AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, any chance of installing Mint on that ?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marlenejo

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, any chance of installing Mint on that ?

Post by marlenejo »

I am planning to buy one of those great chip with a new motherboard. What are my chance of being able to install Mint 18.3 on this ? I know that I probably need to switch immediately to the most recent kernel, which is probably not offer by Mint, but will Mint even let me install itself and what about the new built-in graphic driver ? Anybody has tried it ? It doesn't seem to have any Linux drivers on AMD site, not even for WIndows 7.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, any chance of installing Mint on that ?

Post by ClixTrix »

Pretty good chance, but you might need the 4.16 Kernel under development to get full support. It's just started RC cycle, so probably looking at 6-8 weeks until 4.16 is stable release.

https://www.kernel.org/

Bench reports and problems are just starting to appear.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ge-Tuesday

Your best chance might be to wait until mid-year and the release of Mint 19 that will base on Kernel 4.15. If you want to try sooner, you might need to install Kernels with the Ukuu utility (see my sig) to get Ubuntu Mainline kernels (outside Mint's Update).

My Ryzen 1600 is very solid using the 4.14 Kernel. But, Vega support started with Kernel 4.15 and it might take some time to get 100% stable.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

marlenejo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:00 pm Anybody has tried it ? It doesn't seem to have any Linux drivers on AMD site, not even for WIndows 7.
Mint 18.3 installs fine on Ryzen gear. You will need to go to at least kernel 4.11 to get proper support.

As for drivers, all drivers, except printer drivers, are built into the kernel in linux so you don't normally need to download anything. You may however strike a problem with video drivers as that APU is completely brand new. I don't know if the proprietary AMD driver will work.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Beingh vega based the open source should work. For closed source, the AMD GPU PRO should/will work. I may take the next driver release for this new chip to accept the closed source driver. Have patience they will get there.

Me personally, I am waiting to see if they do a 4 core 8 thread version with vega graphics.
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

Citizen229 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:07 pm ...
Me personally, I am waiting to see if they do a 4 core 8 thread version with vega graphics.
That's the Ryzen 5 2400G.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Need to pass you a tip from my checking at Gigabyte Forum. Apparently, the motherboard BIOS on the original Ryzen boards might required update to support the new series, or they won't post. Saw that on my board (see sig). In my case an F10 BIOS is needed. It might take awhile for boards to ship with newer BIOS and current stock to sell-off. Hopefully, new boards will come with something like "Ryzen 2 Ready" on packaging and help this problem.

AMD does have a support plan that entails ship and return of a loaner processor, so you can flash a BIOS update. That wouldn't be my first choice.

A local retailer, like a MicroCenter, might help with flash update.
Algo80

Post by Algo80 »

Well i'm going to find out ;)

... as Fedora 27 fails to boot Kernel 4.15.4 on my new Ryzen 2400G build i'm searching for a new distribution. As This build should be a Linux machine (had none for a long time).
Any tips how to get Kernel 4.15 or even better 4.16, MESA 18 and the needed firmware?

As Phoronix states it:
Using the Vega graphics on the Ryzen 3 2200G or Ryzen 5 2400G will require a fairly updated Linux graphics stack, which won't be found out-of-the-box on most Linux distributions at this time:

- The Linux 4.15 kernel is an absolute minimum requirement if using the open-source driver stack due to needing AMDGPU DC for Raven Ridge, which was only mainlined for this newly-released kernel. Linux 4.15 is a must but with Linux 4.16 are a number of Raven Ridge fixes. Linux 4.16 will be released as stable in April if you are not comfortable using kernel Git snapshots. I'll have comparison tests of both kernels and DRM-Next as time allows.

- Linux-Firmware.Git from around December or newer for having the necessary Raven Ridge files. Ubuntu releases, for example, don't yet have these needed firmware binary blobs, so you may need to clone that Git repository and update your /lib/firmware as without these microcode files you will not have working driver support.

- Mesa 18.0 or newer is definitely recommended for best feature support and performance. You may have luck using later Mesa 17.x releases, but RadeonSI and RADV have both received a lot of feature work and optimizations for Vega in recent months that using Mesa 18.0 is worthwhile if not Mesa 18.1-dev Git.

- The Mesa build should be at least against the LLVM 5.0 AMDGPU back-end but ideally LLVM 6.0 or 7.0 SVN for the best Vega support.
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

The timing of this chip release is terrible for Linux, to be fair not even for manufacturers, which were caught with their pants down since a lot of AM4 motherboards on sale have not been update to handle it. Lot of returns forecast so I suspect they are scrambling to update the ones on the market. The latest ones are fine though.

