(solved) MS Office - best way to run this windows suite in Linux Mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: [MS Office] best way to run this windows suite in Linux Mint?

Post by AZgl1800 »

bulevardi wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:46 pm The thing is that I'm not so familiar with VirtualBox/Machines.

Is there a Windows version included when installing this Virtualbox?
Because that's just the reason why I'm using Linux now: because my official Windows version doesn't want to reïnstall anymore.
I just ran into that sort of:
I entered the code for my licensed copy of Windows and it refused to accept it as a valid version... words to that effect.

I just clicked on SKIP and the install went right on through... this was installing it on VM / Win7
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

bulevardi wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:14 pm My goal is to make the whole transition from Win to Linux, so I won't need a VM or whatsoever in the future.
Meaning that I'll try to rewrite all my VBA macro's (years of work) to get them to work in LibreOffice or something like that.
Also for my other hobbies I'm looking for solutions, for photography, recording audio, midi... and I want it to work in Linux.

I uninstallled LibreOffice after much frustration with being able to create and define my own macros.
If I can't use my own macro from a Kybd shortcut, then that version of Office emulation ain't for crap.

this is what I am using now, after having loaded and trying all of the alternatives out there.

FreeOffice 2016.png

I would like to just install MS Office 2003 into my VM / Win7 setup, but right now, my laptop is way short on memory. I have ordered up a new 8 gB ram stick to solve that problem.

I have been a Windows user and IT tech since DOS 3.0 and that is before Windows was born.

I am switching over to Linux now because of my frustration with Win10, I just won't use it.

I am getting better at it, learning to like how much we can modify Mint 18.3 Sylvia to our needs.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
bulevardi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bulevardi »

thx-1138 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:54 pm Even more, you are in day 1, and already asking for ...
That's called efficiency. I'm not going to wait until day 100 to ask my question if I can ask at day 1 ;)

Apart from that, it was day one on thát particular machine, where windows was still running until then and switched to Linux in a hurry because that pc needed to be up and running again as quick as possible.

However, I'm running Linux systems already for around 4 years now on another machine (I'm still a n00b, though...). Have been into Ubuntu Studio, Mint, Guitarinux, Sabayon already before to test Linux for other purposes. I found some old threads on other linux forums I started about that once:
https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13021
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2253413

Anyway, I like stable software, and not troubleshooting and workaround all the time... thát's what frustrating me all the time.
thx-1138 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:54 pm This is NOT a Microsoft Office support forum. Contact them, ask how to activate it, and what the legal requirements / restrictions for such are.
I know, but activating the license within Windows always worked perfect. Now that it is running via Wine/POL, it gives an error that it doesn't make a connection, maybe due to the reason that it's not running in that environment. Maybe wine blocks the connection or something.
Wine is the only parameter that is changed so it seemed logic to ask the question here. I asked it on the POL forums too, but without success, yet.
phd21 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:10 pm There are a lot of posts regarding this in this forum already. There are superb applications for photography, recording audio and music (midi), etc...
Yes, for photo editing I'm already using Gimp for over 5 years. Last couple of weeks I'm testing RAWTherapee for converting RAW files, which is currently giving excellent results. (I previously used ACDSee Pro on Windows)
Learning Inkscape too now. All these things motivate me to go further with Linux.

However, as for audio, couple of years ago I've tested most linux software available for that. None of them 100% suited my needs. LMMS did very nice for midi. But for audio I always had some problems with Jack settings. At some point I got easy recording in audacity to work, but Ardour or other programs weren't doing anything.
For some easy stuff, I had to do lots of workarounds. So after months experimenting, I went back on Windows again and found my favourite DAW: 'Reaper'.
And let it be exactly Reaper DAW that also would run via POL (I read), will test it as soon as I have more time. I want to continue with Reaper, and a good software guitar amp (Vandal) that maybe will work via POL too... At least I could give it a try :)
A VM would take up too much RAM on that old machine, and I don't want latency for audio recording.
Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

scrognoid wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:51 pm I've been using Crossover to run Office 2010 for years
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtop ... ne#p837731
I'm having to upgrade my Office license, and 365 and 2016 seem to be the only buy-able options. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Crossover tech support claimed that their latest version 17.1 ran well with 365 and 2016 (apparently they are the same software with different licenses, subscription vs pay once.)

