Ebay hacked ? I think so

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Ebay hacked ? I think so

Post by rickNS »

Although you won't see any admission of that by Ebay, I do think (am quite positive) they do have a problem.

Few days ago I was on Ebay, and all of a sudden music started playing, strange I thought as in 15-20 years I NEVER seen this happen. Then today I was on Ebay, and I was re-directed to another website, without warning, without any "clicking" and that has NEVER happened before. Of course there is no official report from Ebay, they of course don't want to scare or loose any customers / business. I wonder if any other Linux users have noticed any strange behavior while on Ebay site ?

Re-direction is classic of being hacked. Why are they not forthright about it ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Mattyboy

Re: Ebay hacked ? I think so

Post by Mattyboy »

rickNS wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Re-direction is classic of being hacked.
Its unlikely that E.bay has been hacked ( but not impossible ). A more likely scenario here is that you've picked up a a browser re-direct nasty, this is a 'classic'.

Do you practice good browser security by installing blockers ( ublock origin, no script for example )?

You'll probably find the issue disappears if you delete your browser configuration files ( this will delete settings and passwords, so back up what you can ). Installing the mentioned extensions will help prevent malicious re-directs from attacking your browsers.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/sandbox You may also wish to look at sandboxing apps that connect to the 'net ( browsers, email clients, torrent programs etc ).
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Ebay hacked ? I think so

Post by rickNS »

Mattyboy wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:26 pm Its unlikely that E.bay has been hacked ( but not impossible ). A more likely scenario here is that you've picked up a a browser re-direct nasty, this is a 'classic'.
Thanks Matty for reply, I agree it is "unlikely", but there does seem to be evidence of it happening before, and they did not admit it then either.

Just so you know I am NOT argueing (sp that) as you may also be right, as I have no plug-ins installed. I have changed some configs. The thing is been using Ebay about 15 years, and Linux for 10 have NEVER EVER been re-directed before, from ANY site, except for Ebay, and just lately ? It just seems to point a finger. AS you say "might have picked up a re-direct" well if you picked it up from ebay ...

I don't know, only asking as never happened before.
Last edited by Moem on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200

Return to “Other topics”