New build. No signal to monitor

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Frldyz

New build. No signal to monitor

Post by Frldyz »

Doing my 2nd build.
Pretty much complete.
Just haven't done the final cable management because I want to make sure everything is working ok.

Plugged everything in.
Computer turns on. Fans spin. Power to the fan controller.

But monitor ( VGA ) does not turn on.
There is power to the monitor and I tested monitor on another computer. Turns on just fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions or something I may have missed?

------------------
Do you want specs?
Pics.?

-----------------
AMD A6 7400
Gigabyte F2A68HM-H ( mobo )
Samsung pro 500gb SSD.
Seasonix 520W PSU
LG Blu Ray M disc optical drive.
Thermaltake 6 fan controller.
USB 3.0 card reader ( to connect my front USB 3.0 ports.

*Lepa water cooler ( Not installed just yet. I'm waiting to make sure everything works before I install.
I would hate to install the water cooler only to have to disconnect it to fix something else that might not be working

*** I understand the risks of no cooler. But I'm literally turning on just to make sure there is power.
But no signal to monitor.

Then turning off.

On for no longer then 20 secs. ( MAX )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: New build. No signal to monitor

Post by rene »

Frldyz wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:22 pmThere is power to the monitor and I tested monitor on another computer. Turns on just fine.
What needs testing is conversely testing another monitor on the same computer. That is, why do you say that the computer turns on? Given the description the problem may exist at any point prior to video init, which is BIOS-wise already some ways along. And including at point 0 or 1: your system might actually have a hardware or software feature respectively to not power up without a detected and functional CPU fan (note also: even 20 seconds can be dangerous; don't know specific thermal characteristics of an AMD A6 but I'd personally never even TRY to run a CPU without cooling).
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

What is your graphics card, or do you not have one? It's possible you forgot to plug in one or more PCI-E cables into the card. Or you were super blonde and plugged the VGA cable into the wrong VGA port. :P
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

Termy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:15 pm What is your graphics card, or do you not have one? It's possible you forgot to plug in one or more PCI-E cables into the card. Or you were super blonde and plugged the VGA cable into the wrong VGA port. :P
Lol
No gpu
Only mobo

Mobo only has vga our. Probably hdmi as well.
I’ll have to test another monitor.
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

rene wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:44 pm
Frldyz wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:22 pmThere is power to the monitor and I tested monitor on another computer. Turns on just fine.
What needs testing is conversely testing another monitor on the same computer. That is, why do you say that the computer turns on? Given the description the problem may exist at any point prior to video init, which is BIOS-wise already some ways along. And including at point 0 or 1: your system might actually have a hardware or software feature respectively to not power up without a detected and functional CPU fan (note also: even 20 seconds can be dangerous; don't know specific thermal characteristics of an AMD A6 but I'd personally never even TRY to run a CPU without cooling).

Hmmm... I think the mobo is connected correctly and getting power?

My mobo does not have a usb 3.0 header.
So I attached. USB 3.0 card into a pci-e slot. It has a usb 3.0 header.
So the usb 3.0 cable from the front of my case is connected to that.

When I turn power on the usb 3.0 cards light turns on.
But it is powered by a moles connection?

Is it possible the moles to psu is powered on the usb 3.0 card?

Or is the usb 3.0 cards light turning on because it gets power from the mobo
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Yes, certainly it's possible that your USB card's led is powered directly from the PSU if it has a direct molex connection to it. However, I believe you're concentrating on "power" a bit too much here. A monitor is not powered by the computer; when connected via HDMI it would need a signal to wake but is still powered directly from its own PSU. When connected via VGA as it seems you are doing not even a specific wake signal is needed: your monitor should wake on any sort of activity on VGA.

That is, what we know is that there seems to be no activity on VGA which can have any reason. Motherboard, CPU, (the integrated) GPU -- or, still, the system deciding that it won't in fact power on without a fan present. That last possibility is really the first one to do away with: I suppose you have a fan lying around somewhere? Although I still wouldn't advise it you could just plug it to the CPU-fan header without installing it on the CPU. Only when that possibility is excluded does it make sense to look further I feel.
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

rene wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:31 pm Yes, certainly it's possible that your USB card's led is powered directly from the PSU if it has a direct molex connection to it. However, I believe you're concentrating on "power" a bit too much here. A monitor is not powered by the computer; when connected via HDMI it would need a signal to wake but is still powered directly from its own PSU. When connected via VGA as it seems you are doing not even a specific wake signal is needed: your monitor should wake on any sort of activity on VGA.

