SOLVED: How do I put Win 10 on second HDD thats in a Linux System

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PlutoPup

Post by PlutoPup »

I had Win 10 on second computer. My 8 year old granddaughter played RoBlox's games on it. Before I thought it through, I deleted Win 10 and installed Linux Mint Cinnamon on it. It boots up fast not being a Dual Boot System. However, RoBlox's doesn't play well unless its on a Windows System so I want to put win 10 back on the second HDD and make it Dual Boot. Since I formatted the 2nd drive in Linux, Win doesn't want to install on it.

What must I do to the HDD so Win 10 will install on it and is there going to be any problems that I should avoid,? All just so when my granddaughter comes over, she'll be able to play RoBlox's..!
Right now Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2 is installed on sdb and the 2nd HDD is sda1 which now shows Unknown - entire HDD. Formatted NTFS.

PlutoPup
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
daret

Re: How do I put Win 10 on second HDD thats in a Linux System

Post by daret »

The easiest way could be to remove your Mint HDD and let Windows format end install it self on the second drive.
Maybe, you will have to set the boot sequence in BIOS (should be automatic).

Then add your drive for Linux and reinstall Mint. You should get dual boot menu on startup.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

This phrase confuses me: "Since I formatted the 2nd drive in Linux, Win doesn't want to install on it."

'Linux' format is not just one thing, but it's going to be ext4 format unless you specified otherwise. Windows doesn't recognize that format by default, so a Windows installer is just going to think the drive is unallocated space and rewrite it all.

So I suspect there may be another reason, but others will probably be more help here.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the better way, would be as daret suggested:
- remove the LinuxMint HDD & re-install win-10 onto that drive, letting it format & install onto that drive.
then replace the LinuxMint HDD & redo the Grub Boot Loader, to get the win-10 into the Grub Menu.

or you could modify the Windows Boot Menu,, to include the LinuxMint system.
- it would depend mainly on what drive is booted First, in the BIOS setting.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
PlutoPup

Post by PlutoPup »

UPDATE:

I read your suggestions and cut power to the Linux Drive leaving drive 0 or sda as the only working HDD. That worked as Win 10 is installing as I type this.

Response to being confusing: "Since I erased Windows on that drive in Linux, Win doesn't or wont install on it, (sda when sdb - with Linux - is connected). I don't know why. sda shows up as drive 0 and the partitions with Linux show up as on drive 1. I still get a message, "Windows can't install on that drive" no matter what it is partitioned as. Now the drive with Linux is removed, Windows is installing. I don't know why that is.

I installed Linux on the 2nd or sdb. When windows is installed and I hook sdb back into the computer, I should probably, "sudo update-grub", yes.? Will that work. for a dual boot.?

PlutoPup
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

PlutoPup wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:55 am "sudo update-grub", yes.? Will that work. for a dual boot.?
Should do yes.

Set your Linux drive as first boot priority in bio's/uefi and run the command. Next time you boot you'll see Windows as a boot option in the GRUB menu.
PlutoPup

Post by PlutoPup »

Well it took me all morning but Windows 10 is installed on a separate HDD and running in a dual boot with Linux. Win 10 boots up slowly though in this dual boot set up. Linux is fine. Why would Win 10 not install on a separate drive if the Linux HDD is hooked up.? Strange.!

Had to unhook the HDD with Linux installed from the computer before Win 10 would load. Hook it all back and Boot into Linux, ran sudo update-Grub and everything works as it should. The "DoNotSpy10" app that I ran on Windows is Probably what is slowing the boot time of Windows. But I have to draw a line against prying eyes somewhere.

Thanks for the Help,
PlutoPup

Return to “Cinnamon”