[Help] Taskbar & menu not loading (also missing window borders!)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sojiro84
Level 1
Level 1

[Help] Taskbar & menu not loading (also missing window borders!)

Post by Sojiro84 »

Bad picture of issue:

So, it was all working fine, got Adapta theme installed and Numix Square. Did not remove or deleted any theme files. It was working all great. I decided to restart my laptop. Linux loaded the login screen perfectly.

I enter my credentials and my taskbar or start menu does not load. I can launch apps that I have attached to my Docky bar below but, as you can see in the screenshot, the border of the window is not there. I cant close or minimize or move the window. Also, my mouse was DMZ-Black but that is now white themed as well.

Does anyone know what is going on?

I am running Mint 18.3 Cinnamon x64.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [Help] Taskbar & menu not loading (also missing window borders!)

Post by Cosmo. »

What happens if you revert to the default themes?
Sojiro84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sojiro84 »

Cosmo. wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:11 am What happens if you revert to the default themes?
I have yet to try that. I just found with Google how to launch the settings app, so when I get home I am trying to see if I can get the theme manager loaded so I can go back to the default theme.

Curious though, would a theme that is borked, prevent the taskbar from loading? Now that I type this I guess it might since the taskbar and menu's are skinned off-course.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You are right. All what get skinned by a theme can get borked by a theme. The panel belongs to it.
Sojiro84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sojiro84 »

Well, changing the theme did not work. Also tried restarting the desktop and off course a reboot.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Create a fresh new user account for checking.
Sojiro84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sojiro84 »

Cosmo. wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:00 pm Create a fresh new user account for checking.
I logged in with the guest account and that one is working fine. I did do a graphics upgrade driver wise but that had no luck.

I also tried logging in in software rendering but that also didn't work.

I read on the internet something about xserver-error or something. Where is that located? Maybe I can find some error messages there that tells me what is going wrong.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If the guest account works we know, that the culprit is in your main account, not in the system. Poking there around will not help but gives the chance, to make things worse.

For a first check we need to find out, if there are ownership problem. Log into the main account.
Mark the following command and press ctrl-c

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
open a terminal and press ctrl-shift-V
Mark the complete result inclusive the command with the mouse and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-v.

Report in case, that there is no output.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

A theme shouldn't be able to cause that issue. It looks like Cinnamon and muffin aren't running. You can always check the contents of ~/.xsession-errors to see if anything stands out.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Sojiro84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sojiro84 »

JosephM wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:10 am A theme shouldn't be able to cause that issue. It looks like Cinnamon and muffin aren't running. You can always check the contents of ~/.xsession-errors to see if anything stands out.
I havent yet checked xsessions errors but I did manage to launch the settings through the terminal, and then I tried enabling the menu applet. In the terminal the following error showed up:

The short version of it is: the name org.cinnamon was not provided by any .service files

So somehow it seems something got unregistered or something?
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

No. That shouldn't have anything to do with the problem you are seeing. Cinnamon isn't running. You can try running

cinnamon --replace
in the terminal to see if Cinnamon starts or what errors that shows.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Sojiro84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sojiro84 »

JosephM wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:37 am No. That shouldn't have anything to do with the problem you are seeing. Cinnamon isn't running. You can try running

cinnamon --replace
in the terminal to see if Cinnamon starts or what errors that shows.
I have yet to reboot my laptop, but that fixed it! I can see my menu and taskbar again!

Such a simple command to fix this problem. Never thought that would work.

Thanks a ton!
Sojiro84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sojiro84 »

I was a bit too quick to jump the gun. When I close the terminal everything is gone again. Do I reboot to have it stick or?
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

That would lead me to believe that something is not properly starting when you boot into cinnamon or something is causing it to crash. Please check .xsession-errors if you haven't.
Sojiro84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sojiro84 »

There are many errors concerning "caribou".

