I am facing many issues after a fresh install of Mint Cinnamon 18.3 on my Asus N550LF, featuring Intel i7 4500 with integrated graphic card and dedicated nVidia GeForce 745M. 8Gb RAM / 256GB SSD. I would have expected quite good performance, my hardware is not that new but it's still rock solid on Windows 10. This is what I did:
1) fresh install of Mint 18.3, no dual boot + reboot
2) complete update of the system (even kernel updates) + reboot
3) installation of recommended (latest) proprietary nVidia driver + reboot
4) some testing to understand the performance of both integrated and nVidia graphic cards
Unfortunately, both of them performs poorly.
1) integrated Intel graphic card has some serious tearing issues when scrolling down web pages, I can clearly see text rows overlapping horizontally for a while. This is not at all what I expect, even from an integrated card. Actually, I have not installed the microcode Intel driver, should I do this?
2) nVidia graphic card is not that better. Moving and resizing windows clearly highlight some graphical glitches
Moreover, I think that fan is almost always on, even though is not running at his maximum speed, it is running even while performing very easy tasks (almost nothing, to be honest)
All these signals let me think I am facing some big issues with my graphic cards. I tried to disable hardware acceleration from Firefox and I also tried Chromium, but nothing changed. I honestly thought that I could be a decent hardware to use linux for internet browsing, movies and programming, but now I am start thinking I was wrong. Any suggestions?
This is the terminal output when I am running Intel Graphic card (fan always on)
Code: Select all
sudo lshw -C video [sudo] password for matteo: *-display description: VGA compatible controller product: Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller vendor: Intel Corporation physical id: 2 bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0 version: 09 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom configuration: driver=i915 latency=0 resources: irq:43 memory:f7400000-f77fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff