In praise of Linux Mint

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

In praise of Linux Mint

Post by Mazda81 »

I have an old Epson flat bed scanner (Perfection 1250) that I haven't used for a few years. I decided to try to get it working with Windows Vista. I spent ages downloading drivers and installing software but I could not get it to work.
After giving up on Windows I thought "I wonder if it would work with Linux Mint". I booted up Linux Mint with the scanner connected and inserted a photograph and opened Simple Scan. I selected photo and pressed scan and, to my amazement, the scanner came to life and scanned the photo! I was most impressed.
All I have to do now is to try to get my Minolta slide & negative scanner working with Linux.

Just thought I'd share my positive experience with the community. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sir Charles

Re: In praise of Linux Mint

Post by Sir Charles »

It is always great when things work to one's satisfaction. So it is to hear about it as well.
Thanks for sharing!
:D
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Epson Perfection 1250 works!

Post by pdc_2 »

so SANE says complete support for that device ....... using the sane-plustek backend http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a great need for a flat bed scanner these days but it's nice to know that it works if I need it.
Someone on here suggested using xsane for scanning so I will probably take a look at that.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

Yep, this is one of those classic situations that I have run into as well -- where useful technology has been abandoned in the Windows world, but for which Linux continues to have easy support! :)
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

Return to “Hardware Support”