Linux is Not Windows

Chat about Linux in general
TomT3rd

Re: Linux is Not Windows

Post by TomT3rd » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:40 pm

It happens, the breach still shows up on pwned.
Last edited by TomT3rd on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pcsailor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pcsailor » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:38 pm

carlos wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:55 am
This is an excellent article geared towards those coming from windoze.
Thanks,
Excellent!

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:36 am

TomT3rd wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:40 pm
Cost me some work but managed to stop a credit card charge.
Wow. How did that happen? I mean, how did they use your Linux Mint forum creds to try and get money from your credit card? That sounds scary.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

TomT3rd

Post by TomT3rd » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Sorry for the delayed response. I don`t come here often. I have no idea how it happened.
Last edited by TomT3rd on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomT3rd

Post by TomT3rd » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Here was the date. To be fair Disqus and LindkedIn accounts were also hacked but the information however was not sold off on the black market till after the Mint hack. Here then is the one from Mint.

"Linux Mint: In February 2016, the website for the Linux distro known as Linux Mint was hacked and the ISO infected with a backdoor. The site also ran a phpBB forum which was subsequently put up for sale complete with almost 145k email addresses, passwords and other personal subscriber information."

"Compromised data: Avatars, Dates of birth, Email addresses, Geographic locations, IP addresses, Passwords, Time zones, Website activity" End of report.

Mint went to work right away to correct the hacked forums and spent a good deal of time and money on fixing the problem along with the corrupted iso, as did the other two.
Regards.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:29 am

If you reuse weak passwords between the forums and your email/bank accounts, this is entirely your fault. These information could have been stolen from Linux Mint forum hack, or from any other hack in the world. And in my opinion, a Linkedin hack is more valuable to open a Credit.

Now let's go back to the topic: Linux is not Windows.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

TomT3rd

Post by TomT3rd » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:10 pm

I did not say it was Mints fault, if you read my comment correctly. The hack happened at Mint forums and that my friend is a fact and I have been using computers long enough to know that strong passwords that are changed often are a must. This is on topic as the point is if your not careful with updates and passwords the system is vulnerable as is windows obviously not as subject to maleware. Your reply is one of the reasons I don`t come here a lot and by the way I have contributed to Mint however I now prefer Arch. Regards.

lsemmens
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lsemmens » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:01 pm

I think your illustration, TomT3rd is a valid case in point. It matters not what OS or forum we use, we are all vulnerable to attack. The vector usually affects the largest group, hence windoze is going to be more prevalent. You can make numbers say anything you want. I I said 50% of people in town had the flu then that, in itself, might sound bad. If I said 5 people had the flu, you wouldn't bat an eyelid. That figure is referring to the same group, the fact is, there are only 10 people in the town.
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

BG405
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BG405 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:55 pm

lsemmens wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:01 pm
I think your illustration, TomT3rd is a valid case in point. It matters not what OS or forum we use
A valid point or not, it's still not what this thread is intended for. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik » Wed May 02, 2018 7:17 pm

"Linux is Not Windows"...thank heavens. Been Microslop free for 8 years, don't miss the virus paranoia, the maintenance, the crashes, the (built in) spyware, the errors, the built in anti-competition bugs, etc, etc, etc. AAMOF, new PCs and WinDOHS! are two separate products, they should be sold separately, holy anti-trust lawsuit waiting to happen, but for some bizarre reason, it never materialized. :roll:
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2x120GB Intel SSDs, 2x1TB storage HDDs (mirrored), 500GB 'test' HDD, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury, Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...Linux Registered User 533946

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Fri May 04, 2018 5:00 pm

TomT3rd wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:10 pm
I did not say it was Mints fault, if you read my comment correctly. The hack happened at Mint forums and that my friend is a fact and I have been using computers long enough to know that strong passwords that are changed often are a must. This is on topic as the point is if your not careful with updates and passwords the system is vulnerable as is windows obviously not as subject to maleware. Your reply is one of the reasons I don`t come here a lot and by the way I have contributed to Mint however I now prefer Arch. Regards.
Oh. A glutton for punishment, eh?

If you think Dude's response harshed your mellow, with until you ask a "stupid" question on the Arch Forum. You ain't seen slings and arrows hurled you way yet...

I asked a maintainer to change the download location of a package because the current package build used and out of date location, and pretty much got called an @$$hole. :shock: Also got told if I couldn't handle a real OS I should go back to Windows. I've been on Linux for ~15 years now. I was also the Novell guy at the GE Helpdesk. Nice bunch of folks they have there. So I said fu...er...goodbye to Arch and came here.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

DAMIEN1307
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:31 pm

hi arch_enemy...lol...i remember a while back that i called you a "glutton for punishment with masochistic tendencies" because you kept going back to manjaro-arch and always came back here just a little scorched for your valiant efforts to make it behave for you, usually ending in a scorched earth policy of destruction and back to the sanity known as Mint...does your last missive here tell us all that you have now been "truly" reformed from being a totally heretical miscreant and are now a "true" believer?...lol...lol...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sat May 05, 2018 10:48 am

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:31 pm
hi arch_enemy...lol...i remember a while back that i called you a "glutton for punishment with masochistic tendencies" because you kept going back to manjaro-arch and always came back here just a little scorched for your valiant efforts to make it behave for you, usually ending in a scorched earth policy of destruction and back to the sanity known as Mint...does your last missive here tell us all that you have now been "truly" reformed from being a totally heretical miscreant and are now a "true" believer?...lol...lol...DAMIEN
Well, Mint will always be my OS for work, etc.

But, I'm a tinkerer, I love playing with Operating Systems, and I love having total (or, near total) control. Can't beat Arch for that. My issues came mostly from trying to create a portable OS on a USB I can use anywhere and have the options and packages I want right there already installed.

I can make one up with Mint in about 20 minutes. Arch...ugh. It can be done, and as much as I like to tinker, that goes beyond the pale. It's a horrendous process. People have made tools to make it happen, and have had success, but it's just too much effort for something I can do with Mint easily.

So, no, I am with Mint to stay, but I'm sure there will be an occasional excursion to the Dark Side...:D

BTW, I tried Mint ~2006 after a bout with Vista. I decided it was just too simplistic. See how much I learned in 11 years? ;)
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Chat about Linux”