Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Cattleman
Level 3
Level 3

How to Install Sleepyhead CPAP software[SOLVED]

Post by Cattleman » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:56 am

I need to install Sleepyhead software for Linux Mint 18x but I don't know how. It seems that I must build from source however, I don't know how to do that since I am an inexperienced user. Can anyone tell me what to do?
Last edited by Cattleman on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to Install Sleepyhead CPAP software

Post by Arch_Enemy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:14 am

Cattleman wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:56 am
I need to install Sleepyhead software for Linux Mint 18x but I don't know how. It seems that I must build from source however, I don't know how to do that since I am an inexperienced user. Can anyone tell me what to do?
Welllll.....

FIrst, you have to make sure you have Build-Essentials installed; you can do that through Synaptic. Now, do you know if it's a 32 bit or 64 bit program? If it's 32 bit you also have to install ia32 to get the necessary libraries.

Ok, so I'm guessing you have a tarball (.tar; .tar.xz; .tar.gz. or .rar) open the directory it's in and double click and Engrampa or File-Roller should open, and have a file folder in it. In your file manager go to your home directory; I create one called "Test" to put software I need to compile. You can grab the folder in the archive manager and drag it into your new directory.

Go into the directory created when you dragged the extracted directory over, and look for a file README or INSTALLATION. This will give you any parameters that need to be built-in while it's compiling. these are modifierscalled 'configure'. You can right-click. select "open a terminal here" and in the terminal enter

Code: Select all

./configure --help
and often it will give you a list of options to include. Once you determine what you need, if anything, type in

./configure
and it should run through a script. Watch for any "If you want x feature, build with use --(feature)" for any extras that can be built in. You can run ./configure as many times as necessary.

If it exits without error, it may tell you at the end what the next step usually is:

make
This could take quite a while depending on the size and complexity of the program.

If all goes well and it does not show an error, such as "make failed: no recipe for make-all" :evil: then enter

sudo make install

and if all goes well your new program is installed. You do the 'sudo' because it probably need to install into directories you don't have user access to, so this allows it to copy portions into the proper directories.

Good luck! It sounds daunting, but for those of us who aren't programmers watching a program compile is pretty cool!
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:34 am

Hi Cattleman,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It is always a good idea to check if the software you are interested in can be installed in an easier method than compiling from its source code. In this case it could already be in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), or you can go to the link below which may be a newer version and has an easy to install Linux ".deb" file under the Ubuntu heading on the right that you can download and double click to install it.

SleepyHead CPAP Review Software
https://sleepyhead.jedimark.net/

How to Use SleepyHead Software to Download and Analyze Data from Your CPAP Machine | Sleep Apnea Group
https://www.sleepapneagroup.com/threads ... chine.187/

There is another "fork" of this software that you can install, that apparently does require compiling and has instructions in the link below.
GitHub - frohoff/sleepyhead: imported from https://sourceforge.net/projects/sleepyhead/
https://github.com/frohoff/sleepyhead

Before trying to compiling any software from its source code you need the basics, and the console terminal command below covers most of those.

sudo apt install build-essential cmake curl wget git checkinstall
Then, you need to make sure that you have the supporting packages (dependencies) installed as well which are usually mentioned on the website. If you are lucky, they provide the exact commands and or names of those packages.
SleepyHead QT port v0.9 branch

SleepyHead is cross platform, opensource sleep tracking program for reviewing CPAP and Oximetry data,
which are devices used in the treatment of Sleep Disorders like Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

Requirements:
-------------
Qt5 SDK with webkit (opengl stuff recommended)
Linux needs libudev-dev for qserialport to compile

Building:
--------
Recommend shadow building to not cruft up the source code folder:
cd ..
mkdir build_sleepyhead
cd build_sleepyhead
qmake ../sleepyhead-code/SleepyHeadQT.pro
make
sudo make install

You may need to add a -spec option to qmake to suit your platform.
Adding -j3 speeds up the make command on a dual core or greater system.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:14 am

This pertains to sleepyhead:

https://rehmann.co/blog/spo2-review-ass ... x-windows/

Though I looked at the sleepyhead home page quoted above and phrases like "You may need to add a -spec option to qmake to suit your platform" wouldn't give me much confidence in their Linux support.

Cattleman
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to Install Sleepyhead CPAP software{SOLVED]

Post by Cattleman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:36 am

I forgot to state that I am running Mint 18.3 Mate 64bit.
After much consideration and my uncertainty regarding my ability on things technical, I decided to run the Windows version of Sleepyhead using Wine. It works very well. Thank you for your replies.
Problem Solved

Return to “Software & Applications”