Crossover allows me to seamlessly swap and edit Office documents from Linux. My only issue was that occasionally right-click options didn't work, but I could always find the same option in a toolbar.
this method will work - - or just using Play On Linux - - would be the better solution, to use.
- since your version of Microsoft Office is from 2010, then try Crossover out?

but, since your wife is prepared to Pay to Use her version of Microsoft Office,,
then maybe she then could consider supporting any method of getting Microsoft Office to work under Linux :!:
- by paying a little towards that support :?:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
bulevardi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bulevardi »

bulevardi wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:59 am However, as for audio, couple of years ago I've tested most linux software available for that. None of them 100% suited my needs. LMMS did very nice for midi. But for audio I always had some problems with Jack settings. At some point I got easy recording in audacity to work, but Ardour or other programs weren't doing anything.
For some easy stuff, I had to do lots of workarounds. So after months experimenting, I went back on Windows again and found my favourite DAW: 'Reaper'.
And let it be exactly Reaper DAW that also would run via POL (I read), will test it as soon as I have more time. I want to continue with Reaper, and a good software guitar amp (Vandal) that maybe will work via POL too... At least I could give it a try :)
A VM would take up too much RAM on that old machine, and I don't want latency for audio recording.

Just to let you know I tried to install the VirtualBox with win7 as mentioned in that tutorial.

The reason for this, is that I tried to install Reaper and Vandal with POL, but it didn't work:
- some VST's gave transparent presets, so not workable;
- Vandal could install but not run;
- no possibility to get the input/output right for audio/midi setup; (same problem as with all other DAW's in Linux.)

So for this reason, I tried this VirtualBox... installed perfectly... tried to Install Windows, crashed. Pc hangs every time.
I did a google for it and I read that there are tons of problems installing Windows this with a VirtualBox.
And as I read before in this thread "it takes only a few minutes..." spent half a day with this.

Thanks anyway.
Will look for other solutions for audio recording later.
As for MS Office, the only solution I have is POL, works perfect until now (without activation).
Get In Touch^^
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

bulevardi wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:39 pm It's the 2010 version. And as from a youtube video I've seen, it should be piece of cake to install it with POL.
I wouldn't bet too much money on that.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

bulevardi wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:57 am ...
I'm wondering, if the 30 days are over, and I deïnstall it and reïnstall it again, would it work again with a new 30 day trial?
Possibly, but do you really want to keep doing that every month?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

bulevardi wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:46 pm The thing is that I'm not so familiar with VirtualBox/Machines.
A virtual machine is like having a computer within a computer. When you create a virtual machine, it will have virtual disk drives, USB ports, etc. just like a physical computer.
Once it's set up, it's like running a computer within your computer. You can then install and run Windows and any programs that you install within Windows.
bulevardi wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:46 pm ...Is there a Windows version included when installing this Virtualbox?
You have to provide your own version of Windows to install on the virtual machine.
bulevardi wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:46 pm ...Because that's just the reason why I'm using Linux now: because my official Windows version doesn't want to reïnstall anymore.
The reason it may not reinstall anymore is that if you have an OEM version of Windows, reinstalling too many times can deactivate your Product Key.
Also, if it's an OEM version that you had been using and now what to use that in your virtual machine, you won't be able to do it. An OEM version is tied up intricately to the original machine that it was installed on. During the reinstallation of an OEM version, information is sent to MS to see if that Product Key is being used on the original machine. If not, reinstallation gets rejected.

I had this problem. I solved it by buying a retail version (not OEM) of Windows and installing it in a virtual machine.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

bulevardi wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:14 pm ...My goal is to make the whole transition from Win to Linux, so I won't need a VM or whatsoever in the future.
That's a wonderful goal.
bulevardi wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:14 pm ...Meaning that I'll try to rewrite all my VBA macro's (years of work) to get them to work in LibreOffice or something like that.
If you've got the time, then that's great. Please note that many of us who are Linux Mint users do, from time to time, use Windows---either in a dual boot situation or in virtual machines. There's nothing wrong with doing that.

I use Windows in a virtual machine because I need TurboTax every year. I can't rely on Wine/Play on Linux to run it. Remember: Wine is a hack (and often unreliable) to get Windows programs running in Linux.
bulevardi wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:14 pm ...
If I'm going to use a VM each time, to get all my stuff to work, why should I use Linux then to continuously switch to a VM to run Windows software?
You don't have to use the VM to get all your stuff to work. There are alternatives to email, photo editors, etc.
bulevardi wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:14 pm ...
When using a VM, it won't motivate me to look for solutions to get it to work in Linux, as it works in the VM.
Not necessarily. I did the dual boot for a while with Windows and Linux. After having to switch back and forth from the two OSes, it gave me the motivation to learn programs in Linux.
bulevardi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bulevardi »

We're about one month later now... the trial period of my office suite was almost done.
So I deïnstalled it via PlayOnLinux.
I reïnstalled it via PlayOnLinux.
Now it works again for 30 days.
w00t

Problem solved. This took me just 15 minutes to remove/install.

