Please remove adobe-flashplugins from mint-meta-codecs-core

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kevin Tee

Re: Please remove adobe-flashplugins from mint-meta-codecs-core

Post by Kevin Tee »

absque fenestris wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:06 am
Kevin Tee wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:14 am Yeah, synaptic is the last resort when I introduce linux to other people. Software manager on linux mint is great now with flatpak!
Oops! I would be very careful with that statement...
What happen with flatpak? It it bad to include with software manager?
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Kevin Tee wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:14 am
Cosmo. wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:52 pm
Kevin Tee wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:29 pm Synaptic package manager does not have nice looking icon like app store and contain many package with very similar name like aaa, aaa-dev, aaa-doc for example which I am 100% sure that you guys know, but other out of this ecosystem don't.
For Mint 17.3 there are 50.000 packages listed. I doubt, that there are many people, who know only 10 or 20 % of them by name; I don't. But I also use a classical telephone book with ten thousands, in some cities even millions of entries. Also here I do not know only a fraction of the people listed there and a telephone book also has no icons and such, but it works. At least I can find the person or organization, which I need to phone. So this is no convincing argument.

There is software with much eye candy (e. g the software manager) and there is software with much information and much power for configuring. Synaptic belongs to the second fraction. You can use it's power, but you can also use the software with more eye candy. It is your choice.
Yeah, synaptic is the last resort when I introduce linux to other people. Software manager on linux mint is great now with flatpak!
I get the impression you're trying to make Linux into something it's not.

Both Ubuntu and Mint, based on it, brought Linux to the masses with an easy-to-use installation and interface, but at this point it is still not for the click-a-tile and install/uninstall crowd. Have a look at the "Why can't kids use computer" thread.
Linux has a long way to go before it gets dumbed-down as far as Windows has. I have a Windows 10 computer at work, and I can't believe that 35 years after the introduction of the Mac/PC they have to make it that insipid. It would seem to me the kids who grew up with computers in the house would have a better understanding, not worse! Aptitude vs ineptitude.

You're going to have to wait a few more years until Linux gets that "user friendly". It's just not the same beast.

OK...I'll put my soapbox away...
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

PS: Can you even imagine the "Good Old Days" that Portrieve, I believe it was related in another thread? Find trhe program, install the program, try to run the program and then find out there's an unmet dependency...try to install that dependency and then find out IT has a dependency...then you find a library way down deep is no longer installable...

Synaptic and Package Manager has made this a lot easier, but still not completely foolproof...
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Kevin Tee wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:33 am Serious question. How often do they read forums, I know that they read from time to time, but how often?
A) When they have time.

B) When they feel like it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Kevin Tee

Post by Kevin Tee »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:13 pm I get the impression you're trying to make Linux into something it's not.

Both Ubuntu and Mint, based on it, brought Linux to the masses with an easy-to-use installation and interface, but at this point it is still not for the click-a-tile and install/uninstall crowd. Have a look at the "Why can't kids use computer" thread.
Linux has a long way to go before it gets dumbed-down as far as Windows has. I have a Windows 10 computer at work, and I can't believe that 35 years after the introduction of the Mac/PC they have to make it that insipid. It would seem to me the kids who grew up with computers in the house would have a better understanding, not worse! Aptitude vs ineptitude.

You're going to have to wait a few more years until Linux gets that "user friendly". It's just not the same beast.

OK...I'll put my soapbox away...
I agree that I don't want linux mint to be dumb down. I prefer linux mint this way. But linux is freedom right? I think it can be anything, but that topic is for another day.
I think this thread have gone off-topic which I understand. Well... forget it just install flash for newbie handbook.
Last edited by Moem on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trimming a quote
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Kevin Tee wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:33 pm
absque fenestris wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:06 am
Kevin Tee wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:14 am Yeah, synaptic is the last resort when I introduce linux to other people. Software manager on linux mint is great now with flatpak!
Oops! I would be very careful with that statement...
What happen with flatpak? It it bad to include with software manager?
Please look at this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=264766
Installation was quick and easy. Tidying up took a little longer.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

absque fenestris wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:02 am
Kevin Tee wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:33 pm What happen with flatpak? It it bad to include with software manager?
Please look at this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=264766
Installation was quick and easy. Tidying up took a little longer.
That's rather shocking to read. :shock:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
thunderamur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thunderamur »

Kevin Tee wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:13 pm Adobe flash plugins is a large security hole and will be depreciated soon. Please remove from mint-meta-codecs-core and give option to install separately on both during installation and after installation.
I agree this idea! Adobe-flashplugin must be optional.

Return to “Sound”