A lot of poor guys who bought it (that's an impressive chip for sure at that price point) to run Linux can't find any official distro which work with the chip at this stage and will have to wait. Only Windows 10 can handle it officially right now.

P.S Not related to Mint but I have been following identical threads on Manjaro and apparently if you are desperate to run it, there is a test Gnome ISO based on kernel 4.16 (unreleased) which seems to work with that chip. Mind you, it is only for testing and not sure if it is fully usable but It could help having something running until full support in available in most distros.

https://cloud.fabi.sh/index.php/s/9fxfFynd49dKHSg
The 416RC version (confirmed bootable USB creation using imagewriter)
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

I got it to work, and so far, it seems to be stable, but only time will tell.

Installed Mint, ignoring all the fallback mode messages, installed the 4.15.0-041500-generic x86_64 kernel and then used Driver Manager to install the microcode.

Here is the output from inxi:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: AB350M-D3H-1 Kernel: 4.15.0-041500-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 7.2.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Gigabyte product: AB350M-D3H v: Default string
           Mobo: Gigabyte model: AB350M-D3H-CF v: x.x
           Bios: American Megatrends v: F10 date: 12/01/2017
CPU:       Quad core AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 27948
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 1601 MHz 2: 1515 MHz 3: 1499 MHz
           4: 1521 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 15dd bus-ID: 08:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon,amdgpu)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.0-041500-generic, LLVM 5.0.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 15e3
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 08:00.6
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 15de
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 08:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-041500-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: f000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: 1c:1b:0d:ee:dd:e8
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 8260 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 07:00.0
           IF: wlp7s0 state: up mac: bc:a8:a6:73:2c:3d
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 100.3GB (23.2% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Maxtor_6L100M0 size: 100.3GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 76G used: 6.6G (10%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: /boot size: 473M used: 133M (30%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 16.86GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 30.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 228 Uptime: 25 min Memory: 1340.4/15800.0MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

Good for you. If I may suggest the following to improve the chip support ;

- your BIOS is quite "old" and you should update it to the latest F22b if I got your MB right. There was some improvement done on Raven Ridge.
- your kernel is 4.15.0. You can bring it up to the latest official 4.15.7 with the ukuu utility. Even 4.16 if you are brave enough. You can always boot back in the older one.
- your mesa libraries are a bit old.(17.2.8 - standard Mint I guess) you could bring it up to the latest 17.3.3. (Manjaro is up to 17.3.6). This may be a bit risky I think so make an image backup to be safe.

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... -04-17-10/

Let us know how it goes. It still has some issue from what I am following but it will improve further.

P.S Like I suggest elsewhere, to be easier, you can always install MInt using any old discrete card while disabling the on-board video (the tricky part). Do not install any proprietary graphic driver. Then when all your updates are finish, return to the on-board graphic.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

I installed Mint with the onboard video, in my case, I booted from a flash drive, and got the fallback notification, ignored it, and did the installation. Booted from the hard drive, fallback notification again, installed the new kernel, which improved the resolution, but still got the fallback notification, did all of the updates, then installed the microcode using Driver Manager, and the fallback notification went away. There are a few errors that show up when the computer is booting, but they don't seem to have any effect after Mint boots. Haven't had a chance to try it with any high resolution games, I'm really not much of a gamer, but so far, I'm happy. I will try those updates you mentioned when I get the chance.

EDIT: I updated the BIOS to F22B, and now the board won't boot, it says "No bootable device found" although it does see the hard drive. I'm going to see if I can go back to the older version.
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

timmn1 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:36 am EDIT: I updated the BIOS to F22B, and now the board won't boot, it says "No bootable device found" although it does see the hard drive. I'm going to see if I can go back to the older version.
Ouch ! If the BIOS installation was successful, there is rarely any reason to go back to an older one. Verify your boot order and the boot mode ; UEFI, ASM mode, combined, legacy (MBR) etc .. Try to return to the mode you install it the first time.There is no reason it refuse to boot.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

marlenejo wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:28 pm Ouch ! If the BIOS installation was successful, there is rarely any reason to go back to an older one. Verify your boot order and the boot mode ; UEFI, ASM mode, combined, legacy (MBR) etc .. Try to return to the mode you install it the first time.There is no reason it refuse to boot.
Ouch! is right, I tried every mode I could think of, no boot, according to the little information I could get, it couldn't find the boot partition, so I thought, I installed it once, and had it working, I can do it again, no such luck. It boots, but the HDMI sound doesn't work, and I keep getting the fallback notice, so I guess I'll have to start the fight all over again.

