SOLVED: I hate the cartoonish new toolbar buttons in Libre Writer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

SOLVED: I hate the cartoonish new toolbar buttons in Libre Writer

Post by bad medicine »

ever since I upgraded to 6.0.2.1 the toolbars have a gaudy hideous cartoonish look to them, like something you'd find on a 3 year old's toy. Is there any way to revert to something more subdued and appropriate for adults?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkpad T410 Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I hate the cartoonish new toolbar buttons in Libre Writer

Post by Arch_Enemy »

bad medicine wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:17 am ever since I upgraded to 6.0.2.1 the toolbars have a gaudy hideous cartoonish look to them, like something you'd find on a 3 year old's toy. Is there any way to revert to something more subdued and appropriate for adults?
I guess they're trying to imitate MicroSoft Office.

Ugh.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

You could try other icon themes under Tools, Option, LibreOffice, View, Icon style. For me, there's Breeze, Breeze Dark, Galaxy, and Tango.

I guess there are ways to add other icon themes.
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

aes2011 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:28 am You could try other icon themes under Tools, Option, LibreOffice, View, Icon style. For me, there's Breeze, Breeze Dark, Galaxy, and Tango.

I guess there are ways to add other icon themes.

I also have "Human" and that's the one I wanted. Good name for it too, those others are for mutant colorblind alien babies.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:19 am I guess they're trying to imitate MicroSoft Office.
Clippy is back from the dead?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: SOLVED: I hate the cartoonish new toolbar buttons in Libre Writer

Post by AZgl1800 »

when the Ribbon toolbars showed up in Microsoft Office, I refused to ever use them.
My Win7 PC is still yet working "just fine" with MS Office 2003 and that is where it will stay forever.

Beyond typing, and adding in a few pictures, there is nothing else I need.
I can write up all the documents I need without Ribbon bars, in fact, if I cannot access the features that I use through Keyboard Macros, that document writer program will not ever see me use it.

I too, am going to change up the way the toolbar looks in LO 6.2.x as I hate the screen space it is using up. When you are on a laptop, and the top 2 inches of the screen are wasted in the toolbar, that is a crime IMO.

I change the fonts, and width of the toolbars, and remove the icons... they are not needed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

catweazel wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:31 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:19 am I guess they're trying to imitate MicroSoft Office.
Please---no!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

bad medicine wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:17 am ever since I upgraded to 6.0.2.1 the toolbars have a gaudy hideous cartoonish look to them, like something you'd find on a 3 year old's toy. Is there any way to revert to something more subdued and appropriate for adults?
I thought the same thing. I'll be changing the icon themes too! Thanks for starting this post.
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:49 am when the Ribbon toolbars showed up in Microsoft Office, I refused to ever use them.
My Win7 PC is still yet working "just fine" with MS Office 2003 and that is where it will stay forever.
I never use Windows anymore but when I had xp I used an addon that got rid of the ribbons and gave you the old look. Cant remember what it was now since I weaned myself off Windows 2 years ago but it should be easy to find if and when MS makes it impossible to use Office 03.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

bad medicine wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:41 amI also have "Human" and that's the one I wanted. Good name for it too, those others are for mutant colorblind alien babies.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

(I don't like the mutant baby cartoon icons either).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:49 am when the Ribbon toolbars showed up in Microsoft Office, I refused to ever use them.

Beyond typing, and adding in a few pictures, there is nothing else I need.
I can write up all the documents I need without Ribbon bars, in fact, if I cannot access the features that I use through Keyboard Macros, that document writer program will not ever see me use it.

I too, am going to change up the way the toolbar looks in LO 6.2.x as I hate the screen space it is using up. When you are on a laptop, and the top 2 inches of the screen are wasted in the toolbar, that is a crime IMO.

I change the fonts, and width of the toolbars, and remove the icons... they are not needed.

Hmm...I think we went to the same school together! :D

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

JerryF wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:19 am
Please---no!
It could be far worse.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

catweazel wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:55 am
catweazel wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:31 am Clippy is back from the dead?
Please---no!
It could be far worse.
I've forgotten about Bob (and his little dog too!) That sure takes me back---and not in a good way. :cry:
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

catweazel wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:55 am

Please---no!
It could be far worse.
LOL! BINGO!

Return to “Software & Applications”