That is, what we know is that there seems to be no activity on VGA which can have any reason. Motherboard, CPU, (the integrated) GPU -- or, still, the system deciding that it won't in fact power on without a fan present. That last possibility is really the first one to do away with: I suppose you have a fan lying around somewhere? Although I still wouldn't advise it you could just plug it to the CPU-fan header without installing it on the CPU. Only when that possibility is excluded does it make sense to look further I feel.

Yes I was wondering if nothing connecting to the mobo CPI fan header would cause this.
I’ll try tonight.

I’ll connect a separate fan to the header and turn on.

Again I just don’t want to have disconnect the liquid cooler in the even it still doesn’t turn on in order to check other parts
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

2-27-18:
Heres an update.

Just a recap: New build. Everything installed and connected ( ... I think...) EXCEPT a cooler on the CPA.
Why no cooler? Because I will be trying a liquid cooler and I dont want to have to mount and install everything...power on and it doesnt work. Then have to disconnect the cooler only to trouble shoot etc...
*** I am only turning this machine on for a couple of seconds to make sure everything is working. Then I will install the cooler once I know everything is working correctly.

I disconnected everything from the mobo except.
I kept connected:
1) 2 RAM sticks in both DIM slots.
2.) CPU ( no cooler )
3) The mobo has 3 fan headers 1a) CPU fan header 2a) Sys fan 1 3a) sys fan 2. I connected to all 3 headers
4) I left all the front case panel connected connected to the mobo.
5) I left the USB 3.o card connected into the PCI-E slot but disconnected the molex power connection and the USB 3.0 cable ( from the front of the case)
6) I left the 2 power connections connected from the PSU connected to the mobo. 1 is 18 pin and the other which connected into a 4 pin header on the mobo ( ATX-12V)

1b) When power supply switch on. The USB 3.0 card has several LED.s They all light up.
2b) When power button on case pushed the LED light on the front of the case DOES light ip.
3b) When power button on case pushed all 3 fans connected directly to the mobo's headers ( 1) CPU fan (2) sys fan 1 3 (3) sys fan 2 all light up ( LED fans ) and they all spin.

VGA from the mobo to monitor no signal to monitor
When HDMI tried to differant monitor no signal.

I know both monitors worked because I tried them on other computers.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Frldyz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:04 am 6) I left the 2 power connections connected from the PSU connected to the mobo. 1 is 18 pin and the other which connected into a 4 pin header on the mobo ( ATX-12V)
Well, one 24-pin (2x12) rather than 18 I suppose: the main ATX power connector. The ATX-12V connector is 4-pin, 2x2. In a former iteration of your reply there was a question as to 8 versus 4 pin there: yes, it is a CPU-power connector and it's normal for non-server motherboards to use 4-pin even though the lead from the PSU is split 8-pin. Yes, it should connect to a CPU/PCI-E connector PSU-sides. It's also keyed on both ends; it should therefore not be possible to connect it wrong on either side but check, since the lead does need to be connected for the CPU to power on.

I take it you also have your case speaker connected yet do not hear any beeps either. That would mean something is wrong at a very early level. I'd also reseat the CPU, RAM, take out the USB3 controller, ...

Other than that though I'm out of suggestions. Yes, the ATX-12V lead is an important one but it shouldn't be possible to connect that wrong if connected at all. So, well, if definitively nothing after doublechecking and reseating the CPU it seems like board or CPU may be bust.
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

rene wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:58 am
Frldyz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:04 am 6) I left the 2 power connections connected from the PSU connected to the mobo. 1 is 18 pin and the other which connected into a 4 pin header on the mobo ( ATX-12V)
Well, one 24-pin (2x12) rather than 18 I suppose: the main ATX power connector. The ATX-12V connector is 4-pin, 2x2. In a former iteration of your reply there was a question as to 8 versus 4 pin there: yes, it is a CPU-power connector and it's normal for non-server motherboards to use 4-pin even though the lead from the PSU is split 8-pin. Yes, it should connect to a CPU/PCI-E connector PSU-sides. It's also keyed on both ends; it should therefore not be possible to connect it wrong on either side but check, since the lead does need to be connected for the CPU to power on.

I take it you also have your case speaker connected yet do not hear any beeps either. That would mean something is wrong at a very early level. I'd also reseat the CPU, RAM, take out the USB3 controller, ...

