intel 8700k sipport

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mirkoj

intel 8700k sipport

Post by mirkoj »

Is intel 8700k CPU supported in 18.3 mint having install and even USB live start issues, someone pointed that it could be CPU but can't find confirmation so wondering is 8700k supported at all or I need to wait for newer version?
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: intel 8700k sipport

Post by thx-1138 »

...this is a Coffee Lake processor, so yes, there's a good chance it might give you a few headaches to get it running properly for the time being, but it's not out of the question.

For generic LiveUSB boot issues (eg. NVidia problems etc), check the notes under 'Solving freezes during the boot sequence'. If you get stuck, ask around.

Now, after successful installation, you'd need to first update to kernel 4.13 (and pretty much everything else under Level 4 in Update Manager).
Then, you'd need to: gksudo xed /etc/default/grub, change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i915.alpha_support=1 quiet splash", save, then finally run sudo update-grub in order to make that change permanent & effective.
mirkoj

Re: intel 8700k sipport

Post by mirkoj »

Ah thanks, I've got some notes to update kernel but was missing this part how to boot at all. Will try.

Return to “Hardware Support”