Cinnamon menu looks different after update

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Cinnamon menu looks different after update

Post by Termy »

:D Awesome. I love Linux. So much fun.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Penn

Post by Penn »

Regardless of aptitude and apt-get or even apt (which I tend to use) and shared libraries, different methods of installing the same packages can have different effects. One example I personally came across with Stretch came when adding DMOs repository key (deb-multimedia.org). Downloading the deb and using gdebi it wouldn't take so I to use the "dpkg" command on their site and it worked. I've come across other examples personally but cant recall details.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned in the manner I did anyway since this has gone from approaching your actual issue to a discussion on installation and upgrade methods. There are possible other reasons. If you didn't reinstall yet-

Check system monitor to see if any Mate processes are running. Unless you are in fallback mode there shouldn't be.
Check keybindings.
Or maybe you installed the applet that emulates Mate's menu and have both the true Cinnamon menu applet and that spices applet running? They shouldn't be overlapping but who knows. Those are just my first guesses.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

The article probably should probably cover mint's apt python wrapper which depending on arguments can call the debian apt, apt-get, aptitude, dpkg or other mint specific scripts under the hood...

These snippets of it's source code show the mapping...notably apt dist-upgrade will actually perform /usr/bin/apt full-upgrade

Code: Select all

if argcommand in ("autoremove", "list", "show", "install", "remove", "purge", "update", "upgrade", "full-upgrade", "edit-sources"):
    # apt
    command = "/usr/bin/apt %s %s" % (argcommand, argoptions)
elif argcommand in ("clean", "dselect-upgrade", "build-dep", "check", "autoclean", "source", "moo"):
    # apt-get
    command = "apt-get %s %s" % (argcommand, argoptions)
elif argcommand in ("changelog", "reinstall"):
    # aptitude
    command = "aptitude %s %s" % (argcommand, argoptions)
elif argcommand in ("stats", "depends", "rdepends", "policy"):
    # apt-cache
    command = "apt-cache %s %s" % (argcommand, argoptions)
elif argcommand in ("recommends", ):
    command = "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintsystem/mint-apt-recommends.py " + argoptions
elif argcommand in ("showhold", "hold", "unhold"):
    # apt-mark
    command = "apt-mark %s %s" % (argcommand, argoptions)
elif argcommand in ("markauto", "markmanual"):
    # apt-mark
    command = "apt-mark %s %s" % (argcommand[4:], argoptions)
elif argcommand == "contains":
    command = "dpkg -S %s" % argoptions
elif argcommand == "content":
    command = "dpkg -L %s" % argoptions
elif argcommand == "deb":
    command = "dpkg -i %s" % argoptions
elif argcommand == "build":
    command = "dpkg-buildpackage %s" % argoptions
elif argcommand == "version":
    command = "/usr/lib/linuxmint/common/version.py %s" % argoptions
elif argcommand == "download":
    command = "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintsystem/mint-apt-download.py " + argoptions
elif argcommand == "add-repository":
    command = "add-apt-repository %s" % argoptions
elif argcommand == "search":
    command = "aptitude -w %s %s %s" % (columns, argcommand, argoptions)
else:
    usage()
    sys.exit(1)

aliases = {
    "dist-upgrade": "full-upgrade",
    "sources": "edit-sources",
    "held": "showhold"
}
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Regarding the OP's original problem the screenshot doesn't quite look like the CinnVIIStarkMenu - it does look like the Mate fallback menu...

What happens after restarting cinnamon 'Alt F2' then type r and enter
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Mia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mia »

Penn wrote:Check system monitor to see if any Mate processes are running. Unless you are in fallback mode there shouldn't be.
Check keybindings.
Or maybe you installed the applet that emulates Mate's menu and have both the true Cinnamon menu applet and that spices applet running? They shouldn't be overlapping but who knows. Those are just my first guesses.

m $ pgrep -a [mM]ate
5285 mate-panel --replace
m $ pgrep -af [mM]ate
5332 /usr/lib/mate-panel/wnck-applet
5338 /usr/lib/mate-panel/clock-applet
5340 /usr/lib/mate-panel/notification-area-applet
Ukraine is my pain and my pride.
Mia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mia »

smurphos wrote:What happens after restarting cinnamon 'Alt F2' then type r and enter
Nothing changes - the same behavior.
Mia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mia »

Mia wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:08 am

m $ pgrep -a [mM]ate
m $ pgrep -af [mM]ate
5332 /usr/lib/mate-panel/wnck-applet
5338 /usr/lib/mate-panel/clock-applet
5340 /usr/lib/mate-panel/notification-area-applet
Actually,

pkill mate-panel
solves the problem. But I can't get it why does it start. The only installed package depending on mate-panel is cinnamon.
Penn

Post by Penn »

So my first guess (system monitor) is the case, you have both the Cinnamon and Mate panels running.

Check system log to see if Cinnamon may be crashing without you noticing since a Cinnamon crash will automatically start mate-panel as part of fallback. If you are getting a recurring crash that is a different problem and solving that will solve this.

If it is starting at login/startup and no crash/fallback of Cinnamon is occurring it is obviously somehow in the login/startup routine. Again, just a guess, but maybe "cinnamon --replace" will overwrite any values that are executing mate-panel.
Mia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mia »

Nothing interesting about cinnamon in /var/log.
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Rather than a clean installation. Possibly first try adding another user account, log into that account to check if the same thing happens?
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Dave B wrote:Possibly first try adding another user account, log into that account ...
Good suggestion.

Do those two methods always activate the same menu respectively? That doesn't sound like a Cinnamon crash as you seem to have found already; maybe the key assignment has been changed?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Mia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mia »

Hi all. I've put off this issue for a while since you helped me to "fix" it temporarily by killing the mate-panel process (I'd have a more urgent problem with some math software, and I even tried another Linux distros but came back to Mint - it's a long and interesting story, but this topic is definitely not the best place to tell it). Later I tried to run cinnamon by another user - and it worked well, no panel issues at all. It made me curious, and I started to try different software under the same new user and finally found some more differences in several GUI programs. So I decided, maybe the source of all the issues is my very old dot-files (I didn't clean it up for years). I created a totally empty $HOME dir and copied there only several dot-files I've edited by hands (like, .config/mpv/*, .zshrc, .gitconfig, and a couple more). Everything works fine now. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”