<SOLVED> installation issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jlapinsnki4

Re: installation issues

Post by jlapinsnki4 »

It is the software on the USB drive to install the distro. I have it loaded from the USB drive right now and I am on a live desktop.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

What is the Terminal output for sudo parted -l.?
jlapinsnki4

Post by jlapinsnki4 »

Live LM USB and post the Terminal output for sudo parted -l and inxi -Fxz

there are 3 partitions on the SSD drive
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

For a dual-drives computer, you need to use the manual "Something else" install method. If Win 10 is still present on the 128GB SSD(= ntfs partitions), it needs to be deleted first. Linux partitions are ext4.

Check the disk mode, ms-dos or GPT.?
....... If the SSD and HDD are in GPT disk mode, you need to use the built-in GParted program to convert them to ms-dos/MBR disk mode, ie >Create new partition table >ms-dos >Apply. This is because enabling CSM = Legacy BIOS install mode = should use ms-dos/MBR disk mode and not GPT disk mode.
jlapinsnki4

Post by jlapinsnki4 »

Win 10 is off the computer. The partition table is msdos
jlapinsnki4

Post by jlapinsnki4 »

should I try to install? have I messed up the partitions?
jlapinsnki4

Post by jlapinsnki4 »

I unmounted the partitions that were currently in use and I am at the "installation type" box. I "think" this is where I messed things us before. It says my machine currrently has Linux Mint 18.3 installed should I erase and install again?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

1. Click "Install LM"
2. Follow the Install Wizard prompts.
3. Select the manual "Something else" install method.
4. Click on the Linux partitions on the 128GB SSD and click - to delete all of them. This will create a new free space on the SSD.
5. Click on the free space on the SSD and manually partition the SSD. ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)
6. Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the 128GB SSD = usually it's /sda.
7. The 1TB HDD will be used for data storage later.
8. After install has completed, click "Continue testing". Then "Shutdown". Reboot the computer, press ESC key to access Boot menu and boot from the internal 128GB SSD.

I'll be offline after this.
Last edited by michael louwe on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlapinsnki4

Post by jlapinsnki4 »

Ok and thank you so much for the help!!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ jlapinsnki4, .......
jlapinsnki4 wrote:.
You are welcome.
....... Glad that your problem is solved.
I'm not well-versed on how to properly partition a dual-drives computer for a single-booting LM. Maybe, LM tech-geeks can offer help.

Keep in mind that ms-dos/MBR disks are limited to 4 Primary partitions and 2TB in size. So, the Home and Swap partitions may need to be a Logical or extended partitions, especially for dual-booting.

AFAIK, optimally, the Grub bootloader, / or Root and Home partitions should be on the 128GB SSD, with Root = about 115GB and Home = 10GB.
....... The seldom-accessed Swap partition(= 1.5X RAM size) should be on the 1TB HDD and the rest of the HDD can be partitioned as a Data partition(= mount point is data). This can also be done after installation of LM by using the GParted program to create the Data partition on the HDD. For LM to auto-detect the Data partition, you have to link it's UUID by editing the /etc/config file.
....... Your data should be saved/stored in the Data partition of the 1TB HDD and not in the Root or Home partitions, eg movies, music, photos, files, etc. Anyway, the Root partition should be at least 50GB to cater for the installation of programs, games and updates.
P S - How were you able to successfully boot the Live LM 18.3 USB.? You forgot to plug in the Live USB before pressing the ESC key.? You used the USB 2.0 port instead of the USB 3.0 port.? You changed a BIOS setting.?
jlapinsnki4

Post by jlapinsnki4 »

michael louwe wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:49 am @ jlapinsnki4, .......
You are welcome.
....... Glad that your problem is solved.
I'm not well-versed on how to properly partition a dual-drives computer for a single-booting LM. Maybe, LM tech-geeks can offer help.

Keep in mind that ms-dos/MBR disks are limited to 4 Primary partitions and 2TB in size. So, the Home and Swap partitions may need to be a Logical or extended partitions, especially for dual-booting.

AFAIK, optimally, the Grub bootloader, / or Root and Home partitions should be on the 128GB SSD, with Root = about 115GB and Home = 10GB.
....... The seldom-accessed Swap partition(= 1.5X RAM size) should be on the 1TB HDD and the rest of the HDD can be partitioned as a Data partition(= mount point is data). This can also be done after installation of LM by using the GParted program to create the Data partition on the HDD. For LM to auto-detect the Data partition, you have to link it's UUID by editing the /etc/config file.
....... Your data should be saved/stored in the Data partition of the 1TB HDD and not in the Root or Home partitions, eg movies, music, photos, files, etc. Anyway, the Root partition should be at least 50GB to cater for the installation of programs, games and updates.
P S - How were you able to successfully boot the Live LM 18.3 USB.? You forgot to plug in the Live USB before pressing the ESC key.? You used the USB 2.0 port instead of the USB 3.0 port.? You changed a BIOS setting.?
This is the first dual drive laptop I have used - and currently it's a single drive since I haven't been able to access the HDD! But I can solve that issue in time, at least I have a functioning machine!

As for your P.S. - I had the USB in the right port, the issue was I was selecting "Boot from UEFI" instead of booting from the "generic" USB. Once I chose the generic USB everything loaded!

Any suggestions on finding my "missing" HDD??

Again, thank you VERY much for your time and assistance yesterday!!
michael louwe

Re: <SOLVED> installation issues

Post by michael louwe »

@ jlapinsnki4, .......
Try accessing the 1TB HDD by double-clicking the Computer icon on the desktop(with the LM logo) and then double-clicking(= mounting) the 1TB HDD. Try to store your data on it this way, or you may need to use GParted to create a sizable partition on the HDD first. GParted can be installed through Software Manager. Or use the built-in GParted from the Live LM 18.3 USB.

Also, ... viewtopic.php?f=50&t=262575&p=1423845&h ... d#p1423845
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=262437&p=1419807&h ... d#p1419807
jlapinsnki4

Post by jlapinsnki4 »

Thanks! The drive is listed there but when I open it I get "unable to mount" message. Would this have happened because of how I did the original partitioning?
jlapinsnki4

Post by jlapinsnki4 »

here is what I get when I run fdisk -l

jlapinski4@jlapinski4-X510UAR ~ $ sudo fdisk -l
[sudo] password for jlapinski4:
Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xacdab612

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 2048 78125055 78123008 37.3G 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 78127102 1937899519 1859772418 886.8G 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 78127104 1937899519 1859772416 886.8G 83 Linux

Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Disk /dev/sdb: 119.2 GiB, 128035676160 bytes, 250069680 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xdafc9348

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sdb1 * 2048 233531391 233529344 111.4G 83 Linux
/dev/sdb2 233533438 250068991 16535554 7.9G 5 Extended
/dev/sdb5 233533440 250068991 16535552 7.9G 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Return to “Beginner Questions”