Networking dual boot PCs [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
JoHubb
Level 3
Level 3

Networking dual boot PCs [Solved]

Post by JoHubb » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:27 pm

I have two PCs, both are dual boot running Linux Mint 18.3 Mate and Windows 10 Home, both 64bit.

When both PCs are booted in Linux, under Network Servers there are icons showing Windows Network. Clicking on this icon in either PC produces 'Unable to mount location'. I can understand this, since both PCs are running Linux, not Windows.

So, how can I network these two Linux machines on my ethernet network? I want to network the Linux partitions - not just share files.

I'd be grateful for advice.

John
Last edited by JoHubb on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Networking dual boot PCs

Post by catweazel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:52 am

JoHubb wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:27 pm
So, how can I network these two Linux machines on my ethernet network?
This way.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:46 am

So, how can I network these two Linux machines on my ethernet network? I want to network the Linux partitions - not just share files.
What does that mean exactly?

You don't want to share a specific folder but want the other machine to have access to your entire OS? If the latter is the case you might also consider SSH:

[1] On both machines install ssh:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ssh
"ssh" is a metapackage that contains both client and server components of SSH.

[2] Then on Machine1 determine the host name of that machine:

hostname
[3] On Machine 2 open a terminal and run:

caja sftp://Machine1-host-name.local
Where Machine1-host-name is the host name you found in step [2] - and don't forget the .local at the end.

You will get a butt ugly response that looks something like this:
SSH1.png
Click on Log In Anyway. Then it will ask you for the user name and password of a user on that machine.

You can bookmark the location after you make the connection.

BTW, "Windows Network" is the name given to the smb protocol. The folks who put Desktop Linux together think that smb/samba is a windows only thing despite the fact that it is the default file sharing protocol on all desktop systems - including Linux. Unless Mint goes out of it's way to mess it up Mint 19 will automatically broadcast it's SMB presence to other Linux and macOS machines under "Browse Network" and outside of "Windows Network" so this misunderstanding - on the part of the user anyway - should go away.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

JoHubb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JoHubb » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:38 pm

Thanks catweasel - trying this suggestion from altair4 first.
What does that mean exactly?

You don't want to share a specific folder but want the other machine to have access to your entire OS? If the latter is the case you might also consider SSH:
Thanks, altair4. I want to share all folders between the two machines, including downloads. Access to a few specific folders is no use to me.

Terminal on Machine 2 - to access Machine 1 hostname Snow-White

howard@howard-System-Product-Name ~ $ caja sftp://Snow-White.local
howard@howard-System-Product-Name ~ $

then,

Could not display "sftp://snow-white.local/".
Error: timed out when logging in.
Please select another viewer and try again.

Where to from here?

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:45 pm

Before I try to reproduce this error can you see if re-installing the following package does anything:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install gvfs-backends
And just to make sure the firewall isn't in the way can you disable the firewall on Snow-White:

sudo ufw disable
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

JoHubb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JoHubb » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:04 pm

Job Done! Great stuff! Many thanks, altair4.

I can now access everything on Machine 1 (Snow-White) from Machine 2. Can I set up the reverse using the same method?

The Hostname for Machine 2 is given as howard-System-Product-Name.
It should be Rudolf!

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:22 pm

JoHubb wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:04 pm
Job Done! Great stuff! Many thanks, altair4.

I can now access everything on Machine 1 (Snow-White) from Machine 2. Can I set up the reverse using the same method?

The Hostname for Machine 2 is given as howard-System-Product-Name.
It should be Rudolf!
Yes.

Return to “Newbie Questions”