BioStar GeForce 9500GT not detected by Mint or BIOS

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
primuspaul

BioStar GeForce 9500GT not detected by Mint or BIOS

Post by primuspaul »

I bought a Dell Optiplex 790 and plugged a GPU into it. Computer boots up fine and I can see the card (which has no external power plugs that I saw, just the PCI) fan is on, but neither the BIOS nor a Mint OS (running from a flash drive) can detect it. Could it be that the PSU is not powerful enough? I would think insufficient PSU power would just shut the computer down.

Appears it's only getting detected when in the black PCI slot, NOT the blue PCI slot. Anyone know the reason?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: BioStar GeForce 9500GT not detected by Mint or BIOS

Post by catweazel »

primuspaul wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:35 am I bought a Dell Optiplex 790 and plugged a GPU into it. Computer boots up fine and I can see the card (which has no external power plugs that I saw, just the PCI) fan is on, but neither the BIOS nor a Mint OS (running from a flash drive) can detect it. Could it be that the PSU is not powerful enough? I would think insufficient PSU power would just shut the computer down.
What slot have you got it plugged into? See this image:

What exactly do you mean when you say the BIOS doesn't detect it?

Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results in code markers, which you can select from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
primuspaul

Post by primuspaul »

If I plug it into the blue slot, all 4 PCI slots in BIOS show EMPTY. If I plug it into the black slot, I see it appear in the BIOS.

I tried the command earlier. It was only posting the integrated card info. What I'm concerned about is the fact that only the black slot shows up in BIOS. Nothing shows up when I plug it into the blue slot.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

primuspaul wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:17 am If I plug it into the blue slot, all 4 PCI slots in BIOS show EMPTY. If I plug it into the black slot, I see it appear in the BIOS.

I tried the command earlier. It was only posting the integrated card info. What I'm concerned about is the fact that only the black slot shows up in BIOS. Nothing shows up when I plug it into the blue slot.
<star trek voice on>
Something is dead, Jim!
<star trek voice off>

...Probably the first PCI slot has had it. The only way to check it is to try another video card that is known to be good.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
primuspaul

Post by primuspaul »

Can I just use the black PCIe slot and ignore the blue one?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”