is it necassery to download all updates?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheDesigner

is it necassery to download all updates?

Post by TheDesigner »

Hello L.M.F members.

i don't wanna full my laptop with things i don't really use or need, and i noticed that linux mint have many updates, with everyday, so my question is do i really need to update it all?

Thank you for your efforts.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: is it necassery to download all updates?

Post by JoeFootball »

TheDesigner wrote:... do i really need to update it all?
Security updates are important to install, and they're indicated by an exclamation point icon. Version updates are not as important to install, they're indicated by a down-arrow icon.

Joe
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

What gets offered as update, is installed in your system. Or the other way round: Only what is installed, gets updated. If you use it or not is not really the point, because you use many software components without noticing it at all.

Is it necessary to update all? If the update closes a security leak: surely. If not, than possibly, but this cannot be answered in general.

I recommend to use TimeShift to create snapshots of your system, which allow you to easily revert the system to a previous state in case of a problem (maybe by an update or by an user mistake). If TimeShift is already installed depends from your unknown system.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ TheDesigner, .......
TheDesigner wrote:,
Please refer to ... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first

You should run Timeshift and manually create a snapshot before installing any update.

You should have at least one backup Linux kernel installed before installing any updates.

Try to avoid installing Level 4 and Level 5 updates unless necessary.

Return to “Beginner Questions”