Mouse + keyboard freezes in new install of Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aczer

Mouse + keyboard freezes in new install of Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Post by aczer »

Hello everyone,

Just installed Mint today, I am a first time user so still trying to find my way around things, but I believe I have updated everything I could after a fresh install (dual boot, also have Win10 installed). Details of my computer and configuration are below.

For some reason my mouse and keyboard freeze frequently, probably around every 20 seconds or so it freezes for 3-4 seconds and then resumes working normally, just to freeza again 20 seconds later. A few things worth to note:

1. I have 2 graphics cards. Each physically has 2 connectors but only one is now used to connect to each monitor. I suspect the 2 graphics cards are causing the freezes but am not 100% sure.

2. When I remote 1 card I do not see freezes but I was unable to get 2 monitors to work with any of these 2 cards - despite both having 2 physical connectors on the back.

3. I have a dual boot with Windows 10. When I boot on Windows both displays, mouse and keyboard work normally.

4. I tried everything I could think of to try to have my desktop only use 1 graphics card and use that one graphics card's 2 connectors in the back to have dual monitors. Despite many attempts I was not able to make this work in either Mint or Windows. Not sure why. Tried to update BIOS, play with IRQ settings, but nothing worked.

5. When I go to the driver manager I see nvidia-340 marked as "recommended", but I tried that tonight and caused Linux to boot to a black screen. I had to reinstall it. This time I kept the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau option which works (but may be related to the mouse freezes).

Currently I have both cards and both monitors working normally, extending the desktop which is what I want. The only remaining problem I have is the freezes of the keyboard and mouse which are quite annoying. Any ideas what may be causing this, where I can find logs that may give me more clues or what I may need to do to fix?

Thanks!!!

Below are my system settings.

System: Host: Z200 Kernel: 4.13.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: lightdm Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Z200 SFF Workstation Chassis: type: 4
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 0B48h Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: 786H4 v01.18 date: 09/09/2013
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7 870 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 23412
clock speeds: min/max: 1199/3066 MHz 1: 1199 MHz 2: 1199 MHz 3: 1199 MHz 4: 1199 MHz
5: 1199 MHz 6: 1199 MHz 7: 1199 MHz 8: 1199 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Caicos XTX [Radeon HD 8490 / R5 235X OEM]
bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:6771
Card-2: NVIDIA GT218GL [Quadro FX 380 LP] bus-ID: 18:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0a78
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau
Resolution: 1920x1200@59.95hz, 1920x1200@59.95hz
GLX Renderer: AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.13.0-32-generic, LLVM 5.0.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:3b56
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Caicos HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6400 Series]
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:aa98
Card-3 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 18:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0be3
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-32-generic
Network: Card: Intel 82578DM Gigabit Network Connection
driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 3100 bus-ID: 00:19.0 chip-ID: 8086:10ef
IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (5.9% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500AAKX size: 250.1GB serial: WD-WCAYW0409957
Partition: ID-1: / size: 86G used: 6.5G (8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: System: supported: N/A
No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Unused Devices: none
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 32.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 47.5,45.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
deb [arch=amd64] http: //dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com sylvia main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial main restricted universe multiverse
deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http: //archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ xenial partner
Info: Processes: 219 Uptime: 30 min Memory: 1185.5/20008.2MB
Init: systemd v: 229 runlevel: 5 default: 2 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Unknown python2.7 client inxi: 2.2.35
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lord Boltar

Re: Mouse + keyboard freezes in new install of Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Post by Lord Boltar »

Look like you have a nVidia driver issue - have you used your driver manager to check for driver updates? It is under All applications
aczer

Post by aczer »

I did check the driver manager. When I go there I see nvidia-340 marked as "recommended", but I tried that and caused Linux to boot to a black screen. I had to reinstall it and now kept the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau option which works (but may be related to the mouse freezes). I could try switching to nvidia-340 again if that turns out to be the problem - and then I will try to solve the issue of why it boots into a blank screen. Thoughts?
richlion2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by richlion2 »

aczer wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17 pm I did check the driver manager. When I go there I see nvidia-340 marked as "recommended", but I tried that and caused Linux to boot to a black screen. I had to reinstall it and now kept the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau option which works (but may be related to the mouse freezes). I could try switching to nvidia-340 again if that turns out to be the problem - and then I will try to solve the issue of why it boots into a blank screen. Thoughts?
It's no wonder Linus hates Nvidia, so do I. After recent updates on the Nvidia drivers I can only use the generic nouveau driver. Nvidia = BLACK SCREEN.
Although I didn't notice any such freezing behavior.
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

I have nVidia drivers on my laptop 384.111 version and have no issues

To begin, open the System Settings program and then click Software Sources from the Administration section. After this, click the PPAs option on the left-side and then click the Add a New PPA button. In the text box, type in ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa. Then click the Ok button followed by Update the cache.

This will give you the most current drivers
rmisra1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rmisra1 »

Dear all

i am also facing same issue... yesterday i installed 18.3 on one of Hard Disk ...every thing went fine during installation of Software , updating Software , updated the NVidia recommended driver ( as my Desktop has GT 710 card) .. even i saved Snapshot & backup on another Hard Disk in same Desktop ...
today morning when i open the Desktop to work ....i noticed that some time System freeze at login prompt ... key board and Mouse Stop working ... some time after reboot ... it allow me to type password to log-in ...but as soon it shows main main ...once again system freeze and key Boards and mouse stop working ...

my Desktop is based on Intel Core 2 Duo processor with Zebronics Z31 mother board ..., 4 GB RAM & one2 GB Graphic card from Gigabyte (Nvidia GT710)... and i have connected my Monitor over the HDMI Cable ...
please help to fix this issue ......
unfortunately i can not share any logs ...as issue is i can't work over freeze Desktop

BTW... i noticed i am not getting the Grub2 menu ... as soon i start my Desktop it boot directly to Mint 18.3 .. which seems odd to me

With Regards
Rakesh
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

To access the grub2 menu hold down the left shift key at startup
rmisra1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rmisra1 »

Thanks ... After accessing the grub2 menu at booting time..I use "nomodeset" option by editing line...Noticed freezing issue stopped...But doing very time of startup it is painful... Please suggest how to edit grub2 permanently..Once I log in to system...
2nd please suggest how to change dual boot sequence in grub2 ..As I want to make my win10 (using dual boot now) is not coming as 1st option...So that I'm case of windows restart..grub2 automatically select the 1st boot option having win10

With regards
Rakesh
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

rmisra1 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:39 pm Thanks ... After accessing the grub2 menu at booting time..I use "nomodeset" option by editing line...Noticed freezing issue stopped...But doing very time of startup it is painful... Please suggest how to edit grub2 permanently..Once I log in to system...

Code: Select all

gksudo xed /etc/default/grub
( xed being your text editor )
edit the line

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
same as how you used nomodset to boot.
Click file and 'save as'
rmisra1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rmisra1 »

Thanks for your reply and support ..
much appreciated..

BTW ..i think, this step should be part of of the Linuxmint installation document.

with regards
Rakesh
emmfranklin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emmfranklin »

I have had the same issue. I found a workaround. i unplugged my mouse and keyboard and plugged both of them into two other usb ports. that solved it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”