Could not refresh lis of updates [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Could not refresh lis of updates [SOLVED]

Post by chazb »

Running LM 17, Quana.
What is this and how do I fix it,,,,,,,,,,,,,Reading package lists... Error!
W: GPG error: https://dl.winehq.org xenial InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 818A435C5FCBF54A
W: Duplicate sources.list entry https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial/main i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/dl.winehq.org_wine-builds_ubuntu_dists_xenial_main_binary-i386_Packages)
E: Read error - read (5: Input/output error)
E: Problem opening /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I have a Public Key, but it is for email use. When I got it I thought it was also for this sort of thing, but apparently I am wrong. So how do I get a Public Key for my updating process?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Could not refresh lis of updates

Post by catweazel »

chazb wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:57 pm So how do I get a Public Key for my updating process?
You don't. The mirror you are using has borked itself. However you have two problems. Start Software Sources and select "Additional repositories", then remove duplicate repos. Next, select a different mirror in "Official repositories" then update the cache.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Problem number 3: remove all xenial repositories. For Mint 17.x, you want Trusty repositories.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jimallyn wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:34 pm Problem number 3: remove all xenial repositories. For Mint 17.x, you want Trusty repositories.
Crikey! I missed that, Jim. Thank you.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Okay,

following along, and this menu comes up.

Which items are safe to click on?

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:21 pm Okay,

following along, and this menu comes up.

Which items are safe to click on?
I know you're trying to learn, but it's poor form to hijack someone else's thread. It's also mentioned in the forum rules.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

catweazel wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:15 pm
chazb wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:57 pm So how do I get a Public Key for my updating process?
You don't. The mirror you are using has borked itself. However you have two problems. Start Software Sources and select "Additional repositories", then remove duplicate repos. Next, select a different mirror in "Official repositories" then update the cache.
So Okay did as you suggested, and it appears to have fixed the problem. Just curious, what is the problem with ths Xnial Repository?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

chazb wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:34 pm Just curious, what is the problem with ths Xnial Repository?
Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04, Xenial Xerus. The repo you had is for Xenial. It doesn't support Mint 17, which is based on Ubuntu 14.04, Trusty Tahr.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

catweazel wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 pm I know you're trying to learn, but it's poor form to hijack someone else's thread. It's also mentioned in the forum rules.
I fully agree. But one things can be said already here: If the button to refresh the cache gets displayed, you have to click it.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

catweazel wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:37 pm
chazb wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:34 pm Just curious, what is the problem with ths Xnial Repository?
Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04, Xenial Xerus. The repo you had is for Xenial. It doesn't support Mint 17, which is based on Ubuntu 14.04, Trusty Tahr.
One last question,,,,,Is there a publication that makes these issues known? Or is it information gathered through the forum on a hodgepodge bases?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Could not refresh lis of updates [SOLVED]

Post by Cosmo. »

In the release notes for every Mint version (here for Qiana) the Ubuntu base is named (see at the bottom of the page). You can also look it up in the software sources, where the codename for the Ubuntu version (trusty in this case) is named.

Return to “Beginner Questions”