Problem with an update.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LAPIII
Level 1
Level 1

Problem with an update.

Post by LAPIII »

Yesterday after I updated, these applications wouldn't open: Firefox, Chromium, and Update Manager.Where are Firefox bookmarks kept?

Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 18 with Cinnamon (64-bit)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Problem with an update.

Post by Cosmo. »

TehBroZor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TehBroZor »

I am having this too! gufw is "gone" (asks for a password then nothing!) google-chrome just pretends to run then nothing, firefox will atleast throw a seg fault in syslog, network-manger gone/wont open, My friend is also running linux mint 18 and she has the same problem, network-manger gone, browsers won't launch, etc. This all happened overnight and the fact that it is happening to multiple of us suggests update gone wrong, right?

I tried booting into an older kernal (currently 4.4.0-116-generic x86_64)
I tried updating past the glitch

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && apt upgrade
I tried restarting network-manger via terminal (viewtopic.php?t=109823) (there was no error, so I guess its not gone)
I tried reinstalling network-manger (traffic comes in and out so wifi connects still and usb phone tether connects still)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install network-manager --reinstall
(I also tried this with firefox, no go)
I tried reloading network-manger from recovery mode (https://askubuntu.com/questions/771627/ ... 841#771841)
I removed troublesome virtualbox updates that were causing login problems (viewtopic.php?f=90&t=266478) this wasn't my problem but after doing this update-manger "came back" (shows up in icon tray AND gui launches!)- not sure if its related

I am having trouble understanding how so many packages could be affected, I have learned a lot so far but am still new to troubleshooting/fixing myself. any help would be greatly appreciated. Why wont my web browsers launch? where is the 'network-manger'? gufw? What info would help diagnose this? Thank you for any and all help you may provide!!!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

TehBroZor wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:35 pm I am having this too!
Follow Cosmo's link for the fix. It's the same underlying issue.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Dlamont

Post by Dlamont »

Guys, I'm having this problem too. Only my WiFi is gone with it. No software or hardware block, it just refuses to go. I don't have a network cable handy (there is one in the garage) and I'm forced to use a Windows laptop... :x
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Borrow or buy a network cable (or get it from the garage). Next please... :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Dlamont

Post by Dlamont »

Why is that there is always a quick post which does not solve the problem, hmm?

It does not work with the cable either. Any solution to that one, Moem?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Dlamont wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:40 am Why is that there is always a quick post which does not solve the problem, hmm?
Because we're working with a lack of information. I don't know which commands will inform about network problems, but someone else is bound to tell you; in the meantime, can you post the outcome of the command inxi -Fxz for some basic information about your system? You can save it as a text file on a USB stick in order to paste it into your next message.

In your place, I'd still try to follow the instructions given here and see what happens after a reboot. You don't need an internet connection to run apt remove virtualbox-guest*.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
TehBroZor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TehBroZor »

Cosmo, smurphos, et. al.,

Thank you! I have been able to use my machine since removing the faulty guest package for vb
You don't need an internet connection to run apt remove virtualbox-guest*

True dat! After running that I was connected again but couldnt tell or change any settings since i've exclusively been using the little icon from the panel. The 'network-manager' was not an option when trying to add it back on but network-manager wasn't gone:
sudo apt-get install network-manager
[sudo] password for kevin:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
network-manager is already the newest version (1.2.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.2).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
itcl3 itk3 iwidgets4 libgsoap8 libtcl8.5 libtk8.5 tcl8.5 tk8.5
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
but could not be added back to panel. I could add a "network monitor" to my panel and it at least showed me packets moving in and out.
These were things I found while trying to get my network-manager set up way I had it before.
viewtopic.php?t=230759
https://askubuntu.com/questions/16584/h ... le_rich_qa
Still unable to use the old panel applet thing, hasn't prevented me from using the machine and so i'm pretty happy (not my thread, so I don't call anything SOLVED right?) gufw opens, my browsers all open, update manager, all except that one little tray thing, which means a different thread for a different day!
I also read there are other packages you can download that do all the things my network-manger screen did.

Hope this helps anyone else still struggling! Thank you everybody for helping me out!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

TehBroZor wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:44 pm Cosmo, smurphos, et. al.,

Thank you! I have been able to use my machine since removing the faulty guest package for vb
You don't need an internet connection to run apt remove virtualbox-guest*

True dat! After running that I was connected again but couldnt tell or change any settings since i've exclusively been using the little icon from the panel. The 'network-manager' was not an option when trying to add it back on but network-manager wasn't gone:
What's your Desktop Environment?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
TehBroZor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TehBroZor »

$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
mate

Return to “Software & Applications”