Need the "degree symbol" is now [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Need the "degree symbol" is now [Solved]

Post by AZgl1800 »

4.13.0-26-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

I type in the weather temperature a 1,000 times a day it seems on the forums....

and it just irritates me that I have to use the asterisk to represent 74*F

I want that little tiny superscript 'o' to be available to me.
I have tried to use the Keyboard Shortcuts, but there is no provision for keyboard mapping.

Reading this link https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard just seems to refer to using the proper "keyboard" for your own country. That is not what I want to do.

I want to press ALT-o and have it print the superscript 'o' symbol.

This link alludes to installing a KMFL keyboard on Debian systems
http://linux.lsdev.sil.org/wiki/index.p ... _on_Ubuntu

I tried Software Manager and got this, but I don't speak Burmese and I don't know how to compile code.
KMFL.png

and then I looked at Synaptic and saw this

Synaptic KMFL.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Need the "degree symbol"

Post by slipstick »

I know of two ways to do that:
1. hold down ctrl and shift keys together and type u, then release the ctrl and shift keys and type 00b0, then hit the space bar
2. use the character map from the accessories menu - select the Latin-1 supplement and use the top symbol in the third column from the right
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

slipstick wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:28 pm I know of two ways to do that:
1. hold down ctrl and shift keys together and type u, then release the ctrl and shift keys and type 00b0, then hit the space bar
2. use the character map from the accessories menu - select the Latin-1 supplement and use the top symbol in the third column from the right
74° F from your first method works.

#2 I will study later and see which is easier for me to "remember".

uh, #2 method works, but a bit of a tangled mess :D , I will just remember the special keystrokes like I did in Windows. ALT-key 0174 worked there
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The degree symbol is on AltGr-Shift-0-0 in the "English (US, international with dead keys)", "English (US, alternative international)" and "English (international AltGr dead keys)" keyboard layouts; AltGr = Right-Alt if you don't have a specific AltGr key and 0-0 = zero-zero. The plain "English (US)" layout doesn't have it by virtue of being, well, plain. I expect the other English locales will provide similar choices of layouts, if applicable.

In Cinnamon you can find this out through Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layouts, select your current layout or add a new one, and pick the layout symbol below the list.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

rene wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:05 pm The degree symbol is on AltGr-Shift-0-0 in the "English (US, international with dead keys)", "English (US, alternative international)" and "English (international AltGr dead keys)" keyboard layouts; AltGr = Right-Alt if you don't have a specific AltGr key and 0-0 = zero-zero. The plain "English (US)" layout doesn't have it by virtue of being, well, plain. I expect the other English locales will provide similar choices of layouts, if applicable.

In Cinnamon you can find this out through Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layouts, select your current layout or add a new one, and pick the layout symbol below the list.
AltGr-Shift-0-0 does not produce any output for me.

I would love to be able to just remap ALT-o to produce the ° symbol for me.

Yes, I am using Cinnamon, should have pasted this up earlier.

4.13.0-26-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi AZgl1500

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

How to Quickly Type Special Characters in Linux - Make Tech Easier
https://www.maketecheasier.com/quickly- ... ers-linux/

There are also applications in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" like "KCharSelect" which can be used to quickly locate and enter various characters and symbols.

℉ ℃ °

Hope this helps ...
kCharSelect1.jpg
kCharSelect2.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Compose Key might be another option. If you enable this in your keyboard settings, you'd hit the key you selected, then oo for °

Here's the compose key sequences: https://web.archive.org/web/20140412090 ... eKeys.html
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 pm AltGr-Shift-0-0 does not produce any output for me.
This is as indicated dependent on the keyboard layout you use; assuming that you are using a standard US-layout keyboard hardware-wise, not having AltGr-Shift-0-0 produce anything for you likely means you are software-wise using its most plain layout, the "English (US)" one. Verify in Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layouts. As far as I am aware the "English (international AltGr dead keys)" layout is a proper superset of "English (US)" and could as such be considered a preferred choice for most any US user. If you add it in Keyboard -> Preferences -> Layouts (the +-button below the list) and look at it (the picture button) you'll note to from that point on have a lot of additional freedom of expression...

When I just now checked the layout in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us I by the way noticed the AltGr-Shift-0-0 version to be named "dead-abovering" with an explicit "degree" available from AltGr-Shift-: (AltGr-Shift-Colon). The "dead" part of that name explains the 0-0, and you should then in fact just use AltGr-Shift-Colon: 20°C = 68°F.

Putting it on Alt-o is not fully trivial (you'd manually edit the above mentioned layout file) and not something I'd advise. Alt-o is undoubtedly used natively by many programs and it moreover really pays to keep things (as) standard (as possible) with respect to keyboard layouts lest you constantly find yourself handicapped when not on your own system(s). So, advise, install "English (international AltGr dead keys)", select it (the flag symbol in the system tray) or even uninstall the previous plain "English (US)" variant so as to not have to do the latter. Print out a screenshot of the layout viewed as described above, and have some fun inputting special symbols.

