After todays update-->initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davidreedernst

Re: After todays update-->initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart

Post by davidreedernst »

This happened to me too. I had only installed virtualbox to check it out and play around, so I was perfectly happy to remove it if it meant I could get back to my desktop. After removing it from the console, I was able to log back in with MDM, didn't even need to reboot in between. Thanks for alerting us. Here's the requested info.

$ inxi -SGxx
System: Host: grand-canyon Kernel: 4.4.0-116-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0) Console: tty 0 dm: mdm
Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7480D] bus-ID: 00:01.0 chip-ID: 1002:9993
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 124x36 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
fen93t
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fen93t »

Just happened to me:

Code: Select all

inxi -SGxx
System:    Host: Acer Kernel: 4.4.0-116-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0a16
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
I actaully need to use virtualbox as I run windows in it. What do I do?
mint-tee

Post by mint-tee »

xenopeek,

Output of inxi -SGxx is:

System:    Host: akasa Kernel: 4.4.0-116-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.14.1 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm
           Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0162
           Resolution: 1440x900@59.89hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Desktop
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
My internet access failed after the virtualbox update of today.

I used:

sudo apt-get purge virtualbox-guest*
to correct things.

EDIT

If that does not work then use:

sudo apt-get purge virtualbox*
Last edited by mint-tee on Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

fen93t wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:28 pm I actaully need to use virtualbox as I run windows in it. What do I do?
Some have found that the problem is only in virtualbox-guest* so you don't need to remove virtualbox itself.

apt remove virtualbox-guest* seems to do it. If you have already removed virtualbox, go ahead and reinstall it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
rhawkins

Post by rhawkins »

Gang,

Output of "inxi -SGxx" is:

System:    Host: xxxxxxxx Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0106
           Resolution: 1600x900@60.11hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile
My fix was:

apt remove virtualbox-guest-x11
Followed by a reboot (old winhabit!).

My wife's computer is back in business, so I'm off to check the rest of the stable. :)
f_dunbarr

Post by f_dunbarr »

this happen to mine too altho it is 18.1 with upgrades. here is my output:

$ inxi -SGxx
System:    Host: nubar-AY028AA-ABA-CQ5300Y Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430]
           bus-ID: 00:0d.0 chip-ID: 10de:03d0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1360x768@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/integrated/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.135 Direct Rendering: Yes
at least my computer is back up :D
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, xenopeek.

I can confirm that I experienced the problem, caused by virtualbox-guest-dkms/utils/x11, on my Mint 18.1 32-bit xfce as well.
The problem has been reproduced by
  • installing the available virtualbox-guest-dkms/utils/x11 update to 5.1.34-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2
  • rebooting Mint 18.1
  • (Actually on Mint 18.1xfce I could login to the xfce desktop. Yet, it was not fully functional: the bottom panel did not populate properly; graphical applications did not startup; xfce4-terminal did)
The problem has been solved by
  • booting up Mint 18.1 till the graphical login window appeared
  • switching to console monitor 1 by pressing <ctrl><alt><f1>
  • logging in on the console monitor
  • purging the virtualbox-guest packages:

sudo apt-get purge virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-x11
  • switching back to the graphical login dialogue by pressing <alt><f7> and completing the login.
    The xfce desktop was loaded correctly and fully functional.
Here is the requested inxi -SGxx output:

karl@paulchen ~ $ inxi -SGxx
System:    Host: paulchen Kernel: 4.4.0-116-generic i686 bits: 32 gcc: 5.4.0
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) dm: mdm Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:a011
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1024x600@60.03hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Pineview M x86/MMX/SSE2 version: 1.4 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Render: Yes
karl@paulchen ~ $
Hope it will help identify how the updated VB guest packages cause the trouble.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Interestingly until now nearly all reports show a kernel 4.4, in one case kernel 4.10. All graphic types (Intel, NVidia and AMD) can be found in the reports.
willwills
Level 1
Level 1

Post by willwills »

Thanks for all the help here. The workaround worked. And while working it all out, I learned a little more about Mint!

Here is the requested inxi -SGxx output:-

System:    Host: niall-Aspire-X3990 Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0102
           Resolution: 1440x900@59.89hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Desktop

Niall.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi everyone,

First of all, many thanks for your feedback.

We're able to reproduce the issue and we can confirm it comes from the virtualbox-guest updates. We're not sure where the issue is yet. Looking at the Ubuntu changelog it looks like this update fixes support for kernel 4.13. It's possible it broke something with 4.4... we're not sure yet.

In any case, these packages are not needed anymore (they're actually not present in 18.3 after a fresh install) and can be removed.

We're sending updates right now to remove these packages.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

clem wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:19 pm We're sending updates right now to remove these packages.
Finally.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

We believe the following updates prevent the issue from happening for people who didn't get it yet:

- Linux Mint 18 sarah: mintupdate 5.1.0.5
- Linux Mint 18.1 serena: mintupdate 5.2.1.2
- Linux Mint 18.2 sonya: mintupdate 5.2.9.1
- Linux Mint 18.3 sylvia: mintupdate 5.3.2.1

These mintupdate updates trigger the removal of virtualbox-guest-utils, virtualbox-guest-x11 and virtualbox-guest-dkms.

