"Secret Storage Service" is not responding when trying to shutdown

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hguo83

"Secret Storage Service" is not responding when trying to shutdown

Post by hguo83 »

i am currently using Linux Mint 18.3 on my laptop and recently i am experiencing an intermittent problem when shutting down my laptop.

Sometimes (but not always though) i will get a pop-up box after clicking "Shut Down" in the Session box showing that "Secret Storage Service" is not responding, do i want to Wait, Cancel or Shutdown Anyway.

This is starting to get on my nerves a bit now and i can't seem to find any help by googling this issue, any help by the linux experts here will be great for me...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: "Secret Storage Service" is not responding when trying to shutdown

Post by Cosmo. »

What you mean is most likely the gnome keyring daemon. It is an repeatedly reported problem, but the developers cannot reproduce it.

The problem seems to exist only with auto-login enabled; so login in manually should help.
hguo83

Post by hguo83 »

Thanks for the quick reply...Really appreciate it :D

Even though this is only an intermittent issue for me but I just hate it when I couldn't shutdown smoothly like what I am used to in 17.3

By the way, I didn't get this issue at all when my laptop is running on 17.3, this issue only happen to me after I upgraded my laptop to 18.3

This issue must be a bug in 18.3 and the development team should really do something about it and not brushing it off just because they couldn't reproduce it in their lab...
Boxerman

Post by Boxerman »

I get this problem and I don't have auto log in enabled.

Frank
emveeoh

Post by emveeoh »

I am also having this issue. Specifically, in a VirtualBox VM. Auto-login is not enabled. Cannot shutdown without a hard reboot. Always get "Secret Storage Service" is not responding when trying to shutdown" message. Latest Mint as of March 1, 2018.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Do you use the "Secret Storage Service" (=gnome keyring)? I uninstalled it. You might try disabling it unless you need it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
electron1948
Level 1
Level 1

Post by electron1948 »

I too have this bug on a clean install of Mint 18.3 on a desktop but I don't get it on my 18.2 laptop.
It is possible that it started after I installed and set up Samba to connect the 18.3 desktop to the 18.2 laptop that I've had running for at least12 months. I don't use Auto Login on either machine.

Return to “Other topics”