vpn [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kaylux

vpn [SOLVED]

Post by kaylux »

After searching in the software manager for a vpn I discovered that "openvpn" was already installed. Does that mean it is automatically working or do I have to configure it? I couldn't find the software in the application list.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: vpn

Post by phd21 »

Hi kaylux,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

There are various ways to connect to a VPN provider's servers, and using the "openVPN" UDP software protocols is the safest. And as you already noticed, all Linux Mint editions and versions usually have the "openVPN" software installed.

You first need to decide on a VPN provider and there are system-wide, paid for, VPN providers and free VPN providers. The paid for system-wide VPN providers are the best option IMHO, like the superb low-cost "Private Internet Access (PIA)" and "ProtonVPN", etc... A couple good free VPN providers are "vpnbook" and 'vpngate", and "ProtonVPN" has a free VPN option that you have to request and wait for. "vpngate with proxy" is an excellent application for using "vpngate" VPN servers.

There are also browser VPN extensions and add-ons that are free and or paid for as well, like "Hoxx" and "DotVPN" etc..., but these only protect your browser and what you are doing in the browser, no applications accessing the Internet outside of the browser are protected.

There are also vpn proxy websites you can go to, then browse from their website.

With system-wide VPN providers, you can use the Network Manager (NM) in your system tray panel to import VPN and use their openVPN server configuration file (somewhere.ovpn) to use those. Some of these have their own installation programs as well like PIA, but you can also use the NM.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
kaylux

Post by kaylux »

Code: Select all

keith@keith-X551CAP ~ $ inxi -Fxzd
System:    Host: keith-X551CAP Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: X551CAP v: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X551CAP v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: X551CAP.209 date: 01/23/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Celeron 1007U (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 5986
           clock speeds: max: 1500 MHz 1: 799 MHz 2: 799 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-21-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.2
           IF: enp3s0f2 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (31.1% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54323 size: 320.1GB
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E1
           rev: 1.00 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
           Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Partition: ID-1: / size: 289G used: 89G (33%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.18GB used: 0.05GB (1%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2200
Info:      Processes: 175 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 1434.3/3838.0MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 

Code: Select all

keith@keith-X551CAP ~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b404 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
keith@keith-X551CAP ~ $ 
Thanks for helping. Those are interesting commands!
Last edited by Moem on Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding code tags [</>]. They retain some formatting that makes your output easier to read.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi kaylux (Kay or Keith?),

You are welcome...

Okay, I do not see anything wrong with the results of the "inxi -Fxzd" console terminal command, so that is a good thing.

Now, who have you decided on for a VPN provider?
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
kaylux

Post by kaylux »

Hi phd21
openvpn seems to be installed by default. Since it's free and open source I'm inclined to go for that one. I used to use purevpn when I had W10 on this machine but I think my subscription has run out.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

OpenVPN is an application, it's not a service. You still need to add the settings for the VPN provider that you want to use. The company that distributes it has a VPN service called Private Tunnel, which is not free (reliable VPN service is generally not free). Another option is PIA (Private Internet Access), who is a sponsor of Linux Mint. But there are many more options.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
buffest_overflow

Post by buffest_overflow »

I have used PIA, Nordvpn, Airvpn, and others. I do not feel PIA vets all of their servers very well (they have tons), and the interface is somewhat lacking. I know they sponsor Mint, so I'm happy for that.

Everyone will have an opinion on this, but I have chosen Airvpn because of the network lock feature, which is really really nice if you are an internet security novice. They are also a nonprofit, have well maintained software and varieties of installation options, they vet their servers carefully, are very dedicated to net neutrality and privacy, and very communicative. They have been pretty critical about bugs and issues in the past about Network Manager, and provide support for things like this that other VPNs wouldn't because they're too busy trying to be the biggest. PIA got into some hot water a while ago for reasons I won't go into, but they are the horseshoe standard of VPNs I guess.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi kaylux,

As Moem just stated, openVPN is a free open source software application that allows users to connect to openVPN VPN servers that have been setup and maintained and are available from various VPN Providers who provide a VPN service that can be free or paid for. AFAIK the openVPN software is still the most secure method of connecting to a VPN provider's service and their servers. People and businesses can also setup their own OpenVPN server(s).

I.) There are many "Paid For" system-wide VPN providers and they have various options which you should read and ask about. Some are unlimited and can be used on all devices and computers you have, others are limited to the number of devices connecting at the same time.

- OpenVPN developed and maintain the superb OpenVPN software. They also provide a VPN service that you would have to pay for $35 per year or $6 per month, which is pretty reasonable.

- The excellent PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN provider is a sponsor of Linux Mint which means when you pay for their service, you are also helping out Linux Mint. Linux Mint and PIA have worked together to provide an installation and access application for PIA and their servers, although you can also use your Network Manager to import and use their vpn servers. They cost $39.95 year or $3.33 per month, less for 2 years, also very reasonable pricing.

