[SOLVED] Is There A Cinnamon 18.3 Dock?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

[SOLVED] Is There A Cinnamon 18.3 Dock?

Post by Ozo »

I am looking for a dock for Cinnamon 18.3. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Is There A Cinnamon 18.3 Dock?

Post by MintBean »

If you search 'dock' in the software manager, your top 3 results are:

Docky
Cairo-dock
Plank

Personally I prefer Cairo-dock.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

MintBean wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:58 pm If you search 'dock' in the software manager, your top 3 results are:

Docky
Cairo-dock
Plank

Personally I prefer Cairo-dock.
Do you actually have one of these operating correctly in Cinnamon 18.3?
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Yes, Cairo.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I was making some headway configuring the Cairo Dock but now am at an impasse. I can not seem to get it to launch.

Thanks for the reply. Now I know it is not a waste of time looking for a solution.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Try running it from a terminal to see what it reports by typing:
cairo-dock

Here's a successful run. You'll notice it throws a bunch of warnings but this isn't a problem.

Code: Select all

warning :  (/build/buildd/cairo-dock-3.4.1/src/implementations/cairo-dock-egl.c:gldi_register_egl_backend:232)  
  Cairo-Dock was not built with EGL support
warning :  (/build/buildd/cairo-dock-3.4.1/src/implementations/cairo-dock-glx.c:_initialize_opengl_backend:129)  
  couldn't find an appropriate visual, trying to get one without Stencil buffer
(it may cause some little deterioration in the rendering) ...

============================================================================
	Cairo-Dock version : 3.4.1
	Compiled date      : Feb 19 2015 18:17:26
	Built with GTK     : 3.14
	Running with OpenGL: 1

cairo_dock_register_class_full: assertion 'cDesktopFile != NULL || cClassName != NULL' failed
warning :  (/build/buildd/cairo-dock-3.4.1/src/gldit/cairo-dock-user-icon-manager.c:gldi_user_icons_new_from_directory:133)  
  Unable to load a valid icon from '/home/lee/.config/cairo-dock/current_theme/launchers/01gcalctool.desktop'; the file is either unreadable, unvalid or does not correspond to any installed program, and will be deleted
Launcher-API-Daemon: registered as Unity: <dbus.service.BusName com.canonical.Unity on <dbus._dbus.SessionBus (session) at 0x7fcce4b5e3b0> at 0x7fcce4b62f90>
connect...
-> connected to cairo-dock
Launcher-API-Daemon: Update application://thunderbird.desktop with dbus.Dictionary({dbus.String(u'count'): dbus.Int64(1L, variant_level=1), dbus.String(u'urgent'): dbus.Boolean(False, variant_level=1), dbus.String(u'progress-visible'): dbus.Boolean(False, variant_level=1), dbus.String(u'count-visible'): dbus.Boolean(False, variant_level=1), dbus.String(u'progress'): dbus.Double(0.0, variant_level=1)}, signature=dbus.Signature('sv'))
Launcher-API-Daemon: set_count (1)
Launcher-API-Daemon: set_progress (0.00)
Launcher-API-Daemon: set_urgent (0)
Launcher-API-Daemon: set_count_visible (0)
Launcher-API-Daemon: set_progress_visible (0)
('new owner:', dbus.UTF8String(':1.116'))
Launcher-API-Daemon: launcher bus name changed: :1.45
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

warning :  (/build/buildd/cairo-dock-3.4.1/src/implementations/cairo-dock-egl.c:gldi_register_egl_backend:232)  
  Cairo-Dock was not built with EGL support
warning :  (/build/buildd/cairo-dock-3.4.1/src/implementations/cairo-dock-glx.c:_initialize_opengl_backend:129)  
  couldn't find an appropriate visual, trying to get one without Stencil buffer
(it may cause some little deterioration in the rendering) ...

Cairo-Dock version : 3.4.1
	Compiled date      : Feb 19 2015 18:17:26
	Built with GTK     : 3.14
	Running with OpenGL: 1

warning :  (/build/buildd/cairo-dock-3.4.1/src/gldit/cairo-dock-utils.c:cairo_dock_launch_command_sync_with_stderr:260)  
  No value set for `/desktop/gnome/interface/font_name'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cairo-dock/cairo-dock-launcher-API-daemon", line 35, in <module>
    from CairoDock import CairoDock
ImportError: No module named CairoDock
warning :  (/build/buildd/cairo-dock-3.4.1/src/gldit/cairo-dock-keybinder.c:init_object:358)  
  Couldn't bind '<Super>L' (Log out: Lock the screen)
 This shortkey is probably already used by another applet or another application
warning :  (/build/buildd/cairo-dock-3.4.1/src/gldit/cairo-dock-keybinder.c:init_object:358)  
  Couldn't bind '<Control>F12' (Log out: Show the logout menu)
  Couldn't bind '<Control>F10' (Recent-Events: Show/hide the Recent Events)
  Couldn't bind '<Control>F1' (Applications Menu: Show/hide the Applications menu)
  Couldn't bind '<Control>F2' (Applications Menu: Show/hide the quick-launch dialogue)
  Couldn't bind '<Super>Return' (Control from keyboard: Enable/disable the keyboard control of the dock)
  Couldn't bind '<Control>F6' (Quick Browser: Show/hide the folder menu)
  Couldn't bind '<Shift><Ctrl>F4' (Show Desktop: Expose all the desktops)
warning :  (/build/cairo-dock-plug-ins-n7atfD/cairo-dock-plug-ins-3.4.1/shortcuts/src/applet-drives.c:cd_shortcuts_list_drives:321)  
  couldn't detect any drives
warning :  (/build/cairo-dock-plug-ins-n7atfD/cairo-dock-plug-ins-3.4.1/shortcuts/src/applet-load-icons.c:cd_shortcuts_build_shortcuts_from_data:310)  
  Shortcuts : can't monitor bookmarks
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I have Plank working and it is easy to configure. The settings are accessed with a terminal entry
(plank --preferences). I had 15 links on top but changed to 10 which works a bit better because it is more narrow and so is less likely to conflict with the window corners. The dock does not span the entire screen when fewer icons are on it. It is on auto hide. When the dock is hidden on top it is set to hide slowly and open with a slight delay.I prefer the transparent dock. Thanks for the help Mintbean.

