Mint brainstorm/ Better way to make suggestions

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Joejc

Mint brainstorm/ Better way to make suggestions

Post by Joejc »

I think Mint should have a brainstorm site like the ubuntu has.

heres a link: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

and heres is a link to (i think) the source: https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-qa-w ... site/trunk
Last edited by Joejc on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joejc

Re: Mint brainstorm

Post by Joejc »

I think brainstorm would work better than a forum because you can have people vote and comment. It also tells you how many people are for/against an idea and you know when devs are working on an idea and possibly when its going to be implemented. A forum post gets lost because there are so many different categories and many post in those categories it took a few days for anyone to even comment on this idea, with brainstorm you can vote that you like it or don't like it.
ArcherSeven

Post by ArcherSeven »

I would like to see a similar idea integrated into the forum, if it'd be possible... I think it'd work well if it were place so that the people of the community could easily access and track it, and it would be good for collecting opinions.
Joejc

Post by Joejc »

I think thats a good idea. Brainstorm or not we need a better way for people to make suggestions a plain forum isn't enough.
Joejc

Re: Mint brainstorm/ Better way to make suggestions

Post by Joejc »

i found what ubuntu used to make ubntu brainstorm and wanted to post a link so if someone decides they want to mintify it they can.

http://www.ideatorrent.org/
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Joejc wrote:I think brainstorm would work better than a forum because you can have people vote and comment. It also tells you how many people are for/against an idea and you know when devs are working on an idea and possibly when its going to be implemented. A forum post gets lost because there are so many different categories and many post in those categories it took a few days for anyone to even comment on this idea, with brainstorm you can vote that you like it or don't like it.
Technically you can do that with a forum as well. If you pinned the topic, it'd be up towards the top without getting buried below a bunch of other posts. Voting is available via the forums as well. Updates to the topic can be done by posting a reply.

Although the thought is good, I just don't see it coming to fruition any time soon.
mikesol

Post by mikesol »

Yes the brainstorm, would be great. The resources would be focus in the more popular projects .

I completely agree
Treefrog

Post by Treefrog »

mikesol wrote:Yes the brainstorm, would be great. The resources would be focus in the more popular projects .

I completely agree
I can see this is something that has been looked at a little already. However here is another take on it, and it leads nicely from the previous post.

Money.
Donations, contributions or out and out paying for development.
Stay with me here. I know this is a very odd topic in a world of free and open source material. However money has its place in this world.

Projects, teams and even individuals would be very grateful of some monitory appreciation, however small. Also money is a good way of judging peoples interest in a development or implementation. From a developers point of view it would make the, perhaps otherwise mundane, interests of other users a little more appetising.

As a very simple modification to the brainstormer concept there could be a drop down with "If this was built or implemented I would be happy to donate ( $1, $3, $5, $10,....$100,... ) to the development team or project."
Optionally email addresses could be collected and when the Suggestion/Request is ready then the developers could send out a simple email to the potential donators. It might say "Your requested application/feature is now implemented. If after trying it out you still feel like making your suggested donation then please go to ....... etc.)

After that there could be a "put you money where you mouth is" pre development contribution option. Of course that get serious in terms of a website as you have to deal with the moneys (its the right word when dealing with numerous individual transactions)
On top of that, in the event that the request was not implemented in a time frame (eg 12 moths) or to a very simple drop down speck level (ie. GUI interface and not terminal only. Or for Gnome specifically) then there may have to be a way for the donation to default to a secondary or already running project or even a refund.

The "Put your money where your mouth is" part is not an easy thing to set up, but once up and running such a thing could run its self to a large extent.

The first would not be so difficult to get going and might shine a little light in some dark corners too.

Some ideas I would consider donating for
You can extrapolate from my simple list below. It only takes a buzzing community like Linux Mint and you end up with some useful cash flow.

1)I would gladly donate $5 or $10 to the development of a stable, more feature rich power management tool for Gnome (Gloriea) running on my laptop. Hard Disk sleep time, Screen brightness and such. I dont want KDE but I want to get the most out of my battery.

2)The Screen brightness adjustment (from the Keyboard) increments in very small amounts and holding the button down wont make it move at all let alone go faster. Thats another $1 or $2 form me.

3) My laptop hard drive makes a noise thats probably not good when I move it.. !! I guess there is no movement detection implemented to park the hard drive head. Implementing that would extend the life of the drive quite a bit. Another $5 to $10 form me.

I'm getting picky here as I think Mint is really very cool and refreshing. :D
Its my 2 cents anyway.

I wonder if I'm going to get flamed to death now ! lol
mikesol

Post by mikesol »

And why do not use launchpad? I discovered the benefits of this page few days ago and I think that will be perfect for mint

Cheers
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

because launchpad requires you to register for yet another site, and it doesn't have a dedicated feature suggestion tool like brainstorm, I think it's much friendlier to both suggest new features and to report bugs on the forums rather than launchpad.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I think Mint should give a MAP on this site as to where information is located ref:Mint or mint products

web site design, really what it's about..
Admittedly, you can find the data if you look around at news, tutorials, etc..
--but it is not a picture immediately showing you where the data/information is; now maybe since it is a forum it shouldn't be there
http://www.fedora-commons.org/sitemap
--sometimes called a site map. but it doesn't have to be that elaborate; only a few links/information targets need to be shown

However, it could be in the main page of http://www.linuxmint.com
Could be under Links or MAP TAB or even a separate category Where to find it or simpler Go, with a text hover indicating what Go represents..; I would even suggest a Mint icon Go button, as something that might be be advertorial in nature..
mikesol

Post by mikesol »

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”