Just wanted to let you know.
Get In Touch^^
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I have one machine that tells me that this version is not activated, has been like that for several months and it still works. I, too, am relatively new to Linux and have been playing with Libreoffice which, so far seems to behave quite well. I am in the process of resurrecting an old excel file with numerous macros, and buttons along with hundreds of lines of VBA code. It has only caused me grief once, so far, in that it locked up solid - requiring the "three fingered salute". I have yet to determine it it was Libre office or Mint at fault as I also have another machine that randomly freezes on me and I have yet to run any orifice suites on it.

What is so critical about running M$Orifice? Unless she is into programming it in VBA big time, there is not much difference. FWIW I have written thousands of lines of VBA code for Word, Excel and Access. So far I have yet to be convinced that Base is anywhere near that program. I'm about to delve into a SQL variant to replace the M$ product.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

So, I've got a copy of M$ Office 2003 & Office 2013 in a Cx Bottle,
all backed up, in case either one fails, for some reason.

yet, I've still prefer to use Libre Office & have upgraded to V6, just recently.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

bulevardi wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:43 am Problem solved.
Well, that's cool. Since you've found a solution that works for you, please edit the title of the first post by adding [SOLVED] so others can find it easier. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
bulevardi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bulevardi »

lsemmens wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:30 am What is so critical about running M$Orifice? Unless she is into programming it in VBA big time, there is not much difference. FWIW I have written thousands of lines of VBA code for Word, Excel and Access. So far I have yet to be convinced that Base is anywhere near that program. I'm about to delve into a SQL variant to replace the M$ product.
Totally understand that.
My wife, not specific, she can do all she has to do in LibreOffice as far as I know. The reason why she needs MS is because she's a woman ;)

On the other hand, I have a few excel sheets with lots of macros in. That's very handy for me. I haven't found a solution to turn these into LibreOffice working ... but they are not necessary or life threatening if I loose them.
Get In Touch^^
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

bulevardi wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:58 am The reason why she needs MS is because she's a woman ;)
Really? Please explain to me, another woman, how that works.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: (solved) MS Office - best way to run this windows suite in Linux Mint?

Post by lsemmens »

I think, moen, You'd be best explaining that to us! :D

I have two friends, one female, and one male and neither will entertain anything other than M$ products. The female is almost rabid if I suggest anything other than M$.

I have transitioned to Linux and open office exclusively in only the last few weeks. So far I have found that Open Office can be a little unresponsive at times, I have several music documents one runs to nearly 600 pages and a couple are over 100 and all have given me the "has it locked up?" concerns today, I also have a quite complex spreadsheet that is highly automated which has locked up on me. So, the jury, for me, has just gone out on Open Office. A few days ago, I would have said that OO is as good, but the shine is beginning to dull.
Fully mint Household
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:58 am I think, moen, You'd be best explaining that to us! :D
You want me to explain something I do not experience. That's going to be tough... I suggest you do the honours since the statement came from you.
I use Libre Office, so does my mother, and so does another woman I know who uses Mint. In fact, all the women that I know who use Linux do fine with LibreOffice. Might the evidence suggest that your statement is less than accurate?

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:58 am I have transitioned to Linux and open office exclusively in only the last few weeks. So far I have found that Open Office can be a little unresponsive at times, I have several music documents one runs to nearly 600 pages and a couple are over 100 and all have given me the "has it locked up?" concerns today, I also have a quite complex spreadsheet that is highly automated which has locked up on me. So, the jury, for me, has just gone out on Open Office. A few days ago, I would have said that OO is as good, but the shine is beginning to dull.
so, I've found something similar to that, some years back,
& when copying things off the 'net, just wouldn't work, too well.

but, it may have been hardware, though, as they were a lower spec machine,
& the issue has gone away since I've moved to later models, with better hardware.
- the thing is that Linux Systems are not as efficient as those highly customized Windows Systems are.
so therefore, you may need some better hardware to process those larger documents.
:o
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

@Moen - 'twas not I who made the initial comment - I was just making an off the cuff remark that a woman would be better explaining woman logic than a man, it was not meant as anything serious, just a little Levity to brighten the day. If I have caused offence then I humbly apologise.

@pierre - These documents have been around my place and in development for over 20 years that 500 page one has been over 10 years since it achieved its final form. Even that spreadsheet is nearly 10 years old, Hardware may be this issue, granted, but it certainly has not been an issue under Windows which is notorious for requiring the latest and greatest to chunder along. Linux prides itself on keeping older stuff going IYKWIM.
Fully mint Household
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:47 pm @Moen - 'twas not I who made the initial comment
Oh, good point. Well, then I guess I'll never understand! :wink:

Return to “Software & Applications”