Difference between Timeshift and Backup Tool

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cybervigilante

Difference between Timeshift and Backup Tool

Post by cybervigilante »

I see Timeshift and Backup Tool on my Mint menu. What is the difference between them? Should I use both or just Timeshift?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Difference between Tmeshift and Backup Tool

Post by xenopeek »

Timeshift automatically creates snapshots of your operating system. So you can roll back an update if it causes problems for example. It does by default not back up user files.

Backup Tool is for backing up your user files and optionally the list of programs you installed. It makes a backup only when you tell it to do that.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Timeshift for the OS files. allows you to go back in time to when your PC was working right.

LuckyBackup for your
/home
Pictures
Downloads
Videos

etc....
https://community.linuxmint.com/softwar ... uckybackup

I tried BackupTool and it won't work on my laptop, and LuckyTool is much better and easier to use.
4.13.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

It is Much Safer to keep all backups on a separate HDD, I use an extUSB HDD.
That way if you have a HDD crash totally, like I did, you can repair things in a hurry, right back to where you were when it crashed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
cybervigilante

Post by cybervigilante »

timeshift does my OS and Backup Tool only Lists my programs. How do I backup my programs? I don't want to reinstall them all. And I noticed ts doesn't do hidden files. It all seems problematic. timeshift should give you the option to do it all, incrementally to save time.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Difference between Timeshift and Backup Tool

Post by xenopeek »

Timeshift is added as default on Linux Mint specifically for operating system restore points. Backup Tool is there for one-time use to backup user files before upgrading from one version to the next, in my opinion. For automatic backup of user files I'd use something like Deja Dup. Mixing system restore points with user files backup sounds like a recipe for losing your files.

It's fine to do system restore points on the same storage device; it's for rolling back package upgrades that caused problems. If your storage device breaks, the system restore points are also lost but that's fine because in 15 minutes you can install Linux Mint anew. It's something entirely different for user files. Those you should want to backup to a different location, so you can recover your files if your primary storage device breaks. Preferably you'd do the backup to two locations, one of them being off-site (outside your home, so in case of burglary, fire or other disaster you still have a backup of your files).
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

for a semi-permanent backup of your apps and preferences, investigate "Aptik".

and put that in a safe place.

you can take a fresh new install, then perform a recover from Aptik and you will have your pc back like it was.
or nearly so anyway.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:04 pm Timeshift is added as default on Linux Mint specifically for operating system restore points. Backup Tool is there for one-time use to backup user files before upgrading from one version to the next, in my opinion. For automatic backup of user files I'd use something like Deja Dup. Mixing system restore points with user files backup sounds like a recipe for losing your files.
Deja-Dup performs Encryption on all backups, so if that bothers the user, then do not use Deja-Dup
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

cybervigilante wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:37 pm How do I backup my programs?
If they are installed via package management (the usual method in Linux), than they are included in the system and consequently also in the TimeShift snapshots.
The program settings are usually part of the user settings inside home. Backing them up is a matter of backing up your home.
cybervigilante wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:37 pmAnd I noticed ts doesn't do hidden files.
What is "it"? TimeShift? You will hardly find hidden files in the system, usually the hidden attribute is used inside of your home.
My recommendation for backing up your home is Back in Time. Extremely flexible and able to back up automatically.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:47 am My recommendation for backing up your home is Back in Time. Extremely flexible and able to back up automatically.
Got a question on Back in Time:

what value is it, if it won't recognize a USB drive so the backups can be stored off PC?

If I can't keep my backups off PC, then I won't use it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This question deserves an own thread with more information (does the drive show in the system / file manager?). So here I only say, that I use an USB (3) drive as backup target regularly with BiT.

Return to “Beginner Questions”