** (cinnamon-session:1702): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-RzT8CXBci9: Verbinding is geweigerd

** (csd-clipboard:1850): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-RzT8CXBci9: Verbinding is geweigerd

** (csd-automount:1857): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-RzT8CXBci9: Verbinding is geweigerd

** (csd-xrandr:1852): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-RzT8CXBci9: Verbinding is geweigerd

** (csd-print-notifications:1853): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-RzT8CXBci9: Verbinding is geweigerd

** (csd-media-keys:1859): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-RzT8CXBci9: Verbinding is geweigerd

** (csd-wacom:1862): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-RzT8CXBci9: Verbinding is geweigerd

** (csd-sound:1867): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-RzT8CXBci9: Verbinding is geweigerd
Activating service name='org.a11y.atspi.Registry'
Successfully activated service 'org.a11y.atspi.Registry'
[cinnamon-settings-daemon-smartcard] Failed to start: er is geen geschikt smartcard-stuurprogramma gevonden
[cinnamon-settings-daemon-smartcard] Failed to start: er is geen geschikt smartcard-stuurprogramma gevonden

** (caribou:2038): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Error in GetItems, sender=org.freedesktop.DBus, error=The name :1.19 was not provided by any .service files

** (caribou:2038): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Error in GetItems, sender=org.freedesktop.DBus, error=The name :1.20 was not provided by any .service files

** (caribou:2038): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Error in GetItems, sender=org.freedesktop.DBus, error=The name :1.22 was not provided by any .service files
[2545:2545:0311/103333.291778:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(375)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[2399:2572:0311/103333.353345:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(626)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.Notifications.GetCapabilities: object_path= /org/freedesktop/Notifications: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files
mintUpdate: geen proces gevonden

** (caribou:2038): WARNING **: daemon.vala:120: error in focus handler: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.Caribou.Keyboard was not provided by any .service files

** (caribou:2038): WARNING **: daemon.vala:120: error in focus handler: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.Caribou.Keyboard was not provided by any .service files

** (caribou:2038): WARNING **: Unable to open bus connection: Failed to connect to socket /root/.cache/at-spi2-socket-3807: Toegang geweigerd
Cairo.Surface is leaking, programmer is missing a call to Dispose
Set MONO_CAIRO_DEBUG_DISPOSE to track allocation traces

** (caribou:2038): WARNING **: Unable to open bus connection: Failed to connect to socket /root/.cache/at-spi2-socket-4067: Toegang geweigerd

(caribou:2038): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(caribou:2038): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (caribou:2038): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Error in GetItems, sender=org.freedesktop.DBus, error=The name :1.33 was not provided by any .service files

Nemo-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: mkdir failed on directory /var/run/samba/msg.lock: Toegang geweigerd
net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error Bestand of map bestaat niet
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

** (caribou:2038): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Error in GetItems, sender=org.freedesktop.DBus, error=The name :1.37 was not provided by any .service files

Nemo-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: mkdir failed on directory /var/run/samba/msg.lock: Toegang geweigerd
net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error Bestand of map bestaat niet
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

Sojiro84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sojiro84 »

I did reinstall all cinnamin- packages there where on my system. It even had to download a few megs. Going to try and see if I can reboot.
Sojiro84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sojiro84 »

Reboot worked but still the same issue. Atleast I can do the command to get a more working laptop but still strange that something at boot is messing things up, but what?
Sojiro84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sojiro84 »

Alright, since I also recently installed Mint on my desktop PC, and with the cinnamon replace command giving me a somewhat working Mint, I decided to compare settings with my desktop PC.

I noticed that Cinnamon Settings Deamon - xrandr, wasn't there at startup apps, so I manually copied over the settings from my desktop pc.

I just checked to writ the name of it down here and I now saw the Cinnamon Settings Deamon 2 times now in the list...

Anyway, any expert managed to look at the log? I really like this to be fixed.

I also just noticed the software manager doesn't start. Synaptics does work luckily.
Sojiro84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sojiro84 »

Well, software manager works thanks the the command:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install gtkorphan
Found at: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/482

Still, no permanent solution yet to my issue.

Gotta love how easy it is with Linux to break a desktop.
Penn

Post by Penn »

Sojiro84 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:26 pm I logged in with the guest account and that one is working fine.
If a guest account works without issues but your main user account doesn't that is typically an issue in the user home folder. That would be why Cosmo asked for the results of

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f

That should not return results if all permissions in the home folder are correct. If you do get results post them. If not, you probably have a settings issue somewhere in your home folder.

Return to “Cinnamon”