Linux mint view

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sebf

Linux mint view

Post by sebf »

Hello
I know Linux mint is based on Ubuntu, but I think you're late on a lot of things.
Already the kernel is a fairly old kernel, well let's get the kernel if it's lts.

Softwares :

the office 5.1 word processor, is really too old when there is free office 6.0 vlc 2.2 while vlc 3.0 was released not long ago.
The problem of updates that asks what is the level of updates that we want.

Computer level we have to do all the updates. Selecting updates is dangerous.
The mirror of the local repository: a beginner will understand nothing at all.
In depots, there is a lack of common software. Teamviewer is a software that the normal user uses, it is also missing tor

Personally if I have to go on the internet look for a point deb, not interesting.

This is only my opinion of course, but I think Linux mint is getting old.

Cordially.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Linux mint view

Post by Moem »

Well, there is a new version coming out in a matter of a few weeks.
sebf wrote:The problem of updates that asks what is the level of updates that we want.
That is a problem? How so?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
sebf

Post by sebf »

I'm just saying that all updates need to be done.
selecting the level of updates for me is dangerous.
it remains my opinion
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Okay then.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

There are some of us who value stability over cutting edge updates. I think one of Mint's great attractions for those folks is that a stable approach to updates is better and the grading system allows us to choose which upgrades are important to us and which are not. Which may harm a system and cause problems and which do not. Mint has never been about being on the cusp of software development but about a good solid stable release that will work for the long term without breakage. There are plenty of Distros around for those that want the latest updates. Just MHO. The Mint developers do a great job with testing and making mint as stable as possible. And a lot of the time when people break their systems it's because they go outside the Mint repositories.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
sebf

Post by sebf »

I gave my opinion.
Personally, I will migrate to a linux that will be up to date.
I prefer a less stable but up-to-date distribution
cordially
bigal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bigal »

Each to their own
Lots of Minty machines but there again I like lamb and I do live in Wales!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Arch Linux or one of its derivatives (Antergos, Manjaro) are probably what you're looking for. All the latest, cutting edge packages.
sebf

Post by sebf »

Yes I'm interested in Manjaro, which seems pretty good to me. thank you very much
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

sebf wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:55 am Yes I'm interested in Manjaro, which seems pretty good to me. thank you very much
Manjaro is a fine distro and is very cutting edge. Also you may want to look at Fedora - Which introduces new technology very quickly.
good luck finding what fits you :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

sebf wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:57 am I know Linux mint is based on Ubuntu, but I think you're late on a lot of things.
There is something you probably never know: Linux Mint is LTS. Do you know what it means - LTS?
sebf wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:36 am Personally, I will migrate to a linux that will be up to date.
I prefer a less stable but up-to-date distribution
Fedora is right for you.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
sebf

Post by sebf »

Long term support means late version software. Or missing software, like Teamviewer. Anyway, I just migrated to manjaro, so the subject is over.
Good luck to Mint

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”