Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lexon

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by lexon »

Soon after I signed up for FB I disabled my email address. I hear from friends every so often the someone hacked their FB email account. lol
I change FB password regularly.
I only accept friends request from someone I know and meet in person. Never any issues.

L
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:22 am
coffee412 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:58 am If you do not agree with facebook policies then just dont use it.
I don't use it, and guess what? They still have a 'shadow profile' about me.

Leaving everything to the free market is the worst way to protect consumers, as it doesn't care about their wellbeing. For that, we need governments.
Hear, hear!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

coffee412 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:58 am I have always been a believer that the free market takes care of its own problems.
Possibly, but it seems unlikely that we will ever know that for sure. On this planet, markets are controlled by those who have too much already, and solely for their own benefit.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

jimallyn wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:56 pmOn this planet, markets are controlled by those who have too much already, and solely for their own benefit.
And no is ever required to do business with any of them. But they also employ millions of people who have a pretty good standard of living. I'll take that.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Mozilla launched a petition just now: Facebook needs to be accountable to all of us

In light of Europe's strong new data protection laws which will come into force on May 25th, Mozilla's petition calls for Zuckerberg to also face tough questions from European legislators in the European Parliament and set a global precedent.

You can sign the petition here: https://foundation.mozilla.org/campaign ... arliament/
Snafu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Snafu »

I stopped using fb about five years ago.
When all else fails follow the instructions
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Never did, never will.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:16 am Never did, never will.
+1.
so - what's the Fuss all about .. it's so easy to avoid.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

jimallyn wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:56 pm
coffee412 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:58 am I have always been a believer that the free market takes care of its own problems.
Possibly, but it seems unlikely that we will ever know that for sure. On this planet, markets are controlled by those who have too much already, and solely for their own benefit.
IMO,

I think that the reason there is concentrated control by those is because of the roadblocks to entering a market. This is a situation brought on by companies lobbying the Government(s) to enact regulation into their market. This regulation hampers smaller companies from entering what is suppose to be an open market.

The amount of regulations of certain markets keeps competition from entering and thus maintains a monopoly in the market. Great examples can be found in the ISP market. Where I live you have a choice of only two providers. This is decided at the state level here.

I spent some time talking to people I know about their feelings toward the facebook issue. Its pretty much understood what is going on with social media but a common answer is "This is how I keep in touch with family thus, I have to use it. There isnt any other place". People get comfortable with a site and never spend time to investigate other means to stay in contact with others.

While many people from around the world believe that sites like facebook should be regulated - controlled by the government(s) - I think that it will actually have an adverse effect when you start putting more regulations into a market. This situation only provides an opportunity for governments to impose regulations that will ultimately control the internet as a whole.

The cropping up of the privacy issues on the internet have already provided solutions from the free market. We have seen the rise of VPN services, Plugins for browsers to block facebook and soon others too. We also have plugins for privacy like Badger and of course the popular Adblock. The governments did not come up with these. It was the free enterprise system that has done this. With the growth of these services comes benefits such as more jobs and opportunities for more businesses however small or large they are or become.

As always, I respect others opinions :)

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Royal-Mint

Post by Royal-Mint »

For some reason... facebook ceo when he smiles reminds me of Trololo guy. :roll:
It'd be perfect fit if someone make a parody with Trololo song on his smile.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

The problem IMHO is fb is a case of "bait and switch" in that they proclaim to be a force for good to help people "connect." And most folks who use fb believe that. The real business model for fb is selling ads and selling your data. Someone said, I cannot recall who, "when a product is free . . . then you are the product." Well actually your data is the product from which fb, and Google and _______ fill in the blank of your favorite media, make their Billions.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Facebook is a voluntary surveillance agency. If the NSA or other government agency were gathering such info people would be screaming at their congressmen. But Facebook gets a pass because it's convenient. And because Zuck is feeding money into congressmen's coffers. My hope is that Europe has the stones to seriously curtail this Facebook beast and perhaps America will get benefits from that. I would like to see an end to shadow profiles which Zuck pretended he had never heard of during the hearing when asked about it, yet everyone except him knows about. Would like to see users have the ability to completely, fully delete their accounts, and also have the ability to see everything Facebook actually has collected about them. That latter part could perhaps finally wake users up enough to dump the service. Finally, would like to see an end to Facebook trackers that follow everyone around the Internet whether or not they are Facebook users.
Better still, would like to see Facebook sued into oblivion.
So no, I don't trust them.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

it's not just Facebook that is shady. Google does a lot of nasty things on an Android phone. installing anything free from anywhere usually brings in uninvited guests sending data.
recently this caught my attention, boot-repair can installs itself on ALL the drives in the computer records everything about your computer and sends all that data away if you don't check advanced options. seems developers are always running shit in the background not expecting the norm user to opt out or in :evil: :evil: :evil: oh you say it's anonymous info which is just a gateway drug. pissed me right the eff off when i used boot-repair and changed every drive on my system without letting me know and i was trying to figure out why the hell did i have grub installed on all my storage drives.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

I still use Facebook

Post by mediclaser »

I have relatives, schoolmates, former co-workers, and friends scattered around the globe. I have to use and keep using Facebook to keep in touch with them in the most convenient way possible. Name any country and there is a 90% chance I've got a relative or friend who lives there. :lol:
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

facebook says they are tracking non-users "for their own good"...????REALLY????...DAMIEN

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/1 ... non_users/
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pierre wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:09 am it's so easy to avoid.
Ah, if that were true. :cry:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

well Moem you do have to make a conscious decision to *not* use FB
:shock:
then you just simply block it :
How to Block Facebook Connect Cookies in Mozilla Firefox?
1. Open Firefox Browser on Your Computer,
2. Visit "Facebook Developers."
3. Click the "Tools" Menu, and Click "Page Info."( in FF )
4. Click the "Permissions" Option in the Window that Appears.
5. Clear the Check Box from "Use Default" in the "Set Cookies" Section,
and Click "Block" to Block Facebook Connect Cookies on Firefox.

Done.

no more FB tracking - - on that machine, at least.
which is just 8) if you are *not* using FB yourself. . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Okay, so it's possible if you jump through a few hoops... I would not go so far as to call it easy. And I'm not convinced that this method completely avoids any and all Facebook tracking.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

for chrome/chromium type browser users, this works quite well...also click on the review tab...DAMIEN

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... lmjkfidoef
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

interestingly there is also a "Block Facebook" for Firefox too:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
which Blocks the FaceBook for a given Time Period - - probably more for folks who are not self-motivated.

Return to “Open Chat”