Flickering tooltips in Panels

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fiddlesticks

Flickering tooltips in Panels

Post by fiddlesticks »

Hi all,
I've recently upgraded to Mint 18.3 (Mate 1.18.0) and notice that the tooltips on the panel icons appear differently from before. Instead of a "blip" when the finished tooltip rectangle suddenly appears, now I get more of a "bollop" where the rectangle appears first, and then it draws what it's supposed to inside the rectangle. On a slow PC you can very briefly see inside the rectangle a copy of the top left of the screen. For my user that's a copy of the left-hand end of the top panel, with the "LM" icon, then "Applications", "Places", "System" - a copy of this flashes up very quickly where the tooltip rectangle is going to go before it has chance to draw the actual tooltip contents.
I know this is a tiny issue, and everything is working fine, it just looks jarring when it flickers one thing and then the other. I don't mind if it has to be slow, but I don't like this double-flash.
It's also visible running from a live USB image, so I don't think it's the fault of my user's configuration - also a new user has this. So I guess that means there's no way to configure it away? Maybe it's only a visible problem if the PC is a bit slow?

I love the improvements to xed, I really appreciate the thought and work that's gone into there recently. I noticed that it doesn't close though when a document needs to be saved - it asks if the file should be saved *before closing*, but then saves it and doesn't close. Apart from that minor niggle, it's really slick to use and hopefully still improving!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Flickering tooltips in Panels

Post by JosephM »

love the improvements to xed, I really appreciate the thought and work that's gone into there recently. I noticed that it doesn't close though when a document needs to be saved - it asks if the file should be saved *before closing*, but then saves it and doesn't close. Apart from that minor niggle, it's really slick to use and hopefully still improving!
This will be fixed in Mint19. It's already fixed in our master branch but it isn't backportable to Mint18.x
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “MATE”