EDIT: The fallback notice is the box that says "Running in software rendering mode"
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Use proper language please!
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

Well If we had follow your wise relative advise, we'll still be riding horses buggies instead of cars :lol: . The fact is that Mint 18.3 with its older kernel and graphic libraries is not equip to handle that chip.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

marlenejo wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 pm Well If we had follow your wise relative advise, we'll still be riding horses buggies instead of cars :lol: . The fact is that Mint 18.3 with its older kernel and graphic libraries is not equip to handle that chip.
Maybe so, but I had it running rather well until I upgraded the BIOS, and it's my fault, the upgrade program gave me the option of backing up the old BIOS, which I should have done, but didn't, and to make matters worse, I mistakenly thought that since I had it up and running once before that it would be a breeze to get it going again, which is turning out not to be the case. However, tomorrow is another day, and with a good nights sleep I can tackle it again with a clear head. Who knows? Maybe I can get lucky twice.

EDIT: I have another computer that has a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 motherboard, since it doesn't have much personal data on it, I thought I'd update the BIOS on it just to see what happens, it updated just fine, and booted from the hard drive.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

I just got it working again, at this point, I'm not sure how long it will work, but for now...

The problem is that I had to jump through so many hoops to get to this point (again) that it may not even be worth it. Hopefully when Mint 19 comes out, it will have "out of the box" support for the Ryzen 3 2200G and the other chips like it.
However, if you are absolutely determined to try it, I will help you as much as I can. Also, you must not hold me responsible if you sanity is tested to the breaking point.

Here is the output fron inxi:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: AB350M-D3H Kernel: 4.15.9-041509-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 7.2.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Gigabyte product: AB350M-D3H v: Default string
           Mobo: Gigabyte model: AB350M-D3H-CF v: x.x Bios: American Megatrends v: F20 date: 02/06/2018
CPU:       Quad core AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 27947
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 1423 MHz 2: 1551 MHz 3: 1637 MHz 4: 1558 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 15dd bus-ID: 07:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon,amdgpu)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.9-041509-generic, LLVM 5.0.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 15e3 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 07:00.6
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 15de driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 07:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.9-041509-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: f000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 8260 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: wlp6s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (2.6% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000DX002 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 902G used: 9.7G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: /boot size: 473M used: 324M (73%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 16.05GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 27.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 225 Uptime: 22 min Memory: 1111.5/15044.2MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 

timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

It didn't last for long, it was working just long enough to almost convince me I had done it, I turned it off to go to lunch, came back, and it won't boot, just get a black screen. Something must have changed, but I have no idea what.
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

timm1, just a suggestion, while not denigrating Mint which I use extensively for it's great stability, I think that Manjaro will be a better choice for that chip at this time until 19. Mint is more cautious and use older software. Manjaro is more up to date in kernel and libraries (do all the updates) They are also trying to get that AMD series going. You can follow their progress in the forum (general discussion). They have a working system but with some instabilities.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

Here is something crazy, I had Ubuntu Budgie working well until my hard drive decided to die. I replaced the hard drive and decided to give mint one more try. I got it up and working, and it worked well for three days until I came back from lunch the other day. Giving up, I tried installing Budgie again, I couldn't, the display was all screwed up, the screen was split in half, and was almost unreadable. I turned the computer off, took the Budgie install USB stick out, and turned it on again, Mint booted and has been working well ever since. I'm going to see how long it lasts this time.

Could the video hardware been left in some state that even being left powered off, although the power supply was left plugged in, would stop Mint from booting? If that might be the case, could trying to install Budgie have reset it somehow?

Questions, questions, and no answers, and no idea even where to look to find them. The real crazy thing is I do this for enjoyment!
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

From some of your description, I'm wondering if the system recovered/reloaded BIOS from backup. What BIOS is showing in the inxi -Fxz command?

I know the F22b "beta" BIOS has problems, but F20 "should" be good. Did you remember to Load Optimized Defaults - Save - Exit in BIOS setup on the first boot after Flash was complete? Yes, that's actually required as part of the Q-Flash process.

Return to “Hardware Support”