These packages are not needed if you're running Linux Mint on a computer.

If you are running Linux Mint as a guest OS within Virtualbox, proceed with the removal of these packages and then install the Virtualbox Guest Additions (In the guest virtual machine, choose Devices -> Install Guest Additions from the menubar).

If you already applied the virtualbox-guest* updates and you're unable to log in:

- Drop to console by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1
- Login in text mode
- Remove the virtualbox guest packages with the command below:

sudo apt-get purge virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-x11
- Reboot the computer
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I believe on my system it had to do with my NVIDIA card. My screen would just flicker and I could see a green NVIDIA label showing

System:    Host: pepi-HP-Z600-Workstation Kernel: 4.4.0-116-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: lightdm
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G94GL [Quadro FX 1800] bus-ID: 0f:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0638
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1680x1050@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: Quadro FX 1800/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.104 Direct Rendering: Yes
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

@Pepi, no it affects all GPUs.
Douglas Bondurant

Post by Douglas Bondurant »

Hi. Since dealing with issue, all OS animation / general video & even text input hitches...

New to these forums, not all that linux savvy, but I'm assuming this has to do with the update since I have changed nothing since.

Mint 18.1 64 Cinnamon

If this needs more info, or a new or different post, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
-DB
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

For Mint 18.1 on the 4.8 kernel:
I have yet to apply the purge, now running from a spare computer while I learn what happened...
Something else odd: when initially confronted with this issue, I tried to reboot and hold the SHIFT key to see if I could boot into a backup kernel.
To my surprise, the kernel list never came up and I came right back to the MDM login screen.
Additionally, when I tried to CTL+ALT+F1 out of the login screen, nothing happened!! :?
This is strange because both fallbacks have always worked in the past, even with my wireless keyboard.

I am going to try this with a hard-wired keyboard.

Man, this update really screwed the pooch~!

Will report back with findings.

EDIT: well, this time login allowed me to CTL+ALT+F1 (still using wireless keyboard) and I was able to get into console.
The purge worked.
And I see the mintupdate 5.2.1.2. in update mgr. Would it be beneficial to apply that update after the purge?

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Manic Monday, lol.
:shock:
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

FYI, it appears that this virtualbox update renames /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.03262018 so if you notice coolbits not working for nvidia you'll have to rename it.
paintdrinkingpete

Post by paintdrinkingpete »

kmph wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:48 pm Also affected.

In my case, sudo apt-get remove virtualbox* seems to have solved the problem for now.

=================================================================================================================================================

I'm sorry but I'd like to mention that I'm annoyed.

Linux Mint offers packages with a noticeable delay, often reaching a few years. The explanation is that because of that Linux Mint can offer stability and will not break.

It's not the first time a Linux Mint update breaks my computer.

Is it really true that we have a bleeding edge vs stability tradeoff? Or is it true that as of now there is neither stability nor bleeding edge?
I understand this frustration, but what you should understand is that in regards to the "stability" of which you speak, that is primarily related to feature updates; updates intended to fix bugs and/or provide security patches are what you are primarily receiving with a "long-term support" (LTS) release like Linux Mint. In other words, if a LTS distro comes with "$software version 4.0", it probably won't ever be updated to version 5.0 during the lifetime of that release, but it is highly possible it will be updated to version 4.1 to 4.2 and so on...

And yes, in general this approach DOES improve stability, but unfortunately there a lot of variables in play when it comes to updating software, and sometimes these things happen. Mint is, for the most part, a very stable Linux OS, one of the most stable I've ever used myself...and the fact that most of the updates are coming from the Ubuntu LTS repositories also helps to provide this.

I would say that having to deal with this sort of thing is just a part of choosing to run a Linux OS (because sometimes it is), but honestly, it's not as if Microsoft and Apple have always been immune to bad things happening after updates were pushed out. It's unfortunate, but it does happen.

Personally, I tend to sit on new updates for at least a few days on any of my "production" systems, and try to regularly keep up with forums so that when stuff like this does pop up...both to avoid this kind of situation, and to know what to do when it things do go wrong.
kmph

Post by kmph »

jimallyn wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:32 pm
fen93t wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:28 pm I actaully need to use virtualbox as I run windows in it. What do I do?
Some have found that the problem is only in virtualbox-guest* so you don't need to remove virtualbox itself.

apt remove virtualbox-guest* seems to do it. If you have already removed virtualbox, go ahead and reinstall it.
Is there any harm in not doing this? I've never consciously run virtualbox yet, however, is it needed for any background tasks, system running, whatever?
paintdrinkingpete

Post by paintdrinkingpete »

kmph wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:02 pm
Is there any harm in not doing this? I've never consciously run virtualbox yet, however, is it needed for any background tasks, system running, whatever?
From what I understand, these "virtualbox-guest*" packages are for if you are running Mint as a virtual guest using virtualbox. If you are not (and based on your comment I'm assuming you certainly are not), then yes, should be safe to remove.

Return to “Software & Applications”