Windows based apps: Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
starcheese

Windows based apps: Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop?

Post by starcheese »

Hi!

Is there a way to use windows based applications to linux mint?
such as adobe photoshop and lightroom?
If so how? what pre-requisites are needed?

Thanks! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Windows based apps: Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop?

Post by Moem »

No, but maybe.
Windows applications cannot run directly on Linux-based OSses. But some of them can run on Wine which is a compatability layer. I suggest you start your research here, and search for the applications and versions you want to use: https://appdb.winehq.org/index.php
Be warned: Wine is finicky, and never guaranteed to work. If it works, you're lucky.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

The only way is to install Windows as dual boot or virtualbox. Via Wine those programs are garbage.
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=5839
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... pplication
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

I never had any luck running PS under Wine, but it did run perfectly fine in VirtualBox running Windows.

That eventually stopped working without explanation, so now I dualboot if I ever want Photoshop (and Eve Online)
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
starcheese

Post by starcheese »

Is there any alternatives for adobe lightroom and adobe photoshop? :D :D :D

Thank you for your replies I feel so welcomed :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Oh, there are so many! May I suggest for your further research: https://alternativeto.net/
I keep saying 'research' because it's important to do research if you want to learn. There's really no better way to learn new stuff.

Also try the forum search. And if that doesn't give you good results, try your favourite search engine and enter 'site:forums.linuxmint.com' as well as your terms of interest.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pheeble
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pheeble »

I routinely use Darktable (https://www.darktable.org/) for photographic processing. I also use Darktable for tethered shooting using my Nikon DSLR. Darktable is free and open source. It is a very powerful program: raw image processing, lens corrections, presets for various cameras, etc.

For other graphics work, I generally use Gimp, but I have to admit it is not as full-featured as Photoshop. Gimp lacks many things I have found useful in Photoshop, such as adjustment layers. Gimp is, however, free and open source.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi starcheese,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

+ for comments by "Moem", "Oh, there are so many!"

There are also many posts in this forum on this topic.

<SOLVED> How can i install Photoshop on Linux Mint - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=259047&hilit=lightroom

Adobe lightroom install on Linux Mint? + Linux alternatives - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=201219&hilit=lightroom

site:forums.linuxmint.com lightroom photoshop - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... QePfw9z7e0

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

I haven't seen many say they've had success with PS etc. Many like the Photoshop-type features in Krita though. I use it for painting only, and that's it's central focus, but you can also animate, use text, do all kinds of things. It's great; very stable and now gpu-accelerated also. The new Krita 4 is released tomorrow, including improved text features, better vectors, multi-cores used, etc ... you can download the latest nightly appimage right now though, if you want to take a peek to see if it would cover what you wish to do: https://binary-factory.kde.org/job/Krit ... age_Build/. User manual: https://docs.krita.org/Category:User_Manual :-)
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Have a look at the results from Google for rawtherapee vs lightzone vs darktable. All three are regarded by some as capable alternatives to Lightroom. I use Photoshop CS2 ( I used Playonlinux to install it) every day under Wine on Linux....
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

starcheese wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:37 am Is there any alternatives for adobe lightroom and adobe photoshop? :D :D :D

Thank you for your replies I feel so welcomed :D
Adobe Lightroom is a powerful manager for RAW stills, and Photoshop an even more powerful image file processor. Most Linux users would say for Photoshop, the nearest equivalent is GIMP (with a plugin for RAW, e.g. UFRAW). There would be more debate / preferences regarding RAW still image management and editing. Many Windows users got "into" LR or PS because of their popularity, without actually using very many features, and for some the image management side of the software is more important than the deep sophistication of editing. If a user has deeply invested in LR file management for thousands of image files, and routinely spends hours reviewing, star-rating and processing - that is different from somebody who just fell into Adobe with simple needs because they're popular. I'd suggest you describe your cameras, your hobby or professional commitments, history of file and image management, and your normal workflow. I'd guess that would focus suggestions better than simply comparing Linux software with high-end professional Windows software.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

starcheese wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:18 amIs there a way to use windows based applications to linux mint?
Yup. Many will work, many others won't.
such as adobe photoshop and lightroom?
If so how? what pre-requisites are needed?
Photoshop 7 and 12 and the CS(6? 2018 the latest) run well under wine version 3.
Dunno about lightroom,

Edit: Just about any windows program will run with "virtualbox".
You use the windows install media (DVD) to "install", say, Win7 into virtualbox, then you can boot it, install software, etc, and it looks pretty much like a normal windows install except it all inside another window with menus, etc, to shutdown and such.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Beginner Questions”