Installation problem [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ricksavery

Installation problem [Solved]

Post by ricksavery »

Hello all.
I thought I was OK with PCs until i discovered Linux! :D

I will try to be brief. Trying to install Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 onto a Windows 10 laptop. Managed a dual boot with Windows 7 on an old one but shiny new one has UEFI (? not come across this before) rather than a BIOS.

Used Win32Installer to write to a 16GB USB stick, which gives me a roughly 2MB partition with a folder called 'efi' in it. There are also two partitions either side of it, as it were, visible in Disk Management, one of just under 2GB, the other of just over 12GB. Both are unallocated and do not show up in Windows Explorer.

Boots into Live version of Mint OK, but when I tried to install it as a sole OS (wiping Windows 10), it pretty much spent the whole night not finding locations on the USB stick, one after another - if that makes sense.
Deciding to cut my losses and restore Windows 10 from a backup USB I had made, I found that Windows 10 had not been touched at all.

Also, whilst in the Live version of Mint, I am unable to mount the installation USB stick - which may be normal.

When you have all finished slapping your foreheads in disbelief and amazement at my stupidity :) could anyone tell me where I am going wrong please?

I have not filled this post with technical info, as I am not sure what is needed but will endeavour to provide whatever is asked for.

The ultimate object is to have Linux Mint as the sole OS on the laptop - or maybe it would be better to dual boot and then remove Windows 10 later ?

UEFI may be more modern than BIOS but it's more of a bugger to use!! At least as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for your help

Rick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Installation problem

Post by kukamuumuka »

[TUTORIAL] Installing Mint on a Windows 8/8.1/10 Computer -> viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
ricksavery

Post by ricksavery »

Thank you so much for this link. I will try and take it all in and will mark this question as solved if it works - which I am sure it will.

I should, perhaps, have searched for this before posting my question. Really appreciate it.
ricksavery

Post by ricksavery »

Again, thanks for the link, very interesting and useful. I have a couple of questions arising from reading this: First, although the live version boots up great now, I still can't mount the USB stick that I'm running it from -although that may be because I am running it from the |USB, not sure. However, the question is, I can't find my NVMe SSD listed in neither Disks nor Gparted, so I can't create / resize any partitions. As I understand from reading around, the drivers for NVMe are already part of the kernel of Mint, so not sure why I'm not seeing it.

The second question is about dual-booting. The link talks about dual-booting with Windows 10 - which is why I was looking for the partitions on my SSD - but still not sure whether it would be best to dual-boot and get rid of Windows 10, or just start with a clean boot as it were, of Linux Mint, in which case, the link doesn't cover that scenario./

Thanks for any and all help with this, and apologies for the probably obvious questions
Rick
wheatpenny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wheatpenny »

If you are looking to wipe the drive and replace Windows with Linux, the installer will offer you a choice: install Linux alongside your other OS or erase the drive and install only Linux.
**This post is made from 100% recycled electrons**
ricksavery

Post by ricksavery »

When I last tried to wipe the drive it went through a long process of not being able find location after location. I am just wondering if this may be a symptom of not finding the SSD so it effectively doesn't know what to wipe?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ ricksavery, .......
ricksavery wrote:.
With Win 10 present, have you disabled Fast Startup, ie >Control Panel >Power options.?
ricksavery

Post by ricksavery »

Yes, quick startup / boot is disabled both within Windows and in UEFI. Reading around on the interweb, it would seem that Linux will not see my NVMe as I have pseudo-RAID, Intel RST enabled rather than the AHCI driver.
However, I also seem to be reading that the Intel RST driver(?) has power-saving implications, with better battery life and (possibly) lower temperatures. Now, i don't know if this is true, or if it is, whether the differences would be minimal, so I suppose my question is whether to change the setting to AHCI from Intel RST, or wait until the Linux kernel changes to take account of this.
In the meantime, I will use the live version from USB with some persistence so I can possibly download programs etc and make it feel 'more real'.
Any suggestions / advice please?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ ricksavery, .......
Please refer to ... https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncat ... operation/ (solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation without the need to reinstall Win 10 in AHCI disk mode)
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter ... t/19659260

The OEMs preinstalled Win 10 in fake-RAID 0 mode using the proprietary Intel RST driver, mainly in order to increase hard-drive performance. Linux cannot detect any hard-drive that uses this proprietary mode.
ricksavery

Post by ricksavery »

Many thanks for your help with this question, and indeed to all who gave me advice and links. I now have a USB stick that I can confidently boot Linux Mint live from, and am reasonably OK with changing from the Intel RST drivers to the AHCI ones.
I still have a question about persistence on the live USB stick, but it seems reasonable to mark this thread as closed and open a new one, as it isn't really about installation issues any more.
Thanks again
Rick
ricksavery

Post by ricksavery »

Except I don't know how to mark it as closed / solved !!!! SDo, tiny bit more help please :D
ricksavery

Re: Installation problem (Solved)

Post by ricksavery »

Should have read an earlier post by the moderator properly! Think I've got it now. Thanks again
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ricksavery wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:12 am Think I've got it now.
Not quite: marking a post as [SOLVED] should be done in the title of the first post so that it can be seen from the overview page. Find the edit button on the first post in the thread and go from there.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ ricksavery, .......
Keep in mind that to reinstall Win 10 in RAID disk mode requires the Intel RST driver to be installed first(eg via a USB-stick) because the Win 10 Install media(= DVD or USB-stick) cannot detect the hard-drive without this driver preinstalled. The Intel RST driver is available for download at the OEM website.
....... Reinstalling Win 10 in AHCI disk mode will be like normal.

Future Win 10 inplace-upgrades in RAID disk mode may be problematic, eg upgrade from Version 1709 to 1803.
ricksavery

Post by ricksavery »

Not quite:
Thanks for that - did wonder how that was going to show in the topics list :) Clearly I don't use forums much !
All (hopefully) sorted now
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Installation problem [Solved]

Post by Moem »

thumbsup150.jpg

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ricksavery

Post by ricksavery »

michael louwe wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 am @ ricksavery, .......
Keep in mind that to reinstall Win 10 in RAID disk mode requires the Intel RST driver to be installed first(eg via a USB-stick) because the Win 10 Install media(= DVD or USB-stick) cannot detect the hard-drive without this driver preinstalled. The Intel RST driver is available for download at the OEM website.
....... Reinstalling Win 10 in AHCI disk mode will be like normal.

Future Win 10 inplace-upgrades in RAID disk mode may be problematic, eg upgrade from Version 1709 to 1803.
Thanks for that - thought I had replied to your post but can't find it so maybe I didn't ! Read around a bit, looked at the links you mentioned, looks to be not as a simple as I first thought so will proceed with caution when/if I go ahead with this.
Still not sure which driver is best - more research needed
Thanks again

Return to “Beginner Questions”