xscreensaver/cinnamon-screensaver won't run when screen is locked

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
okasion
Level 1
Level 1

xscreensaver/cinnamon-screensaver won't run when screen is locked

Post by okasion » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:45 am

This happened since one of the latest updates, I cannot say which one because I am not sure.

I would lock the screen as usual (Ctrl+Alt+L) before going to bed (for example), and wake up and see the screen still locked with the dark background with no screensaver running
What I tried to do: I found out that xscreensaver wasn't even installed, as a long Linux user, I assumed all distributions used this daemon to run the screensaver, I found very odd that it wasn't installed since I had the Cinnamon screensaver options, but anyway, I did install it and configured it without problems.
Again, I would lock the screen, and no screensaver would run whatsoever. I found out that both screensaver daemons were running too:

Code: Select all

$ ps ax | grep screen
 1268 ?        S      0:04 xscreensaver -nosplash
 1763 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cinnamon-settings-daemon/csd-screensaver-proxy
 2040 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto screen
 2077 ?        Sl     2:54 cinnamon-screensaver
25839 ?        S      0:00 xscreensaver-demo
anyway, none could "breach" the mighty locked screen. I proceeded to uninstall xscreensaver, so only the Cinnamon one would run, I got:

Code: Select all

$ ps ax | grep screen
 1763 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cinnamon-settings-daemon/csd-screensaver-proxy
 2077 ?        Sl     2:54 cinnamon-screensaver
 3296 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto screen
I tried not to change too much options in the Cinnamon screensaver window; I also noticed I had an uptime of 4 days, so I rebooted my computer, then locked the desktop again, and waited... but the screensaver never launched.
I do not know what else to do, can someone help me or guide me where to look? thanks in advance.

okasion
Level 1
Level 1

Re: xscreensaver/cinnamon-screensaver won't run when screen is locked

Post by okasion » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:50 am

These are my current screensaver settings
These are my current screensaver settings

okasion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by okasion » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:47 pm

I fixed it myself. I don't know exactly what it was, but I uninstalled xscreensaver, then rebooted my computer which had an uptime of 4 days+, later updated everything except critical packages like the kernel, mesa drivers, etc; then made absolutely sure that the Cinnamon-screensaver, would be running.
Now the screensaver launched properly (or at least what I cared to see, the monitor going to sleep/suspend), but when I would come back, the resolution of the desktop would be wrong; I remembered that I changed an option in Power Management just some days ago about stating the power button to shutdown the computer immediately instead of.. I think it was on Ask by default, and by default it wasn't doing anything at all, SO, I changed it to Suspend. I don't think why I thought about changing this option, probably because it was something that I have probably changed once in my life- so I remembered it, and I suspected that it was faulty, Linux or Mint, but it was faulty.

Now when I lock the screen, the screensaver later takes on, and later it suspends the machine, along with the monitor obviously. When I come back, everything is it was before I locked the computer.

Posting the solution in case some Ubuntu/Mint guy has a similar problem.
Attachments
My Power Management setup right now at the moment of making this post.
My Power Management setup right now at the moment of making this post.

okasion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by okasion » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:39 pm

You guys seem to not care about this.

Anyway, I still had the same problem with the resolution being wrong when unlocking the screen, I don't mind using always energy(electricity), I DO MIND my monitor losing years of life, so in the end, this is the last setup
Attachments
I wish someone could give a look to this, but times have changed.
I wish someone could give a look to this, but times have changed.

Return to “Cinnamon”