Other than that though I'm out of suggestions. Yes, the ATX-12V lead is an important one but it shouldn't be possible to connect that wrong if connected at all. So, well, if definitively nothing after doublechecking and reseating the CPU it seems like board or CPU may be bust.
I took everything out of case and set on the mobo box.
I had the 24 pin PSU cable connected to mobo
I had the 8 pin that splits into 2 4 pin connections connected to the 4 pin header ATX-V12 or something
2 RAM sticks placed.
And I connected fans to all the fan headers.
I did connect a speaker tothe speaker header pins.

Powered it on by "shorting" it with screw drivers.
Fans light up and spin.
Speakers beeps like crazy. No pauses. No highs or lows. Its just fast and wont stop.

I tried looking up constant beeps with my mobo. From what I got from that is its RAM. Either not in correct spots, Not seated correctly. or wrong RAM.
1) The RAM is seated correctly you can really mess that up.
2) I tried differant RAM from another computer that does work ( So I know this 2nd RAM I tried worked ). Same thing constant very fast beeps with no break.

anyone......................

Could the dim slots be bad?
How can you test the dim slots to check if they are bad?

I'm on PC parts picker.
And when doing a build my A6 7400K CPU, gigabyte mobo F2A68HM-H and G.Skill ares F3-2133C9D-8GAB are all compatable with each other.....
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Frldyz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:50 am anyone......................
Only remaining suggestion I can personally think of is trying with the PSU from that second system.

Bad DIMM slots are quite unlikely, and other than simply trying, visual inspection would be the only practical test. Incompatible memory is quite a bit more likely generally but something I doubt in this case. Your board's official memory support list is at https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA ... upport-doc; while your DIMMs aren't mentioned specifically, other 2133MHz 4GiB double-sided ones are, also even from G.Skill. Given the A6 7400K which runs them at 1866MHz you moreover have a bit of room to spare; the DIMMs would seem unlikely to be incompatible.

I see you have an AMI BIOS from the MB manual: your beep codes should be at https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/FAQ/816. No continuous single tone beep mentioned for AMI; for AWARD it'd be a memory or PSU issue depending on long/short respectively. Not to say by the way that these general beep code listings on MB vendor sites tend to in fact have significant correlation with reality.

Have you reseated the CPU and visually inspected it for a bend pin? Made sure you did/could not force the wrong side of the ATX-12V lead in? If yes and yes, as said, could only suggest trying with a different PSU.
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

Yes I inspected the CPA this morning. I took a CPU off. And I look at it. Every pan looks to be completely straight. And yes it’s inserted correctly. I have the triangle on CPU aligned with the triangle on the motherboard socket. Are you 04 insertion. Literally just hold it over drop it and he goes right in no wiggle room.

I’m thinking tonight I’ll have to put the water cooler on just to see what’s going on and I can run it longer. Just hate to hook up the water cooler unit when the computers motherboard is not installed in case. And then I have to take it off and reinsert it. And reconnected. Then I will also try a power supply from another computer to see if that’s it I don’t know why it would be the power supply. Because as is the motherboard is getting power. Because it’s beeping. And the fans are spinning. So that tells me that the power supply is working. Or am I wrong?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Frldyz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:02 amSo that tells me that the power supply is working. Or am I wrong?
Power isn't that straighforward in a computer; there are various different voltages (+/- 5/12, +3.3), possibly various rails inside the PSU even for a single output voltage and for example a "power good" signal that the PSU needs to assert after it has stabilised its outputs; the board keeps the CPU from powering up until that time. That is, it's not just a "either works or not" plug-type of thing.

Admittedly the system beeping away does seem to say that the problem wouldn't be at that level but the Gigabyte site listing a continuous beep for PSU issues (even if only for Award) does on the other hand suggest they may have a hardware-implemented beep for the power-good situation. Seems unlikely -- but what do they otherwise mean...

You can supposedly place the motherboard box next to that opened second system as well; testing with its PSU might be easier than installing the water cooling.

Come to think of it: the fan you now have connected to the CPU-fan connector supposedly is one with a fully wired 4-pin connector (and not ridiculously low speed)? As far as I know any detection there will need a 4-pin connector so if your system is checking it it might still be the issue if you plugged in just anything there...
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

rene wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:41 am
Frldyz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:02 amSo that tells me that the power supply is working. Or am I wrong?
Power isn't that straighforward in a computer; there are various different voltages (+/- 5/12, +3.3), possibly various rails inside the PSU even for a single output voltage and for example a "power good" signal that the PSU needs to assert after it has stabilised its outputs; the board keeps the CPU from powering up until that time. That is, it's not just a "either works or not" plug-type of thing.