Private Internet Access - Anonymous VPN Service Provider
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

- ProtonVPN $4 per month or $48 per year (located in a neutral country Switzerland)
ProtonVPN: Secure and Free VPN service for protecting your privacy
https://protonvpn.com/

II.) There are not that many Free system-wide VPN providers and most have restrictions and limitations. They tend to be slower than paid for VPN providers, usually have no support service and do not provide as many server locations. Most will not allow you to use torrent software or download torrents or use P2P, others have time restrictions and can only be used for so many hours per day or month, others have usage limits and only allow so many gigabytes of use per day or month, etc...

I have done a lot of research into these free system-wide VPN providers, and the best of these VPN providers to my knowledge, are:

"vpnbook" - unlimited usage, pretty fast, but no torrent or p2p allowed, only have a few server locations worldwide. I have used these servers many times. They also change their login password every week or two, so you have to visit their website for the new password and update that in your vpnbook network connection(s) in your Network Manager (easy to do).
vpnbook - Free VPN Accounts • 100% Free PPTP and OpenVPN Service
https://www.vpnbook.com/freevpn

"ProtonVPN" has an excellent free VPN option, but you have to request it and then wait for your invitation. Unlimited usage, it is fast, only a few server locations for the free account, limited to one computer (device) connection at a time, no torrent or p2p allowed, etc... I am connected to a free ProtonVPN server in the USA right now.
Create a new account - ProtonVPN
https://account.protonvpn.com/signup?pl ... rrency=EUR

"vpngate" - these are free VPN servers from all over the world that have been setup and maintained by generous people, schools, and or businesses. AFAIK they have no limitations, you can use them for torrents and or P2P activities. They can be fast, but most are not as fast as paid for VPN providers; you have to try them. The available servers change all the time (daily or more) (some server locations seem to be available longer), so you can be connected to a server somewhere and suddenly it becomes unavailable requiring you to change to another vpngate server (not hard to do). There may not be available servers in whatever country you want to connect with, but there are always servers in the USA, Japan, and some other places. Because of the VPN server availability issues, using an application like the excellent "vpngate with proxy" makes using vpngate servers simple, rather than frequently downloading specific vpngate openVPN server location configuration files (somewhere.ovpn) and importing them into your Network Manager.

VPN Gate - Public Free VPN Cloud by Univ of Tsukuba, Japan
http://www.vpngate.net/en/

Easily Use Free VPNs From VPN Gate In Linux With These 2 Tools ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog
http://www.webupd8.org/2017/02/easily-u ... m-vpn.html

How to Establish An OpenVPN Connection in Ubuntu
https://timwolverson.wordpress.com/2016 ... inux-mint/

How to Establish An OpenVPN Connection in Ubuntu 14.04 (Linux Mint 17.x)
- note in Linux Mint 18.x, the certificate and key files are automatically generated, yeah!
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... untu-1404/

Hope this helps ...
kaylux

Post by kaylux »

Looks like PrivateInternetAccess is the one to go for - especially since it supports Mint. I've just had a look at the site and it looks as if the installation is straight forward - that's if Mint and Ubuntu share the same process. Would there be any advantage to using openVPN?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi kaylux,

PIA is the VPN service provider and they already use the openVPN software to connect to their VPN servers.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Hi kaylux,

The first thing I noticed is your kernel is way out of date (4.4.0-21) 4.4.0-116 is the latest version - this is not good - stay with the 4.4 kernel series but update to the latest version. With all the Intel Meltdown/Spectra stuff going on it is important that you keep the kernel security updates current.

As far as VPNs are concerned PIA seems popular with Mint users. Opinions on VPN providers are like many body parts - everyone seems to have one. I tried several free (no -good IMHO) and paid (most were so so, even ones raved about by others as good so I won't mention them by name). I have been using PrivateTunnel and have been very pleased. I would also recommend setting up dnscrypt to prevent "DNS leak" and DNS spoofing. dnscrypt can also can be found in the repositories.
kaylux

Post by kaylux »

Thanks for the advice majpooper. The update system on Mint is numbered as you know. Updating the linux kernel was numbered 4 (could cause problems) so I was reluctant to do it.
In fact I've gone ahead with the update and experienced no problems.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

NordVPN can be had for $2-3 a month; they have thousands of servers now, including some onion-routers, a couple of Tor-specific servers and Double VPNs (2 countries in series)
Pretty damn good, and they're in Panama.
Their support is superb.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

kaylux wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:25 pm Thanks for the advice majpooper. The update system on Mint is numbered as you know. Updating the linux kernel was numbered 4 (could cause problems) so I was reluctant to do it.
In fact I've gone ahead with the update and experienced no problems.
I understand your reluctance and for most it is prudent however when it comes to security updates I would encourage applying 4 level kernel updates. Remember if the kernel update breaks something you can always go back to the previous kernel.

Return to “Beginner Questions”