EDIT: I tried Docky but I could not configure it easily. Plank is perfect.

Last edited by Ozo on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 13 times in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Ozo wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:27 pm The settings are accessed with a terminal entry (plank --preferences).
Ctrl+right-click on the plank works for me.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

catweazel wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:30 pm
Ozo wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:27 pm The settings are accessed with a terminal entry (plank --preferences).
Ctrl+right-click on the plank works for me.
That is much easier. Thanks :)

EDIT May 20, 2018: Now it only takes a right click.
EDIT June 10,2018. It is a right click when over a open spot which is large when the dock spans the bottom. But over the launcher icons it is CTRL/R-Click.
Last edited by Ozo on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Ozo wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:40 pm That is much easier. Thanks :)
:mrgreen: You're most welcome.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Is There A Cinnamon 18.3 Dock?

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

I know this is solved, but this is Cairo-Dock using the Alu theme running under Mint 18.2 Cinnamon.

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Yup, that is the one that I can not launch. I am now using Docky on the bottom, 2d Docky on the left and the panel on top. Currently I have just 7 icons on the bottom and 9 of the lesser used on the left. This is working out real well this way. :)

The next time I load a new system I will give Cairo another try. EDIT: I did and it works.

One thing about Plank and Docky is that they display an icon of active apps. and a right click on one will give an option to "Pin to Dock". I am enjoying the experience.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
Last edited by Ozo on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

I see that OpenGL is running so that's working. I'm running this on an iMac 9.1 and have no problems. It's also running on a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop and a home built PC as well. All with Mint 18.x Cinnamon. Can you give us a look at your system? Enter the following command at a terminal: inxi -Fxz. If you type, the F is a capital. Post it back here between Code tags - (</>).
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

ser@BOTT9778 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: BOTT9778 Kernel: 4.13.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: MICRO-STAR product: MS-B09611
           Mobo: MICRO-STAR model: MS-B0961 v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: EB096IMS V1.2 date: 03/30/2015
CPU:       Dual core Intel Celeron 3205U (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 5986
           clock speeds: max: 1500 MHz 1: 1496 MHz 2: 1496 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Broadwell GT1
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-36-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 60.0GB (65.9% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: OCZ size: 60.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 47G used: 30G (66%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: /boot size: 472M used: 193M (43%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 8.48GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 184 Uptime: 3:26 Memory: 2299.5/7873.8MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Last edited by Moem on Wed May 09, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Swapped the [c] tags out for [code] tags; the code tags retain some formatting that makes your output easier to read.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Too bad there is no way to toggle desktop icons with a single click instead of five. No dock required. :D

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I just got a computer back from factory support and loaded the three components of Cairo dock and it loaded without a hitch. It is an identical system to the one above. Loaded Alu. :)

EDIT: Desktop Dock. There is a simple way to toggle the desktop. It is a file so minimize the desktop file and when opened any icons you have there will appear with one click. click the panel icon again and it is minimized.

Unlike the actual desktop you can not drag icons to the dock however.

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

This is my desktop with dock (Plank) on the bottom and Panel on the left. notice that there is no calendar on the striped down panel. I am using the calendar extension on my browser.

The wallpaper is from 18.3 Sylvia's slideshow. The icons are wildfire. The Menu button is the funny little icon lower left.

Of course these are set to auto hide. The icons are sized so large because this is on a 40" monitor about 12' away from my lounge. The panel is at its maximum size and I am in Double Scale too.

There are myriad ways to do this but I think I am close enough to what I wanted to settle on this.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

From my rather limited experience Cairo-dock is a lot more customisable but tends to crash /freeze / become unresponsive more. I've gone back to using Plank.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

deanr72 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:29 am From my rather limited experience Cairo-dock is a lot more customisable but tends to crash /freeze / become unresponsive more. I've gone back to using Plank.
Yes Plank is an excellent dock. It is especially nice when used in conjunction with workspaces. When the dock is on the bottom it works well. When a dock launcher is clicked the program pops up and another click minimizes it. Plank has indicator lights below each launcher to indicate that it is active.

I have changed my set up many times but the most recent configuration has remained unchanged for a while and it seems pretty much fixed. That is Plank on the bottom and a stripped down panel on the left. There is no Windows List applet so there is not much need to open the panel except to shutdown/restart and to look at the calendar. Even the Menu is stripped down but functional.

The icons and the menu are large due to Double Scale so I can see them well on my big screen from my lounge.

The panel and dock are automatically hidden of course.

To keep things simple, I use just two Workspaces now.

EDIT: The session applet makes more sense at the bottom of the panel as Shutdown is the last option on the session list. That puts shutdown right next to the applet so is quicker.

Click to enlarge

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”