Admittedly the system beeping away does seem to say that the problem wouldn't be at that level but the Gigabyte site listing a continuous beep for PSU issues (even if only for Award) does on the other hand suggest they may have a hardware-implemented beep for the power-good situation. Seems unlikely -- but what do they otherwise mean...

You can supposedly place the motherboard box next to that opened second system as well; testing with its PSU might be easier than installing the water cooling.

Come to think of it: the fan you now have connected to the CPU-fan connector supposedly is one with a fully wired 4-pin connector (and not ridiculously low speed)? As far as I know any detection there will need a 4-pin connector so if your system is checking it it might still be the issue if you plugged in just anything there...
hmmm....

I just checked my mobo.

The CPU FAN header on the mobo is a 4 pin header.
I attached a 3 pin connection to this.

I'm planning to attach my Lep water cooling unit tonight and try that. But I noticed the fan connection coming out of the water block is only a 3 pin fan connection.
Looking @ the stock OEM AMD fan the fan has a 4 pin connection.

Do you think it's the difference between 3 pin fan and 4 pin fan when connected to a 4 pin CPU FAN header?

If thats the case why would my Lepa Water cooler only have a 3 pin connection?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Frldyz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:33 pmDo you think it's the difference between 3 pin fan and 4 pin fan when connected to a 4 pin CPU FAN header?
No I don't -- anymore. 4-pin fans can be speed-controlled but I for some reason thought that to be a package-deal with speed-sensing. According to Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_fan_control, it is not, with the third pin the sense pin. Certainly it makes sense that your water cooler wouldn't allow for speed adjustment...

This also means I have less hope for the water cooler to help though. If you'd still like to keep it pristine, I'd really advise the different PSU first.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I would go into the BIOS setup and snoop around, looking to see if the video/gpu is listed. It could be that you need to turn off "shadowing".
Maybe even set the BIOS to "system defaults", then rebooting.
Are you using the same VGA cable on the monitor that will not work on this build, but works on other desktops/laptops?
Are you switching VGA cables? If so, you could have a bad cable.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

Joe2Shoe wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:22 pm I would go into the BIOS setup and snoop around, looking to see if the video/gpu is listed. It could be that you need to turn off "shadowing".
Maybe even set the BIOS to "system defaults", then rebooting.
Are you using the same VGA cable on the monitor that will not work on this build, but works on other desktops/laptops?
Are you switching VGA cables? If so, you could have a bad cable.
*************** I can't get into the bios because there is nothing going to the monitor.
************** I am using the same VGA cable that I've always been using. And yes this monitor and cable work on other computers no problem.

Well I hooked up water cooler.

Turned on.

Constant non stop fast beep.....?

I'm running out of ideas.

I will clear the cmos sometime tonight and try again.

(****** trying to keep an eye on our infant and toddler.......... )

The mobo. is getting power right?

The LED light in the water pump turns on.

The 3 pin fan from water pump is connected to the 4 pin CPU FAN header

And the 2 3 pin fans on the rad. are connected to the sys fan 1 ( 4 pin ) and sys fan 2 ( 4 pin ) on the mobo.

The fans light up and spin.

I did pull out the CPU. All pins look straight.

Replaced with 0 insertion.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

IMHO, I would believe that the mobo gpu is defective. That's a possibility.
It doesn't take but a 1/2 minute or so to smoke a mobo that doesn't have a CPU cooling fan attached.
Bad caps on the mobo is also a possibility. I've only had 3-4 bad new mobos in the last 25+ years. It does happen.
Read the manuals for the mobo and the PSU to make sure everything is powered correctly. Even I miss something sometimes.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Frldyz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:36 pmConstant non stop fast beep.....?
Still points to PSU, specifically the "power good" signal, or RAM as most likely. An easy check you still have available is trying with one DIMM instead of 2; try in both slots.

Is everything new?
Frldyz

Post by Frldyz »

rene wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:01 pm
Frldyz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:36 pmConstant non stop fast beep.....?
Still points to PSU, specifically the "power good" signal, or RAM as most likely. An easy check you still have available is trying with one DIMM instead of 2; try in both slots.

Is everything new?
New yes.
Purchased last winter. But everything kept in package until now.

I'll pull the PSU from another computer tonight and try it.

I just need to power the mobo right?

Return to “Installation & Boot”