A forum section for OS issues is needed

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jw jensen

Re: A forum section for OS issues is needed

Post by jw jensen »

Help or don't help. I have already reported this problem under "Other" as 18.2 system freeze. This is not "my" problem. Others have reported freezes during idle-suspend for 18.x releases. Pay attention before you dismiss my suggestion as "idiotic".
jw jensen

Post by jw jensen »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:49 pm
jw jensen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:44 pm None of these problems occur on 17.1.
For you. On your particular hardware combination.

Look, I'm not going to help you troubleshoot your problem in a thread with this idiotic title. Consider posting a new, ordinary thread, asking for help with your particular problem.
A further thought: 17.1 works fine with "my" configuration. I haven't changed this configuration as I toggle back and forth between 17.1 and 18.2. It's clear that Mint should either 1) disclaim "my" configuration in the 18.2 release notes, or 2) take responsibility for continuing to support it. And note well: other users have reported freezes during idle-suspend. It is not "my particular problem".
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

jw jensen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Look, I'm not going to help you troubleshoot your problem in a thread with this idiotic title. Consider posting a new, ordinary thread, asking for help with your particular problem.
A further thought: 17.1 works fine with "my" configuration. I haven't changed this configuration as I toggle back and forth between 17.1 and 18.2. It's clear that Mint should either 1) disclaim "my" configuration in the 18.2 release notes, or 2) take responsibility for continuing to support it. And note well: other users have reported freezes during idle-suspend. It is not "my particular problem".
Did you also consult the Ubuntu 16.04 release notes?
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:06 pm the only thing i have ever seen unstable is not Linux Mint, but sometimes some of the unstable posters we have come across from time to time...lol...just saying...lol...DAMIEN
I think you hit that one on the head.

Personally, I was about to have a look under the bridge...:D
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

jw jensen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Well, did you install it OVER 17.1, did you remove 17.1 and trhen install it, or a completely fresh install.

If you installed it OVER 17.1, no wonder you think it's unstable! It's a bit of a different animal from 17.1.

I had similar issue when I installed it over Arch. My settings were all there for Mate, etc, but I sure had a hell of a time with it. I was able to overcome it.

At the very least, you should have archived all of your settings into a backup directory and then tried restoring them one by one, or copying the contents and pasting them into the new config files and then rebooted to see what happened.

So, explain a little more about HOW you installed it, so the rest of us can play a waltz instead of a cha-cha, too...
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

In the past four years with Mint KDE I have seen posts from people who think Mint needs a lot of work.

Perhaps I have missed something along the way but Mint on my hardware (from an Athlon 64 to an FX-8350) has worked just fine. You can never assume that because you are having problems that everyone else is in the same boat. On my machine my little torrent farm has a share ratio of 124 with the last four 18.3 versions of Mint. Yet I am only seeing 2 or 3 people saying that the distros are seriously flawed or require new sections on this forum.

I hate to see anyone having problems and can do very little to help (as of now.) Most of the people who help on this forum are very good at what they do and they have been doing this long before I became a Mint convert. It would be wrong for me to tell them how to do their "job" since they are not getting paid (much anyway if at all) and yet they still managed to get my system running perfectly.

Tell them clearly and as precisely as you can what kind of problems you are having and I will bet you a dollar to a doughnut your problems will become history.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jw jensen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:06 pm Mint has become so unstable...
Total nonsense.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:06 pm the only thing i have ever seen unstable is not Linux Mint, but sometimes some of the unstable posters we have come across from time to time...lol...just saying...lol...DAMIEN
+1

I gave some advice in another thread and the poster presumed I meant something other than what I wrote. He posted the output of what he presumed I meant instead of what I actually wrote. I left the thread and him to himself... Physician, heal thy self.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Absolutely.

As any IT support person knows, with some people you'd have to get paid to support them. Since no one is getting paid here, don't be pne of those people.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

If my Mint 18.3 Cinnamon is unstable then I love being unstable 8)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

jw jensen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:56 pm
When you downloaded 18.2 ISO, did you verify it? You may have a bad ISO.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

OP has another topic 18.2 System freezes. For providing help with OP's troubleshooting use that topic.

@jw jensen: I'm working on a proposal to restructure the board a bit and that should give us a more obvious/logical place to post such support requests.

In your case, as michael louwe touches upon in your other topic, system instability is generally a combination of your specific hardware and the used Linux kernel version. For very old hardware it may sometimes pay to stay on an older kernel as older hardware may not be very well supported by its manufacturer on the newest kernel version.

Locking this topic to prevent further discussion of the same problem in two places.

Return to “Other topics”