[SOLVED] Linux Mint vs Debian

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxnewbie98

[SOLVED] Linux Mint vs Debian

Post by linuxnewbie98 »

First of all , I'd like to thank the entire community (especially some notable members as Pjotr or even the moderators who always helped me and as far as I could have experienced , Mint is probably the only distro that has such amazing support through this forum).

Since I've started using Linux Mint , I tested other distros as well (Debian , Manjaro , Kali , Tails , Parrot and others).
The point is that I enjoy so much both Debian and Mint and I'm really stuck on the decision of making one of them my OS for daily use.
Lately I keep switching from one distro to another , but I always end up coming back to either Mint or Debian.
I have a computer with 4GB RAM, 500 HDD and a 64bit CPU.
I really don't know what to choose. Any advices?
How did you manage to choose Mint among the other distros?
What do you think I should do? Someone who can manage to help me in getting a final decision?
Thanks so much!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Linux Mint vs Debian

Post by MintBean »

I doubt there's much we can say. Having used both of them, you are no doubt well aware of the pros and cons of each.

For me, Mint with Cinnamon just 'feels' the best and seems the most solid and bug free from what I've used.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Only you can decide, but you might consider Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) if you are torn between the two.
linuxnewbie98

Post by linuxnewbie98 »

MintBean wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:41 pm I doubt there's much we can say. Having used both of them, you are no doubt well aware of the pros and cons of each.

For me, Mint with Cinnamon just 'feels' the best and seems the most solid and bug free from what I've used.
Yeah , that's the problem. I can't manage to figure out the pros and cons.
The only thing I actually noticed is about the packages.
Mint seems to have many more packages than Debian and the software manager is very comfortable to use.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

linuxnewbie98

Post by linuxnewbie98 »

Thanks, but I've already read that!
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

linuxnewbie98 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:38 pm Thanks, but I've already read that!
Ok...well, LMDE 3 is coming soon, so you might want to wait if LMDE interests you at all.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

As has been said already only you can really choose which one will fit your computer needs day to day.
For me it's been Mint for quite some time. I used Debian for many years, and once set up the way you like there is not much maintenance needed, but the software can get kinda stale as to begin with debian does not upgrade much of the software once it has been released with the debian stable. You can somewhat fix that situation by using back ports and installing outside the repositories but that can create other problems. Mint on the other hand offers newer versions of software quicker. But that may not be a factor for you. I think the Mint forum here is much more helpful than debian and to me that's a big plus.

Then there is always mint LMDE that may be a good compromise for you.

Just my opinions and you'll have to weigh all such comments based upon your own use and feelings.
Good Luck in your search for a solution.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
linuxnewbie98

Post by linuxnewbie98 »

kc1di wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:48 pm As has been said already only you can really choose which one will fit your computer needs day to day.
For me it's been Mint for quite some time. I used Debian for many years, and once set up the way you like there is not much maintenance needed, but the software can get kinda stale as to begin with debian does not upgrade much of the software once it has been released with the debian stable. You can somewhat fix that situation by using back ports and installing outside the repositories but that can create other problems. Mint on the other hand offers newer versions of software quicker. But that may not be a factor for you. I think the Mint forum here is much more helpful than debian and to me that's a big plus.

Then there is always mint LMDE that may be a good compromise for you.

Just my opinions and you'll have to weigh all such comments based upon your own use and feelings.
Good Luck in your search for a solution.
Thanks for the advices! Your answer helped me a lot.
I've just decided I'm switching back to Linux Mint.
I tried Cinnamon (live) before on my computer and it works quite well.
Though I'm undecided whether to run Cinnamon or XFCE!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Install Debian and then install Mint--dual boot. I'd split that hard drive into 250 gb for each. That way you can enjoy both.
Edit: Xfce on Debian, Cinnamon on Mint :)
linuxnewbie98

Post by linuxnewbie98 »

I ended up choosing Mint XFCE and removing Debian!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

linuxnewbie98 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:52 am I ended up choosing Mint XFCE and removing Debian!
think you made a good choice - enjoy ;)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
linuxnewbie98

Post by linuxnewbie98 »

kc1di wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:57 am
linuxnewbie98 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:52 am I ended up choosing Mint XFCE and removing Debian!
think you made a good choice - enjoy ;)
Thank you so much man for your help :))
Now I'm trying to customize XFCE.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Mint Xfce is pretty sweet :)
linuxnewbie98

Post by linuxnewbie98 »

KBD47 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:40 pm
Mint Xfce is pretty sweet :)
You're right , I like it :)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: [SOLVED] Linux Mint vs Debian

Post by Portreve »

Whenever I've set up a server, I've always preferred Debian for that role.

It's solid and wears like iron. Totally fire-and-forget. You know, like a server ought to be.

Debian as a desktop OS is a bit harsh because there's things which it does not automate, and so you have to know your way around a bit more, and not mind putting up with extra little hassles here and there.

The original purpose of Ubuntu was to be a "friendly Debian" distro. Later, LinuxMint basically took up that mantle.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux”