminal and re-booted.

Before even starting check the machines bio's/UEFI and look for the option ( if it has it ) 'Legacy boot' and turn it on.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ gleneagles, .......
gleneagles wrote:...
Bear in mind that Legacy BIOS mode should use MBR or ms-dos disks, ie not GPT disks = check the new Samsung Evo 860 250GB SSD's disk mode, eg boot the Live LM 18.x USB/DVD and go to Accessories, >Disk >SSD. To convert GPT to ms-dos disk mode, use the built-in GParted program, ie >Create New Partition Table >ms-dos >Apply.
....... ms-dos/MBR disks are limited to 4 Primary partitions = the Swap and Home partitions should be Logical or Extended partitions(= Root is Primary partition).

If using the automatic "Install LM alongside Windows" method, you do not need to shrink the Win 7 system partition or set aside a free partition for the install of LM 18.x. You only need to do so if you use the manual "Something else" install method.
....... By default, the former automatic method will auto-create an LM 18.x system of about 20GB, ie the / or Root and Swap partitions(= no Home partition). But during the install, you will be given the option to increase the default 20GB size by moving the slider on the colorful Partition table, subject to the maximum available free space on the Win 7 system partition. The Grub boot loader will also be auto-installed on the internal hard-drive or /sda.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 ("Something else" install - manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Why excel?
  • 1. I have no choice, it's what the customer uses. I also use some add-ons such as @Risk which only work with Excel. In the same way, I'm stuck with IE for some things because my employer's payroll and MIS will only work with IE. Hence I run win7 in a VM.

2. I've been using Excel for 30 years, virtually since it came out and put things like SuperCalc and Lotus123 in the shade. Not of a mind to learn something new.

3. It's rather good.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
gleneagles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gleneagles »

Many thanks for the helpful responses, followed the advice given and everything went ok.

Return to “Beginner Questions”