Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mxj_13
Level 1
Level 1

custom screen saver mods not working

Post by mxj_13 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:06 pm

In my .xscreensaver file, the picture were not displaying. So I edit it and that resolved the issue. I also have a two custom modules that I added, one was for playing movie's the the setting looks like this:

Code: Select all

"Vids Movies" 	mplayer -shuffle -really-quiet -volume 50     \
				  -nolirc -nostop-xscreensaver -wid	      \
				  $XSCREENSAVER_WINDOW -fs -loop 0	      \
				  $HOME/Videos/screen/*			    \n\
-
This use to work with xscreensaver, but does not show up as an option in the selection panel. Does anyone have any solution to add custom selections? Or another way to do movie files in the screen saver?

.\\itch - In a day of illusions and utter confusions, we base our conclusions on our delusions.

mxj_13
Level 1
Level 1

Re: custom screen saver mods not working

Post by mxj_13 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:43 pm

OK, lets try this. How does one remove cinnamon-screensaver and replace it with xscreensaver on Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia?

I know that works well, I am not sure why they reinvented something that was not broke.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:51 am

mxj_13 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:06 pm
Or another way to do movie files in the screen saver?
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2039

I'm not sure if this still works.....edit - yes it does! That's intriguing - in theory it should be possible to make a full HTML5 video player and have it as your screensaver.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:44 am

Endless possibilities

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:03 am

Apologies mxj-13 for hijacking your thread....last post - if I investigate this further I will start my own...

So I was wondering if the webkit screensaver can handle a fairly complex HTML structure. As a quick test and recalling that MDM used some animated webkit themes in the login screen I downloaded the MDM themes from - https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-mdm-themes - and transplanted one into the screensaver folder. It works.....and renders a lot better as an actual screensaver rather than in the Settings app.

Return to “Software & Applications”