$HOME/.dmrc is being ignored

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
vk2byf
Level 1
Level 1

$HOME/.dmrc is being ignored

Post by vk2byf »

[SOLVED] Another Newbie here

I tried to install Cubic SDR using someone's script.
The install works but I ended up with this error.

$HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored this prevents the default session and language from being saved.
Files should be owned by user and have 644 permissions.
Users $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writeable by other users. [OK]

I entered this from a terminal.
bob@bob-MS-7748 ~ $ ls -lhd ~ && ls -lha ~/.dmrc

drwxrwxrwx 129 bob bob 4.0K Jul 10 15:49 /home/bob
-rwxrwxrwx 1 bob bob 25 Jun 5 10:17 /home/bob/.dmrc

bob@bob-MS-7748 ~ $

something wrong with the drwxrwxrwx and /or the -rwxrwxrwx

This is as far as I got from reading other peoples posts and replies.
I know I stuffed up the permission for the file but don't know how to fix it
and I don't want to make it worse. The computer still works fine. It's Mint 17

Thanks for your help, Bob
Last edited by vk2byf on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: $HOME/.dmrc is being ignored

Post by Cosmo. »

Out of some reasons your file is writable by everybody, that is not allowed.

To correct this enter in a terminal

Code: Select all

chmod 600 ~/.dmrc
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

vk2byf wrote:drwxrwxrwx 129 bob bob 4.0K Jul 10 15:49 /home/bob
Although it might not cause problems, your $HOME shouldn't be writable to other people, so perhaps

chmod 755 $HOME
so it looks like
drwxr-xr-x ....
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
vk2byf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vk2byf »

SOLVED
Thanks to Cosmo and Flemur who helped me with this problem
Thanks, Bob vk2byf
electroken
Level 1
Level 1

Post by electroken »

Ok this is happening to me as well. I can log into my linux mint 17.3 ok but it gives me that same exact message.
I am not sure how to do this correctly using the command line.
Do I go to the command line and enter only this: sudo chmod 600 ~/.dmrc or do I put a space between / and the .dmrc?
I am not also sure how I go to CODE:SELECT ALL or if I need to write that first? I hate to mess up things worse than they are.

I have had trouble copying the contents of my home directory or it's subdirectory called ken (my user name) and it wont let me do it to another drive.
I have also had this same problem several times in copying files to a usb drive or from the usb drive to my computer to any of the directories under my user name, ken.
I worry that I might make things worse now doing something wrong and lose my home directory etc

Also wondering why one person has entered the command as chmod 755 instead of 600
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Code select is not a part of the command. It is a service of the forum software: If you click it, the complete content of the code box gets selected. Now simply press ctrl-c (which copies the command into your clipboard). Now open a terminal and press ctrl-shift-v (which pastes the command into your terminal). Press the Enter key - done.

The value 600 means, that you and only you have the rights to read and write this file. And no other rights should be given. 7xx would mean right to execute, but this file is not meant to get executed. xyy, where y is another value than zero means, that also other users have rights; also this is wrong.
If you would delete (or rename) this file it would get recreated at the next time, when you log in. If you now open the terminal and enter ls -la .dmrc you would find in the first column: "-rw--------", which is the equivalent to the value 600.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

electroken wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:59 pm
o I go to the command line and enter only this: sudo chmod 600 ~/.dmrc or do I put a space between / and the .dmrc?
I am not also sure how I go to CODE:SELECT ALL or if I need to write that first? I hate to mess up things worse than they are.
Enter as Cosmo put it.
Besides the "select all" function, you can hi-light it like any other text on any other OS;
in either case, rt-click->copy.
Then in your terminal, rt-click->paste.

Or open a terminal and

cd
sudo chmod 600 .dmrc 
because "~" = your home directory (/home/username) and "cd" w/o args goes to your home directory.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

sudo is not needed to change the permissions for an own file. If it should be needed to run successful, than there would also be an ownership problem, which would not get solved by the chmod command. (In general I warn against using sudo (or variants), if there is no valid reason to use it. It is not a Swiss army knife.)

Return to “Newbie Questions”