[EDIT] By the way, Alt-o is a not good choice for a degree symbol in a different manner as well: it's historically not a superscript-oh but a superscript-zero...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MrEen wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:34 pm Compose Key might be another option. If you enable this in your keyboard settings, you'd hit the key you selected, then oo for °

Here's the compose key sequences: https://web.archive.org/web/20140412090 ... eKeys.html
I like this idea.
The right ALT key on my kybd is useless, so that will become my "Compose key"
the SuperKey or "Windows Menu Key" is too valuable to me to sacrifice for that purpose.
It already functions just like a typical Windows7 menu key and ALT-E brings up Nemo file manager.

and others that mapped for similar functions.

Thank you for this idea. Will be working to make this one happen.
I have memorized the º symbol and the ° symbol, so those two are good to go.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I think the URL is well outdated. I found a text file named Compose at /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/ that is possibly what you'll need to follow, but I don't understand it.

I also erred in previous post. It should've said type "hit the key you selected, then the = key then ...". And the file on my system shows this:
<dead_abovering> <space> : "°" degree # DEGREE SIGN
<dead_abovering> <dead_abovering> : "°" degree # DEGREE SIGN

So at this point, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm hoping I didn't steer you into something that might not work.

I also can't follow rene's advice. I tried adding a new layout, but don't seem to have any of those extra options, just English(somecountry) but will continue to monitor this thread as I'm also interested in what's been said so far.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Damn, I'm getting myself all confused. I set the menu key as my Compose Key. Hitting menu o o gives me °. Hitting menu = o o gives me an accented o (ő) after the first o.

Well, it's a start!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

MrEen wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:29 am I also can't follow rene's advice. I tried adding a new layout, but don't seem to have any of those extra options, just English(somecountry) [ ... ]
That's quite unexpected. Cinnamon? If I open Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layouts and hit the +-button, I have a list of layouts extending from "Afghani" to "Yoruba" and certainly including "English (international AltGr dead keys)" (and "English (classic Dvorak)", and ... ). It's also a favourite layout among programmers; have never heard of it being unavailable before. Quite sure you didn't mischeck?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

rene wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:53 am
MrEen wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:29 am I also can't follow rene's advice. I tried adding a new layout, but don't seem to have any of those extra options, just English(somecountry) [ ... ]
That's quite unexpected. Cinnamon? If I open Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layouts and hit the +-button, I have a list of layouts extending from "Afghani" to "Yoruba" and certainly including "English (international AltGr dead keys)" (and "English (classic Dvorak)", and ... ). It's also a favourite layout among programmers; have never heard of it being unavailable before. Quite sure you didn't mischeck?
Xfce here. Instead of a + button, I have "Add" and have 6 choices with English, all followed by a specific country only.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I see. Will have to pardon myself then. Desktop/edition differences such as this turning most every simple support attempt into a confused, inconclusive jumble (Linux-wide, not just in Mint) have been getting on my nerves lately. These layouts are X11 layouts and would seem to as such not in fact be different among desktops, and the only way I can now find out what the issue is for you is by installing an XFCE edition -- which I, also given that it's very late here, will in this case forego. OP was using Cinnamon so should hopefully be able to use the steps provided, if so desired.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

No problem. I think I'm happy with the Compose idea anyway. Thanks!
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 pmI would love to be able to just remap ALT-o to produce the ° symbol for me.
You can do this with AutoKey. I created an AutoKey phrase to generate the degree symbol (°), and I assigned it a hotkey of Alt+o and a keyboard shortcut of *o.

AutoKey is a desktop automation utility that lets you assign abbreviations and hotkeys to scripts and phrases. It is equivalent to the Windows AutoHotKey keyboard macro utility.

It can be installed from Software Manager - the version you want is AutoKey-gtk. The version in the repos dates back to 2012, and it is the current* version. It still works.

I found it very easy to learn to use, which is fortunate because the documentation is non-existent. The Help menu documentation points to dead links. There is a tutorial for an even earlier version here, but the instructions are still somewhat valid and applicable.

There also is an active forum here.

*The project has been forked and revived, and the project appears to be in active development. https://github.com/autokey/autokey
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:22 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 pmI would love to be able to just remap ALT-o to produce the ° symbol for me.
You can do this with AutoKey. I created an AutoKey phrase to generate the degree symbol (°), and I assigned it a hotkey of Alt+o and a keyboard shortcut of *o.

AutoKey is a desktop automation utility that lets you assign abbreviations and hotkeys to scripts and phrases. It is equivalent to the Windows AutoHotKey keyboard macro utility.

It can be installed from Software Manager - the version you want is AutoKey-gtk. The version in the repos dates back to 2012, and it is the current* version. It still works.

I found it very easy to learn to use, which is fortunate because the documentation is non-existent. The Help menu documentation points to dead links. There is a tutorial for an even earlier version here, but the instructions are still somewhat valid and applicable.

There also is an active forum here.

*The project has been forked and revived, and the project appears to be in active development. https://github.com/autokey/autokey
Installed AutoKey, but I am lost.

Would you mind showing how you created that AutoKey phrase to generate the degree symbol (°), and assigned it a hotkey of Alt+o and a keyboard shortcut of *o.

Would a Screenshot show what you did?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Quite easy to use >Accessories >Character Map ... (Latin/Noto Sans) = 98ºF ... (Latin/Symbol) = 98ᵒF
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:00 pm many thanks, [solved]
Once you consider this to be solved, please mark it as such in the title of the first post in the topic. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

√☺ = ±Ω°

I just copy/paste from a character chart.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Beginner Questions”