Dual boot system requirements

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jlapinsnki4

Dual boot system requirements

Post by jlapinsnki4 »

I’m planning to buy a new laptop and run both win 10 and mint 18.3. I’m looking at an Asus with an 8th gen i58250u with 8gb ddr4 ram. Any opinions on if this machine will handle the dual boot and not sacrifice performance?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Dual boot system requirements

Post by Moem »

As far as I know, dual boot doesn't have anything to do with performance. After all, you're only running one OS at a time. It can be easier or harder to install both OSses, depending on the machine and things like the BIOS (or UEFI) version and implementation, but that's a different matter.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

We have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LD ... UTF8&psc=1

Bought a 1TB HDD to go in the available bay, and 16GB RAM upgrade at the same time. Split it in half; put Mint and its partitions on one half, and made the other half NTFS, so files could be saved there and used by either system. (Its my daughter's school work laptop.)

Every feature on it seems to work equally well with either Win or Mint, with the exception of the Nvidia graphics. I haven't found a driver it likes yet, but not too worried about that.

Eric
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
jlapinsnki4

Post by jlapinsnki4 »

Thanks so much! I am looking at this one:
ASUS VivoBook F510UA FHD Laptop, Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, USB-C, NanoEdge Display, Fingerprint, Windows 10, Star Gray (F510UA-AH51)

I’m currently running mint 18.3 on a i5 Asus ZenBook I bought in 2012 and it works flawlessly.
Fiduggin67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fiduggin67 »

Some older hardware will handle Mint 18.3 just fine. I am running it on a 2008 Toshiba A210, AMD64 dual core, with only 2GB memory. There is minimal performance sacrifices ( web browsers open slowly), but power on to desktop is less than a minute. The hardware you are describing will work just fine.

Bob
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Return to “Hardware Support”