Mint 18.3 XFCE hangs on boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 18.3 XFCE hangs on boot

Post by FreedomTruth »

Yes that thread looks promising. If the backlight fix doesn't do it, try the intel_idle.max_cstate=1 fix that is linked in there. It should be safe to try on mint too. Not like it's really going to hurt anything, right?
barnettgs

Post by barnettgs »

OK I have very limited experience with Linux, do I need to access to Grub on boot-up, I have tried sudo command but it doesn't work.
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

barnettgs wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:50 amI have tried sudo command but it doesn't work.
Please elaborate, how you did this.
The command sudo systemctl mask systemd-backlight@leds\:dell\:\:kbd_backlight.service would have to be issued in your running system, that is, after you install and reboot the first time. There is a way to load an installed system from the installation media, using the program chroot, in which case a reinstall might not be necessary.

Earlier you said...
barnettgs wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:19 am Ok I did a re-installation and installed the latest kernal. On boot menu, I see 4.10.0.38 and 4.10.0.36 but both failed to boot up.
The suggestion was to install the latest 4.4 series kernel (4.4.0-116), not the latest 4.10 series... Did you ever try that?
barnettgs

Post by barnettgs »

FreedomTruth wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm
barnettgs wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:50 amI have tried sudo command but it doesn't work.
Please elaborate, how you did this.
The command sudo systemctl mask systemd-backlight@leds\:dell\:\:kbd_backlight.service would have to be issued in your running system, that is, after you install and reboot the first time. There is a way to load an installed system from the installation media, using the program chroot, in which case a reinstall might not be necessary.

Earlier you said...
barnettgs wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:19 am Ok I did a re-installation and installed the latest kernal. On boot menu, I see 4.10.0.38 and 4.10.0.36 but both failed to boot up.
The suggestion was to install the latest 4.4 series kernel (4.4.0-116), not the latest 4.10 series... Did you ever try that?
Ah right, I tried the command via Shift+boot, then somehow I find the way to Grub command? It is probably not the same thing?

Ok, for 4.4, how do I obtain that? I did not see it in Update Manager.
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

barnettgs wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:14 pm Ok, for 4.4, how do I obtain that? I did not see it in Update Manager.
In Update Manager, click "View" then "Linux Kernels"
Screenshot_2018-03-09_13-10-10.png
Then choose 4.4 on the left side, and 4.4.0-116 on the right side, then click Install.
Screenshot_2018-03-09_13-07-20.png
Reboot, holding down shift to see the GRUB menu if necessary. Choose "Advanced options ..." from the menu.
Screenshot_03092018_132057PM.png
Then choose 4.4.0-116 from the list.
barnettgs

Post by barnettgs »

Thanks for your time.

Have just installed 4.4 and then booted to this kernal.....it still hangs... :?
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

barnettgs wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:42 am Have just installed 4.4 and then booted to this kernal.....it still hangs... :?
Bummer.

Let's try the backlight thing next....
On boot, hold shift key if necessary to show GRUB menu. Choose advanced options... Then choose (upstart) -- either kernel version.
Screenshot_03102010_134436.png
Does this (eventually) get you to a text login prompt, or does it still freeze?
If you do get to the prompt, log in, and enter the commands

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl mask systemd-backlight@leds\:dell\:\:kbd_backlight.service
sudo reboot now
It'll take a minute to reboot (at least, it does for me)... this time try booting normal again and see if that fixed it
barnettgs

Post by barnettgs »

FreedomTruth wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:56 pm
barnettgs wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:42 am Have just installed 4.4 and then booted to this kernal.....it still hangs... :?
Bummer.

Let's try the backlight thing next....
On boot, hold shift key if necessary to show GRUB menu. Choose advanced options... Then choose (upstart) -- either kernel version.
Screenshot_03102010_134436.png
Does this (eventually) get you to a text login prompt, or does it still freeze?
Still freeze.

Although I get ACPI Error (CAPB) Namespace lookup failure and Method parse/execution failed etc. Does that holds any clue?
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

barnettgs wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:33 pm Still freeze.

Although I get ACPI Error (CAPB) Namespace lookup failure and Method parse/execution failed etc. Does that holds any clue?
It froze on the "upstart" option? Or did that part work, and the normal boot still freezes?

You can try editing your grub line when you boot: (hold shift down if necessary to show grub menu)
Keep cursor where it is, Linux Mint 18.3 ... press 'e' to edit
Move down to the bottom, find the line that reads "linux /vmlinuz-4.....-generic root=....... ro quiet splash $vt_handoff"
at the end of the line, add these: acpi=off noapic then press F10 to attempt to continue booting
barnettgs

Post by barnettgs »

FreedomTruth wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:49 pm
barnettgs wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:33 pm Still freeze.

It froze on the "upstart" option? Or did that part work, and the normal boot still freezes?

You can try editing your grub line when you boot: (hold shift down if necessary to show grub menu)
Keep cursor where it is, Linux Mint 18.3 ... press 'e' to edit
Move down to the bottom, find the line that reads "linux /vmlinuz-4.....-generic root=....... ro quiet splash $vt_handoff"
at the end of the line, add these: acpi=off noapic then press F10 to attempt to continue booting
Yes, froze on upstart option as well as normal boot.

I have tried that as mentioned earlier in this thread and also tried acpi-off noapic this time again, still to no avail.
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

If you want to keep at it... try a reinstall and when you first boot into the new install, run the sudo systemctl mask systemd-backlight@leds\:dell\:\:kbd_backlight.service command (since apparently you can't boot into your current install to run it)...

Another thing to consider, have you tried (or do you even want to) mint version 17.3?
barnettgs

Post by barnettgs »

FreedomTruth wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:11 pm If you want to keep at it... try a reinstall and when you first boot into the new install, run the sudo systemctl mask systemd-backlight@leds\:dell\:\:kbd_backlight.service command (since apparently you can't boot into your current install to run it)...
I have just done that and I'm happy to say that it is now solved. Booted up fine every time now. Many thanks for your help and some patience! :D
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

barnettgs wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:20 pm I have just done that and I'm happy to say that it is now solved. Booted up fine every time now. Many thanks for your help and some patience! :D
What a relief! :D
RedHairedOne

Post by RedHairedOne »

Just wanted to post a thank you...this helped me as well.

Same deal...Dell Mini Netbook.

Install Mint. All good.
Power down, power up. All good.
Power down, power up. Hangs on splash screen.

I reinstalled the OS at least three times before finding this thread.

All fixed now!

Return to “Installation & Boot”