So how far off is LMDE 3?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Please do some work with linux mint debian edition! You have abandoned it!

Post by Pjotr »

sdibaja wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:37 am Mate was kinda abandoned about 10 months ago after they stubbed their toes with trying to force 1.18 version into a square hole.
Mate is very much alive and under active development. :)

As recently as last month, after 11 months of hard work, the Mate team has released version 1.20:
http://mate-desktop.org/blog/2018-02-07 ... -released/
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:19 am
sdibaja wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:37 am Mate was kinda abandoned about 10 months ago after they stubbed their toes with trying to force 1.18 version into a square hole.
Mate is very much alive and under active development. :)

As recently as last month, after 11 months of hard work, the Mate team has released version 1.20:
Correct. I am a Mate user, with both Debian Stretch and Debian Buster-Sid.
I did not intend to say the Mate project was abandoned.... I meant to say Mint has abandoned Mate in LMDE.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
JohnFrumm

Post by JohnFrumm »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:19 am As recently as last month, after 11 months of hard work, the Mate team has released version 1.20:
In Mint Mate 18.3, is it a bad idea to upgrade from MATE desktop 1.18 to 1.20? I don't see it in the software manager. How does one go about upgrading to v1.20?

I never understood the how/whether/which/when software is made available in the update manager versus the software manager, or when updates are only available/compatible with newer Mint releases. More than once I have messed up my Mint install when upgrading software, so I am a little more careful (and paranoid) now.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

JohnFrumm wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:57 pm In Mint Mate 18.3, is it a bad idea to upgrade from MATE desktop 1.18 to 1.20?
Yes. Very bad.
JohnFrumm wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:57 pm I don't see it in the software manager. How does one go about upgrading to v1.20?
You don't see it, because you should stick to the Mate version that's default for Mint 18.3. Only that version has been made to fit like a glove onto Mint 18.3.
JohnFrumm

Post by JohnFrumm »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:09 pm
JohnFrumm wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:57 pm In Mint Mate 18.3, is it a bad idea to upgrade from MATE desktop 1.18 to 1.20?
Yes. Very bad.
JohnFrumm wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:57 pm I don't see it in the software manager. How does one go about upgrading to v1.20?
You don't see it, because you should stick to the Mate version that's default for Mint 18.3. Only that version has been made to fit like a glove onto Mint 18.3.
OK, thank you, Pjotr. I will wait until Mint 19 is released.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

JohnFrumm wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:31 pm OK, thank you, Pjotr. I will wait until Mint 19 is released.
Good plan. :)
c30zD

Post by c30zD »

I must say I was disappointed by the fact that the LMDE ISO hasn't been updated (now it's been over a year!) and it's kind of a bummer to see how so many new things seem to be shipped into the Main Edition while LMDE users seem to be abandoned... But on the other hand, what exactly would I ask of LMDE? It's a rolling release and it works; that's pretty much all I wanted from MInt.

I'd like to say something about SolydXK and MakuluLinux, but I haven't used them and I don't know much about them. It would be interesting to read a comparison between them and LMDE 2.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

I'm hoping to see LMDE3 in April - that's next week! :lol:

But I would spend some time trying to test it in a VM.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

my prediction for LMDE3 release:

after Mint 19 final release, perhaps same day, but after.
and Mint 19 has to come after it's new base Ubuntu 18.04 is final.

the way I read it is Mint is making a strong effort to unify the efforts for all desktops and LMDE also, to save effort and reduce app conflicts... that was my main takeaway from the January Blog post. Kudos!
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

axisofevil wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:33 am I'm not interested in Mate.
I just want the Cinnamon version.
Amen!

I have a lot of distros loaded up in VB, and I am learning "to hate" most of them as being very user unfriendly.

I acknowledge that Cinnamon has a higher overhead, but that IMO is just a cross to bear for being the easiest to use Linux on the globe.

Why should I have to learn command lines to accomplish the simplest of tasks?

Menu E and up comes Nemo

Control-ALT-F and up comes Firefox

and more that make me very happy.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
dezo

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition 3

Post by dezo »

Hei guys,
is there any experimental LMDE3 iso build to try?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Not yet. All effort is going into Cinnamon development currently, so that Linux Mint 19 and LMDE 3 can be delivered with an awesome new version of that.
Hansl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hansl »

I've seen in the blog that LMDE3 is now expected in June (2018?) — I really hope that Clem & the team will achieve this: I do like LMDE (Mate!) and I do appreciate the effort put into it, I'm not at all thrilled at the thought to switch to another dist. 
It is just that ever more problems come up with oldstable Jessie, lots of applications drop it.  Latest example: since December I cannot upgrade my Vuescan any more because it depends now on a newer libstdc++.so.6, but I now need that upgrade to support a new scanner… (Ugly workaround: LD_LIBRARY_PATH to a private libstdc++.so.6 from Stretch.) Hopefully the next switch to Debian 10 will not be that much delayed in Mint.

Thank you for your work! Hans
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

I've got a couple of programs a bit like that, where I've had to put copies of Stretch programs in my /home because the old ones don't work properly...

Perhaps the rate at which Debian produces stable upgrades is too high?
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

Once LMDE3 is out, both Cinnamon and MATE, how long will it be supported? Will it be 3 or 5 years? Thanks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

LMDE 3 will only come in a Cinnamon edition. Packages for MATE may be officially maintained for LMDE 3, that has been discussed, so one could install MATE on top of the Cinnamon edition.

LMDE 3 will be based on Debian 9 "Stretch", which will have full support till somewhere 2020 (https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases) and additional long-term support till June 2022 (https://wiki.debian.org/LTS).
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

I wonder how MATE on top of Cinnamon will work in LMDE 3. I hope it will not require much overhead. Also, do you know how long Linux Mint will support LMDE 2?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't know how long LMDE 2 will be supported by Linux Mint. Full support for Debian 8 "Jessie", on which LMDE 2 is based, ends this June but Debian LTS team then takes over long term support till April 2020. Users don't need to do anything for that. We may likely see an answer to your question with the release of LMDE 3, giving users of LMDE 2 a timetable for when they would need to upgrade.

As for MATE on top of Cinnamon, it will not require much overhead aside from the initial installation. There is already a lot of overlap between MATE and Cinnamon on Linux Mint because of the X-Apps (common applications used by all of Linux Mint's edition). We can cover the how of it in a tutorial over the release of LMDE 3.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Since my laptop crashed and i've been forced to rely on this android....how about a mint for android, that has got to be a commercially viable project..
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

mzsade wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:19 pm Since my laptop crashed and i've been forced to rely on this android....how about a mint for android, that has got to be a commercially viable project..
Linux for Droids has been attempted, but AFAIK never very successfully. Almost always very slow, usually problems with hardware drivers (what good is a touchscreen device if the touchscreen doesn't work?). I have an Asus TF700 with a Debian installation on it, it barely works at all and in fact I'm about to uninstall it. Android works pretty well on such machines, I recommend you stick with it. Now, restoring your laptop and installing Mint, whatever version, sounds feasible.

Return to “LMDE Archive”